Tubes - Which Brands are Recommended

Mutt Daeng

I use Kenda which are sold in most of the bike shops locally, and Bontrager, which are more expensive.

I currently have two tubes of a brand I don't recall, as I replaced the tubes when I replaced the tyres recently. 

I forget which brand the old tyres were, but they were rubbish, and I cycled 10 km to get my new front tyre.  From the same shop I bought the rear tyre in, which I had to buy in rather a hurry as I had discovered my old (not so old - a couple of thousand km) rear tyre bulging alarmingly when 20 km from home, and I couldn't think of a nearer bike shop open on a Sunday.  They're nominally 700x35, I think, or maybe 700  x 32.  I think my spare tubes are rated for 28 - 32 mm tyres, as I reckon they will fit my buddies' 25 mm tyres as well as my 35s.

That's probably not very helpful, is it?

One other thing - I always carry a puncture repair kit, but if you patch the tube, you need to put it straight back on the bike.  If you keep a patched tube as spare, chances are the patch will have failed when you want to put it on the bike, but a patched tube will last just fine within the tyre - I've never had a patch fail in the tyre, and I've never had one survive as a spare until I needed it.  I reckon if I get a puncture on the outward leg, I'll try to repair it, so that I still have a spare. If I use my spare, generally I'll head straight home for fear of a second puncture.

SC

I'm generally using butyl Continentals, but will 'stretch' to Michelin latex when available. 700x25. For MTB I prefer tubeless.

For your intended use, I'd probably stick with butyl in any of the popular brands. You may find Schrader valves [like a car] convenient, but not in that size. I like Presta valves; though need to check the right stem length and fitment of a retaining nut to reduce possible damage at the valve base.

Edited by bobfish