Test finds no ochratoxin-A contamination in 26 brands of 3-in-1 coffee

webfact

Test finds no ochratoxin-A contamination in 26 brands of 3-in-1 coffee

By Thai PBS

S__17793068.jpg

A test of 26 brands of 3-in-1 coffee on sales in the Thai market reveals that none of them is contaminated with ochratoxin-A, a kind of naturally occurring toxins, according to a report by Chalad Sue Magazine of the Foundation for Consumers.

However, the report said four of the 26 brands have a high sugar content and six of them do not have a Thai label on them. The 26 brands of 3-in-1 coffee which has been tested for ochratoxin-A are:

Carabao Espresso; Owl Instant Coffee (Strong); French Cafe Rich Gold; AIK CheongH White Coffee; Buddy Dean Extra Roast; Carabao Rich Aroma; Khao Shong Espresso; Birdy Robusta; BenCafe Instant Coffee Mix; Nescafe Blend&Brew Rich Aroma; Nescafe Gold Cappuccino; Super Ginseng Coffee; Dao Coffee Premium; UCC Original; Super Coffee Original; Moccona Trio Expresso; Cobizco Pop2nd Premix Coffee Instant; SUPER ONE Instant Coffee Mix; Arabus Arabica; G7 coffeemix; Mister Cup; G7 Coffee; SUNDAY Instant Coffee Mix; Khao Thalu Coffee Double-short; MASUSA CAFE Natural Herbs Coffee Kopi Herbal Traditional; and MUZ Espresso.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/test-finds-no-ochratoxin-contamination-26-brands-3-1-coffee/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-14

I thought it odd at first that Thailand had loads of "instant" coffees but almost no ground (drip/perk) coffees. There was a story a few months ago where the police busted a group that was mixing and packaging coffee powders at someone's home (like, in metal tubs outside). Made me think twice about using any of the packets hotels and "resorts" often have in their rooms.

I tried finding a drip coffee maker a few years ago. Had such a hard time that when I did find one, I bought 2 of them. Little brewers that hold about 4 cups. 
I eventually figured it out. Regular drip makers require a lot of electricity and are really only good for 2 things. Making a pot of coffee and heating a ration pack (when you are at work and forgot to bring something to eat).
However, with the standard Thai-style water heaters you have hot water to make soup, tea, coffee or whatever. The standard "3in1" mixes also mean you don't have to buy sugar and cream separately and are convenient for people who just want a single cup, or for hotels or other places where there isn't enough demand to keep pots of drip coffee on the go all the time.
Hence, less of a demand for Fine or Regular grind coffees.

Oh crap, I just remembered that I had actually bought a Perk Coffee maker from Amazon a couple years ago. Used it a couple times but getting regular grind beans was a pain in the patootie so it is stuffed in the back of a kitchen cabinet now. 

Back where I used to live in Canada, we used propane for lights, fridges and stoves and everyone used a perk coffee maker. One of those great smells that makes you pause and savour the aroma, just like fresh baked bread and fresh cut grass.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

And the content of coffee is laughable.

All magic products of modern food technology.

In my travels I often bring back some large bags of 3 in 1 coffee from Vietnam. The Thai friends I give it to rave about it as compared to the local 3 in 1 on sale in Thailand.

As much as I know this cr@p is amongst the most awful of things to consume I'm a little relieved with this news because I can't help the sugar rush in the morning. 

One of these and a cigarette in the morning keeps everything moving.

Edited by coulson

Ah I wonder? Big tummy problems of late even the doctors seem to not know and as I drink around 30 cups a day, very possible something in there as did not have this before taking up 3 in 1, back to the coffee jar me thinks or start drinking beer, na that stuff makes me ill with the smell of it.

For any food hazard I always use the RASFF-database of the combined RU food authorities ( now still 28 member states) in which all their negative findings is notified. see https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/?event=searchResultList 

For coffee I find 89 notifications, since 1987, even 4 in 2016.

For the rest: google + ochratoxin A in coffee give quite some insight information.

Mycotoxines, like ochratoxin A are mostly storage problems: the fungea Aspergillus and Penicillium produce this, best to compare with their "shit" when the product is stored too wet, with result the fungus can grow and produce its "shit".

So, just make a "moment picture" of only a very small part of the production has the same value as... being on Paragon Square, make a picture of the people passing, find two out of 4 persons with bleached hair and say: 50% Thai people have belached hear.

Unfortunately I had to find out, many owners of Thai domestic suppliers do not have food safety at the top of their interest list