How much do you pay your nanny?

myellieoh

I have a part-time Burmese nanny who works from 11am to 5pm, Monday through Saturday, and I pay 12,000baht per month.

She cares for my 9 month old baby and does some house chores except cooking, and I provide lunch (as I have lunch at home) along with paid time off on public holidays.

I want her to work longer and offered 17,000baht per month for working from 9am to 6pm, 9 hours a day, 54 hours a week.

People around me say it's too much for live out nanny.

What do you think??

I live in Pattaya BTW.

Edited by myellieoh

51 minutes ago, Naam said:

nothing too expensive for your most precious "possession"!

Exactly.  I understand that childcare is expensive, even probably here.  I understand that if other people feel OP is paying above a fair rate, which may eventually raise the rate for everyone due to expectations, they are concerned.

But... childcare is expensive, and I am always saying I don't understand people who want to scrimp and save on it.  This is the person/people who keep(s) your child(ren) safe, fed, happy, comfortable, entertained, educated, disciplined, etc... and in many cases, they do this for a vast majority of the child's waking hours most days of the week.  (And in countries where daycare is more common than having a nanny/sitter in the home, they also do this in clean, safe, well-kept, well-provisioned, insured facilities in a safe, convenient location.)  Why does anyone think or expect that will be cheap?  Why would anyone want to have the lowest bidder doing this job?  If you want to be cheap on your haircut or going to the movies, fine... but on the safety and well-being of your own child??  I'm always amazed by some of the complaints I see from parents I know about the cost of childrearing ("Formula is soooo expensive!"  Then they tell me how much a can costs and how long it lasts and I do the math per day.  Um, and how much did your lunch cost today?  I know of people who will spend more per day on coffee and Diet Coke than their kid's formula for the whole day cost).  Well, yes, it's expensive.  That's no surprise.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

7 hours ago, myellieoh said:

Thanks for your replies.

Yes. My neighbors are concerned if this raises the market rate.

But those are what I wanted to hear.

If you pay "over the odds" so to speak (compared with other,s nearby) it can create a problem with your friends/neighbours......hopefully it will not,you have every right to pay her what you feel she is worth,but other maids who do not give the same level of service as yours clearly does will be asking their employers for the save level of pay....talk with your maid and explain to her to keep her salary private as it may cause problems.....:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, myellieoh said:

Thanks for your replies.

if adequate pay based on performance plus excellent perks would raise market rates in Pattaya we (wife and myself) are guilty as charged and that since a dozen years.

2 hours ago, myellieoh said:

Thanks for your replies.

Think for yourself, OP.  You obviously trust your nanny and consider her worth the money then better the devil you know.  

Raising the market rate is frankly ridiculous.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, myellieoh said:

Thanks for your replies.

I live in Phuket and our nanny just approached me and my wife yesterday telling about the going rates in Pattaya at "Maya-jellie's-house".

Please, i beg you, lower the wage of your nanny because word goes around quick and our nanny is already booking a bus ticket to your house.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Sounds like "people around you" might be a tad jealous.

If people were to find fault with me I'd rather it was because they thought I was too generous.....rather than too mean.

some people think i'm crazy because our staff has airconditioned rooms, TV, laptops and broadband internet. the contractor who build the staff house even thought that hot water in their bathroom is a luxury. but then... TIT This Is Thailand! 

so you want to pay slave wages to someone who cares for your children? what is wrong with you, from simply a parental perspective? you live in pattaya...i'm guessing your beer budget is about what you pay your nanny...if not beer, then some other indulgence that is pointless...also...if she's working 54 hours a week...she's not a nanny, she's the <deleted>@#ing mother...fawk.

The same people that are saying its too much probably believe they can get builders etc for 300 a day for small jobs, forgetting traveling and tools etc. If your happy and lucky enough to have a girl that works well, then she is worth every penny. 

The salary is depends on the following.... If the Nanny is good it is good to keep for few thousand more than compare to what others say...

1. How much safe you can trust your Nanny, and leave the baby with her.

2. Baby is happily attached with the Nanny ?

3. It would better if she have her own child, so that she will care the baby more.

4. If the salary is better she will stay longer, and you and family will be happy.

5. How much you can trust your Nanny at home, when you go out somewhere ? Because my friend used to say, some slowly take stuff little by little, which owner not noticed, like makeup stuff of his wife, hair clips, even some food(Chocolates, cookies) in the fridge etc.

4 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Nothing....far too old for a nanny....just have a coin operated girlfriend to take care of my few needs.....lol....?????

I've been through that. Your girlfriend will become more expensive pretty soon, just saying. 

My missus is expecting next May so I'm curious to hear what people are paying for Nanny's, but this time in Bangkok. 
If not too much trouble, please mention what you are paying and whether that is live-in/live out and what hours you expect them to do. 
Thanks very much.

18k + food.
Live in
Sunday’s off

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, myellieoh said:

I want her to work longer and offered 17,000baht per month for working from 9am to 6pm, 9 hours a day, 54 hours a week.

People around me say it's too much for live out nanny.

What do you think??

If you look at minimum wage and the lowest paid maids, yes, then it sound too much. But if you want reliable assistance, which even has already proved value you're happy with, it's a question only of what you fell it's worth; and paying in the upper level of any scale your employee will not easily run away for better paid work.

By the way, your hourly rate of about 70 baht equals a normal workday pay at little more than 500 baht, which is not outstanding high, but merely normal for a good reliable worker in the tourist areas – live-in low-level staff are often paid minimum wage (305 baht a day) or slightly over, and sometimes tips on top, live-in include room and normally at least one daily meal on top – compared with that, it's a good wage, but not outstanding high.

:smile:

4 hours ago, Naam said:

some people think i'm crazy because our staff has airconditioned rooms, TV, laptops and broadband internet. the contractor who build the staff house even thought that hot water in their bathroom is a luxury. but then... TIT This Is Thailand! 

You're not "crazy" – I did similar with our combined maid/nanny – happy staff makes also the master (more) happy...:smile:

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

300 baht a day for a 10 hour day. Paying above that is just

excessive tipping. The problem is you are already overpaying

and that is now the standard expected.

paying a Nanny per day and not based on performance = :bah:

i say saving pennies is a false economy when it comes to the person looking after your children.

my nanny was on 12k, plus an extra 300 if asked to stay late 500 if over night.

often she made in the 20k region especially after the mother and i split and i raised the child alone.

she was with me for 11 years and was family.