British superstar singer throws weight behind Toon Bodyslam's charity run

rooster59

On 11/18/2017 at 4:51 PM, ronrat said:

How about throwing some coin in then you ginger minge tattooed <deleted>.

I dont care what he looks like but IMO he is not even remotely talented . I have been forced to list to him by my kids always putting that crap on the youtube channel . Drives me <deleted> nuts .

Edited by sklmeeera

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/18/2017 at 8:46 PM, overherebc said:

Only because people are stupid enough to spend their money buying his 'music.'

Let's be honest the only things that make successfull songs nowadays are the videos.

Stand these so called stars on a stage and get them to carry a song through without a loud group or half naked female backing singers/dancing girls to cover up their bad singing and it would probably be the last time anyone paid to see them.

Yet Ed Sheeran stood on stage last week on his own - just him and his guitar.

He utilizes a loop pedal - so as he goes, he actually records guitar riffs and vocals and loops them back as backing tracks for himself. He does it all live. 

So not only is he a great songwriter, a great singer - he's also an amazing performer.

You can see how he lays down the loops in this video -

You make some presumptions about crappy pop which cannot be applied to Ed - he's a really talented individual. 

The world will always be producing talented individuals - sure Freddie Mercury was very talented - but there have been many since...

12 hours ago, sklmeeera said:

I dont care what he looks like but IMO he is not even remotely talented . I have been forced to list to him by my kids always putting that crap on the youtube channel . Drives me <deleted> nuts .

What would he have to do to be talented in your opinion? Write songs that you like?

Because he's a songwriter, singer, performer, award winner, MBE holder - certainly it seems that all this is indicative of talent.

If not - what specifically would he have to do in order to qualify as talented in your view?

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

What would he have to do to be talented in your opinion? Write songs that you like?

Because he's a songwriter, singer, performer, award winner, MBE holder - certainly it seems that all this is indicative of talent.

If not - what specifically would he have to do in order to qualify as talented in your view?

Go back a few posts and you'll see I'm having a wee laugh.

I don't take any music seriously, I either like it or I don't.

I certainly don't spend time checking on the backgrounds and life styles of the artists, how many hits they have had etc etc, can't think why anyone would.

If I like any piece of music I'll say I like it, if I don't like it I'll say, quess what? Yep, I don't like it.

Why should that be a problem? Does it mean if one artist records a song and has a 'hit' with it I should automatically like everything they do?

Edited by overherebc

Go back a few posts and you'll see I'm having a wee laugh.
I don't take any music seriously, I either like it or I don't.
I certainly don't spend time checking on the backgrounds and life styles of the artists, how many hits they have had etc etc, can't think why anyone would.
If I like any piece of music I'll say I like it, if I don't like it I'll say, quess what? Yep, I don't like it.
Why should that be a problem? Does it mean if one artist records a song and has a 'hit' with it I should automatically like everything they do?
Translation: clueless but comments anyway.

How novel.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

On 11/19/2017 at 12:36 PM, billd766 said:

Thanks for that link. I enjoyed it.

I am 73 and it still surprises me that so many of the younger posters have never heard the older stuff and get upset and blame us "oldies" because we don't know much about their musical tastes.

Yet when we post things that we enjoy they mock us without knowing what we like.

I am not nor are most of us oldies foolish and living in the past. We have realised over the years that while some of our tastes change and we change with them many of the younger members haven't realised or even accepted that they too will grow older and that their tastes will also change.

I first started listening to music in the 1950s on a radio with valves (transistors were a new thing) and in coffee bars. Many of the singers I listened to then are now long dead but some of them are still around, Cliff Richards for one, and he has been in the music business for 60 years. I liked the Beatles but not the Rolling Stones and they have also been in the business over 50 years and are still playing to sell out concerts.

Will Ed Sheeran still be a "superstar" in 10 years time or will the public, who after all made him a "superstar" move on to someone younger, newer, more trendy?

I have no idea.

How come so bitter?

I'm far from a young'n but I still like to keep up on music.  Ed Sheeran is the real deal - started as a busker at 13 years old in London, and shot to fame several years ago.  Beautiful folk and rock and pop songs, excellent guitarist, wonderful voice and melodies.  Lyrics that have substance.

PErsonally, I have never seen poster denigrating older posters for their admiration for the classics.  The other way around though all the time.    My teen years were in the late 70s - til 80s.  But I have always loved good music and seek it out.  I can understand getting fossilized in music of your youth as it is tempting and there is a lot of BS out there.....but when you find new artists that sing to you it is great.

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

This is a disposable society and the me, me, me generation.

What is popular and fashionable now can be dropped in an instant if a new more popular person comes along.

For every popular singer there are thousands of unpopular ones, the one hit wonders, those who believed their own hype and failed on the way.

But pop music has always been like that, since the 1950s.  Tons of garbage and pearls and diamonds hiding there that sometimes get recognized and sometimes do not.  As well as godawful music that somehow becomes popular.

