Anyone managed to get a 7card to pay cashless in 7-11?

wump

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Looks like you are seeking for something to complain about.

I always pay cash except for larger purchases (a new TV for example), and here in Thailand I get held up by people paying small amounts using their debit cards or credit cards, and it is slow. When I use cash it doesn't take as long by far. When it becomes a simple tap of the card, a card that women will still spend a good time looking for in their bags, I will stop being a Luddite and join the club. People aren't in that much of a hurry here, even fast food takes a while.

I believe 7-11 sell True money cards, is that when you mean? I don't see a need for me to loan the 7-11 company money for free,  an NFC enabled bank debit card or something similar on my phone would do that job.

I just noticed a sign in my local 7-11 that said they accepted credit cards for purchases of 300 Baht or more

17 minutes ago, wump said:

No NFC and probably PIN+signature. Will take ages and much slower than cash.

Why would you make such an assumption without trying? I use my credit and debit cards, both Thai and American all the time in Thailand to make purchases.Could be the same at 7-11 as all the other retailers i've used cards at. Yes, sometimes I have to sign, but I don't really care about that or NFC. Been doing this for many years without a problem.

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

Or the 30 something woman , who puts her goods on the counter infront of the cashier and stands there with the till beeping away , and then gets a shock when the cashier expects her to pay for the things and then spends the next five minutes trying to find her purse

Or the 20m something that just found out that his card doesn't work and spends 10 minutes arguing with a cashier that doesn't speak English.

2 hours ago, Dan5 said:

Why would you make such an assumption without trying? I use my credit and debit cards, both Thai and American all the time in Thailand to make purchases.Could be the same at 7-11 as all the other retailers i've used cards at. Yes, sometimes I have to sign, but I don't really care about that or NFC. Been doing this for many years without a problem.

Just remember how positive you are in that post when your bank gets hacked and your cards are just pieces of plastic that don't do anything, or when they get cloned and someone steals all your money, or when you just leave them at home and don't have enough money for taxi fare to get back home, a 5 hour walk away in 36 degree heat.

2 hours ago, wump said:

Some of the cash transactions take a lot of time .

The 7/11's that I go too all seem to have time consuming tills

The money isnt kept in the actual till , the money is kept in a little compartment behind the counter at knee level , so, when you give then a 1000 Baht , they put that into the little compartment and then get smaller notes from another little compartment . They then have to count that money out three times and then give you your change , after counting that out three times

It would be a whole lot quicker if they just left the money in the till

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

The money isnt kept in the actual till , the money is kept in a little compartment behind the counter at knee level , so, when you give then a 1000 Baht , they put that into the little compartment and then get smaller notes from another little compartment . They then have to count that money out three times and then give you your change , after counting that out three times

??????????????????????????????

Not in any 7 11 I've been in. Always in the till, unless they ran out of small money.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not in any 7 11 I've been in. Always in the till, unless they ran out of small money.

I been in the same 711's he frequents because i see it too. I too use cash but if i could get a card like that (not a creditcard) but 711 card it would be far faster for sure. If you could fill it with mobile banking it would be perfect. 

6 hours ago, wump said:

CC payments are usually faster in Thailand since the staff needs to count the money about 100 times and then again when they need to give some money back :stoner:

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I spent quite some time in Thailand and for 1000 they don't have change in the till for I'd say over 80% of cases.

1 hour ago, wump said:

I spent quite some time in Thailand and for 1000 they don't have change in the till for I'd say over 80% of cases.

Well, I live >12 years in Thailand and not once the 7-11 didn't have change from 1000 baht. And I buy there a few times per week for some daily items. Like a 2 liter bottle of milk, bread etc. With 2 kids we spend quite a lot at the 7-11. That's in  Bangkok, but also during any travel around Thailand it never happened that they didn't have change of 1000.

True, in Thailand there are a lot of shops which don't have change from a 1000, but in my experience the 7-11s always have. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I been in the same 711's he frequents because i see it too. I too use cash but if i could get a card like that (not a creditcard) but 711 card it would be far faster for sure. If you could fill it with mobile banking it would be perfect. 

Well, my wife has a 7-11 card and she asks me to use it sometimes,  but I don't like it, since many time the reader has a problem at 'our' 7-11.

4 hours ago, Cheops said:

Well, I live >12 years in Thailand and not once the 7-11 didn't have change from 1000 baht. And I buy there a few times per week for some daily items. Like a 2 liter bottle of milk, bread etc. With 2 kids we spend quite a lot at the 7-11. That's in  Bangkok, but also during any travel around Thailand it never happened that they didn't have change of 1000.

True, in Thailand there are a lot of shops which don't have change from a 1000, but in my experience the 7-11s always have. 

