CCleaner and Avast

elfpattaya

I just updated CCleaner and without realising, it installed Avast anti-virus. On closer inspection I noticed that you have to opt out of the Avast installation.

I find Avast particularly nasty, and is not easy to totally get rid of, having to install their own uninstaller and uninstall in safe mode.

Surely you should have to opt in if you want these extra things, especially from an app that is allegedly cleaning your computer.

No more CCleaner for me.

I am not that Comp savvy elfpattaya but there should have been a choice when you downloaded CCleaner. Anyway I was introduced to Zemana (which cost me nothing) I had that Yahoo virus that takes over your search engine---always sending it to Yahoo instead of my choice. CCleaner would remove it but only until the comp rebooted, seemed to still be in the background. They (the experts) recommended CCleaner along with Zemana...it worked very well ...and has done for any other mail-wear problem.

Zemana AntiMalware is a free second opinion malware scanner designed to rescue your computer from malware that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken.

1 hour ago, elfpattaya said:

No more CCleaner for me.

Just use the slim version, no extras included. It comes out a week after the release of the standard. And it's widely available from various download sites. I'm not sure if updating slim-to-slim works, however. I use the portable version, which is also slim, and update it manually from time to time.

Otherwise, you now know to uncheck the Avast option. Hard to remember? Seems that must have been what you did when you originally installed it, unless someone else was responsible.

48 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I am not that Comp savvy elfpattaya but there should have been a choice when you downloaded CCleaner.

He didn't download but rather updated. There is a choice as explained above.

Edited by JSixpack

CCleaner has recently been taken over by Avast, hence the offering of the AV.

I have had CCleaner for years without any problems and always do a custom upgrade, I never noticed the Avast opt out, I think it appeared a little later, and I also was not expecting it. I think it's bad of Avast in not asking people to opt in, a lot of people not computer savvy will just click away.

I did remove Avast using their uninstaller in safe mode.

Edited by elfpattaya