3BB vs TOT vs CAT - Fiber optic ISP compare (November 2017)

Interesting and seems to fit with my impression of absolute speed and response times. Couldn't say what the iptv is like because I don't watch TV but I do wonder how the non satellite fed bars (and such like) in town manage to broadcast live sports. I'm on the 150/50 3BB fibre package since the last couple of months (same price as the 15/1 3BB broadband I had before: 963 Baht) and it has made not the slightest difference with regard to general surfing but then I wouldn't expect it to as the amount of data is relatively small so the speed increase would likely be imperceptible.... speed increase on 300/300 or 1200/75 Baud and you would notice it!

Biggest bonus for me is being able to upload a video to YT in minutes rather than an hour or so whilst at the same time being able to do other things such as live streaming or Skype calls.

• Like 1

FYI. CAT has a business package that allows increase in gateway access. It is my understanding from someone who claimed to know, that CAT own the Thai international gateway and many of the international cables. 

My personal experience with CAT is that the Techs can give you more access to international gateway in order to help improve IPTV streaming speeds. I live 15km outside Hua Hin but have CAT fibre 60/20. Able to stream sport in HD quality.

1 hour ago, EcigAmateur said:

Interesting, thank you for posting, but these results are valid for your places, but someone around could get very different results.

To my knowledge, one can only count on the ISP's promised speed to nearest proxy-server. Testing speed out in the real World depend of so many factors, that it can change from day-to-day, or hour-to-hour, or...
–and furthermore routers, and server-loads at various data-centers etc. may slow down the speed – even locally, as your private fast connection in real may also be shared – and on top of all that, what about the special Thai "single gateway" to the outside..?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ICECOOL said:

FYI. CAT has a business package that allows increase in gateway access. It is my understanding from someone who claimed to know, that CAT own the Thai international gateway and many of the international cables. My personal experience with CAT is that the Techs can give you more access to international gateway in order to help improve IPTV streaming speeds. I live 15km outside Hua Hin but have CAT fibre 60/20. Able to stream sport in HD quality.

I have a business package (username ends with @onnet.b). CAT's peering connections are different from other providers. I spoke with the local CAT director on Koh Samui (cool guy by the way), he said that they can't setup a special policy for a specific user.

46 minutes ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge, one can only count on the ISP's promised speed to nearest proxy-server. Testing speed out in the real World depend of so many factors, that it can change from day-to-day, or hour-to-hour, or...
–and furthermore routers, and server-loads at various data-centers etc. may slow down the speed – even locally, as your private fast connection in real may also be shared – and on top of all that, what about the special Thai "single gateway" to the outside..?

The tests are performed 24 hours per day from all 6 internet connections, but they all fit into a single pattern (described above).

I wish I could get someone with a AIS connection to test. Youtube says that AIS is the fastest ISP for loading their videos. Can't wait to test their international speeds though (because youtube has CDN servers in Thailand).

Edited by ethaniel
  • Like 1

Why don't you use a vpn server at singapore?

Or better, use a singapore server for IPTV relay / proxy so you can get much much faster speeds?

I'm downloading at 210 mbps using single connection from google and I get over 100-150 mbps from singapore using https via 3bb 200/100 in koh samui.

a https proxy also helps at singapore if you don't want to deal with iptv relay proxy

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr lamai said:

Anyone else having a superlagging issue with 3BB right now? Been like this the last 48 h and i cant really do anything online.

I live in the lamai area and dont use fiber.

Cheers

No problem with 3bb fiber, when I had copper wire it always lagged when raining. 

36 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

No problem with 3bb fiber, when I had copper wire it always lagged when raining. 

Okok thanks i have never experiences this kind of trouble. Usually just works fine or just not work. Been on same line many many years so perhaps a "forced" change to fibe is needed. Thanks

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr lamai said:

Okok thanks i have never experiences this kind of trouble. Usually just works fine or just not work. Been on same line many many years so perhaps a "forced" change to fibe is needed. Thanks

Just. Do. It.

F*сk DSL. Seriously.

Edited by ethaniel

23 hours ago, muratremix said:

Why don't you use a vpn server at singapore?

Or better, use a singapore server for IPTV relay / proxy so you can get much much faster speeds?

I'm downloading at 210 mbps using single connection from google and I get over 100-150 mbps from singapore using https via 3bb 200/100 in koh samui.

a https proxy also helps at singapore if you don't want to deal with iptv relay proxy

Most people don't have the luxury of knowing how to set this thing up. The point of this thread is to show which ISP is better for basic browsing.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:06 AM, Mr lamai said:

Just a thought, but when I experienced similar probs I took my modem to their office in Tesco chaweng & found that the problem was the charger, despite lights still appearing when tested at home!

They replaced the charger and it's fine.

HTH

• Like 1

On 06/12/2017 at 7:56 PM, ethaniel said:

image.png.b26c213dac49f47e9064c9cda7f1e620.png

Today was a bad day for TOT. International connectivity was almost unusable for at least 4 hours (confirmed on 3 separate lines).

3BB was fast as usual.

CAT slow as usual.

Thanks much - great to have a professional doing the unbiased comparison. I am surprised that regulators in the developed world don't require an independent organisation to do such an analysis to shame the false bandwidth analysis of the telcoms

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...