With 'no change' I meant they have to get it from under the till. Of course they always have change. I have a theory that most 1000 Baht notes are actually changed for smaller coins in 7-Elevens as most sellers have a hard time changing them.

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

Or people didn't use the 7-11 as a source of change, buying a single cheap item and paying with the largest denomination bill there is. I see what you talk of but mostly, if I pay with a 500 for 2-300 worth of purchases, they are quite quick. If there are 2-3 in front of you, you will be waiting a little, They aren't really very quick.... the way they scan things often seems hap-hazard. Not much space behind the counter, items on display, her phone etc etc.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or people didn't use the 7-11 as a source of change, buying a single cheap item and paying with the largest denomination bill there is. I see what you talk of but mostly, if I pay with a 500 for 2-300 worth of purchases, they are quite quick. Mostly though, if there are 2-3 in front of you, you will be waiting a little, They aren't really very quick.... the way they scan things often seems hap-hazard.

I got one of the 7-11 Cards a few years ago and keep it topped up to a few hundred baht at all times . Less small change and I have no need for the stupid stamps, points are applied electronically. What ever one can exchange for equally useless. A small teacup with a Hello Kitty or Rirakuma  bear on it.

I do use 7/11 to break a nung paan. What do you expect me to do get on a Tuk Tuk to get a mai mee?

6 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I got one of the 7-11 Cards a few years ago and keep it topped up to a few hundred baht at all times . Less small change and I have no need for the stupid stamps, points are applied electronically. What ever one can exchange for equally useless. A small teacup with a Hello Kitty or Rirakuma  bear on it.

I do use 7/11 to break a nung paan. What do you expect me to do get on a Tuk Tuk to get a mai mee?

Well having change here is often a problem I can suggest more nights out on the beer then you always have pockets full of wet 100s and 20s. Although I have taken to always getting amounts from the ATM that end in 900. And some days I even go to the teller and get larger notes changed, so I have a supply of change.

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well having change here is often a problem I can suggest more nights out on the beer then you always have pockets full of wet 100s and 20s. Although I have taken to always getting amounts from the ATM that end in 900. And some days I even go to the teller and get larger notes changed, so I have a supply of change.

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or people didn't use the 7-11 as a source of change, buying a single cheap item and paying with the largest denomination bill there is. I see what you talk of but mostly, if I pay with a 500 for 2-300 worth of purchases, they are quite quick. Mostly though, if there are 2-3 in front of you, you will be waiting a little, They aren't really very quick.... the way they scan things often seems hap-hazard.

I do the ATM pulls ending in 900. The Bangkok Bank ATM is right outside anyway but not always needed.

On 11/17/2017 at 12:53 PM, dotpoom said:

Strange how different people have different experiences. I myself find people paying with a credit card annoying. The girl at the till has to do a bit of fiddleing on the cash register, then she gets a pad and a pen and hands it to the customer, he in turn has to sign that and hand it back while she is standing there waiting. Then she moves back to the till and the transaction is completed.

I am the type of person who would have the money out and ready long before getting to a till.

I will admit though, what annoys me even more are ladies who seem to act as if everything in the store is free and only realise that it has to be actually paid for when the price is rung up on the till ....then and only then do they start rooting for money in their bags....after been standing in the Q for a period of time when they could have been getting it out and have it at the ready.

Still, at the end of the day these are luxuary problems. Many in this world don't have the money to shop in a store.

again well said ......also

on bts bim and himbo's  searching for coins to put in machine when they are up  , but not before  .

Edited by mikiea

Wechat, etc. Part of the "zero-baht tour" problem. If you don't read Chinese and have a China Union Account doubt you can benefit. They go to various  businesses, some of them Chinese owned front companies with Thai nominees owned and get a discount, paid directly from some site.

7/11 is Thai owned but of course they are getting paid too. You really think Thailand would allow hordes of Chinese following flags otherwise? The Chinese sometimes go to Chiang Mai bars and pull girls but they don't buy houses, gold, and useless bottom lands for them at inflated prices. They don't become regulars shining a bar stool with their backside for years and in turn supporting multiple families.  They don"t go in for stuffing their gobs with Christmas Dinners from Chez Pierres' quaffing expensive wines at triple market prices.

But still Chinese and Asians of all nations are preferred over the Western tourist. Why is that ? Overall they must be spending more, the bottom line. Thais are not stupid.

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

20 hours ago, wump said:

Maybe in quiet ones, but the ones I use would make 1,000 baht in small change every 10 to 15 minutes, so they aren't going to be going under the counter.

I often buy something small to break a 1,000 bill in 7 11 because I know they always have lots of money.