Seeking 1 Year Extension (my First) Of Non Immig 'o' On Retirement Basis

I have a multiple entry non immg o visa expiring april 11.

On my last re-entry on the 3rd the immigration officer mistakenly stamped a 30 day limit (to 1 february), instead of the usual 90 day, presumably because he looked at the wrong visa page in my passport. I therefore intend to do a visa run to get a 90 day stamp.

The requisite 800k baht I'll need has arrived in my bank only yesaterday and therefore the 3 month parking period will take me past (if only just) the april 11 visa expiry.

I will be most grateful if someone could offer any helpful comments on the following steps I am hoping will deal with my problem:

a) Visa run. What would be the nearest frontier post to Chiang Mai equipped to stamp my passport correctly?

:o If I make another trip before april 11 and get a further 90 days stamp - Is there a time limit, after April 11 but before the final 90 day expiry, for making application for an extension?

c) The general view on the 800k baht seems to be that it can be on deposit (not necessarily in a savings account) for the 3 months. Is there evidence to contradict this?

Please comment as I want to set about doing the visa run, bank deposit, etc as soon as I can. Thank you.

a. Chiang Mai City Immigration Office should be able to correct airport mistake. Did you fail to enter visa information on your arrival card?

b. You can, and should, make another trip before April 11. You will then have the extra time required for the 3 month rule. The visa does not have to be valid when you apply for extension of stay - only your current entry. So if you make a trip and return April 10 you would make your extension of stay request about June 10.

c. Three months and fixed type deposits seems to be acceptable (but I would ask Chiang Mai to be sure).

a. Chiang Mai City Immigration Office should be able to correct airport mistake. Did you fail to enter visa information on your arrival card?

b. You can, and should, make another trip before April 11. You will then have the extra time required for the 3 month rule. The visa does not have to be valid when you apply for extension of stay - only your current entry. So if you make a trip and return April 10 you would make your extension of stay request about June 10.

c. Three months and fixed type deposits seems to be acceptable (but I would ask Chiang Mai to be sure).

Lopburi,

Thanks for your very helpful reply.

The chap at the info window said they could not correct the entry stamp and that I must have not filled in the form correctly etc., but knowing myself and the time I had to do it at leisure on the 'plane I can't believe that. But won't argue about it as a trip out of the country before April 11 suits me anyhow. (Although I will also need to do a quick visa run to Mae Sai now.)

Your most useful info is that I can make my application after April - during the final 90 day entry permit and thus meet the 'money in bank 3 months' rule.

I assume I can make the application any time during that final 90 day period - not that I intend to dither.

They like to see applications for extension with between 4 and 3 week remaining on a 90 day entry but for retirement have often done earlier if you arrive with the documents in hand.

Thanks.

I think I'll try to press a bit tomorrow with CM immigration as to why they can't change the erroneous entry stamp - would save the trip to Mae Sai. I'm sure it's their mistake - eg their stamp is opposite my old expired visa page, not opp the page with the current non 'o' visa.

However I'm resigned to make the visa run.

They like to see applications for extension with between 4 and 3 week remaining on a 90 day entry but for retirement have often done earlier if you arrive with the documents in hand.

Thanks.

I think I'll try to press a bit tomorrow with CM immigration as to why they can't change the erroneous entry stamp - would save the trip to Mae Sai. I'm sure it's their mistake - eg their stamp is opposite my old expired visa page, not opp the page with the current non 'o' visa.

However I'm resigned to make the visa run.

You can correct in BKk for sure. If you rather come to Bkk than go to Mae Sai.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com