11 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Translation: clueless but comments anyway.

How novel.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

So everyone who doesn't agree with your taste in music must be clueless. What a strange statement to make.

If Einstein disagreed with you on your musical taste or knowledge no doubt you would call him clueless as well.

Cohen never seemed to be great voclist but his music was good and I still enjoy listening to it. 

Anyone can sit and explain to me what I should listen to and why I should listen to it and when they are finished my answer will always be the same, I'll decide. In the words of Cat Stevens ' It's them they know, not me.'

'You' enjoy what you like and my only comment on that is 'happy for you that you like it.'

7 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

But pop music has always been like that, since the 1950s.  Tons of garbage and pearls and diamonds hiding there that sometimes get recognized and sometimes do not.  As well as godawful music that somehow becomes popular.

I like your post but do you think you'll get away with posting something that can be described as balanced?

???

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

So everyone who doesn't agree with your taste in music must be clueless. What a strange statement to make.

If Einstein disagreed with you on your musical taste or knowledge no doubt you would call him clueless as well.

Cohen never seemed to be great voclist but his music was good and I still enjoy listening to it. 

Anyone can sit and explain to me what I should listen to and why I should listen to it and when they are finished my answer will always be the same, I'll decide. In the words of Cat Stevens ' It's them they know, not me.'

'You' enjoy what you like and my only comment on that is 'happy for you that you like it.'

I love Cohen, actually discovered him in my late 20s.  Radiohead in my mid 30s.  It was lovely learning their catalogs.

I also agree that either music 'sings' to you or it doesn't.  No way to force someone to like music.

I use Spotify to find new music....it's 200 Baht a month for the entire world's song catalog in your pocket (and computer).  It does a great job finding music I ay like, based on what I download or listen to.  You should give it a shot. 

On 11/18/2017 at 6:10 PM, BangkokReady said:

Not my type of music, but I think it's great that someone so odd looking can get famous based on talent.

It is one of his own put downs. He said he could not  rely on his looks. :) Not many ginger celebrities and few and far between successful ginger solo artists.  

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It is one of his own put downs. He said he could not  rely on his looks. :) Not many ginger celebrities and few and far between successful ginger solo artists.  

Yeah he looks like a character out of Lord of the Rings.  But a volcano of talent.

21 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Didn't John Lennon say in 1964 that they only had a few years left.

He may have done, but the Beatles didn't really get started until about 1962 and broke up as the Beatles in 1970. He was correct there, but the individual members went on in their own ways in pop music though Ringo moved into voiceovers and character acting on TV as he didn't really make it on his own as a pop star.

1 hour ago, tominbkk said:

How come so bitter?

I'm far from a young'n but I still like to keep up on music.  Ed Sheeran is the real deal - started as a busker at 13 years old in London, and shot to fame several years ago.  Beautiful folk and rock and pop songs, excellent guitarist, wonderful voice and melodies.  Lyrics that have substance.

PErsonally, I have never seen poster denigrating older posters for their admiration for the classics.  The other way around though all the time.    My teen years were in the late 70s - til 80s.  But I have always loved good music and seek it out.  I can understand getting fossilized in music of your youth as it is tempting and there is a lot of BS out there.....but when you find new artists that sing to you it is great.

How come you have worked out that I am bitter?

I am not but my musical tastes lie in the 1930s to the 1990s music and very little of what I hear of moderm music appeals to me. I thoroughly enjoy british folk music as well as fascinating Aida (Google them) yet few new artitsts make me want to stop and listen. I also like ABBA, the Spice Girls but not Bananarama, Tina Turner but not Ike and Tina, The Beatles but not the Rolling Stones, a lot of US Country music, many of the big bands of the 30s, 40s and 50s but they are no more, Louis Armstrong, Glen Miller, The Andrews Sisters.

I detested punk, garage and grunge music of the 80s and 90s as it was so (to me) pointless.

The problem is what is good music to me may not be good music you you and vice versa. I come from an era where I can hear and understand the words that are sung, the music is pleasant to my ears, there is no profanity, as it is never necessary or clever, but it does attract some people.

I don't like rap either though some of it is well done and out together.

How about your choices?

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not at all - but anyone who calls someone 'talentless' because it doesn't tickle their tasted buds is a retard.

I can recognize talent in a musician even if I don't like the music.

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

Not at all - but anyone who calls someone 'talentless' because it doesn't tickle their tasted buds is a retard.

I can recognize talent in a musician even if I don't like the music.

Don't think anyone is argueing that point.

All I can say is that I don't hero worship and talented or not talented people in the music world have absolutely no effect on my life. Good luck to them if they make millions.

All the concerts I went to were freebies and I honestly never bought a recording of anything by anyone. Copied a few though. ?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Don't think anyone is argueing that point.

All I can say is that I don't hero worship and talented or not talented people in the music world have absolutely no effect on my life. Good luck to them if they make millions.

All the concerts I went to were freebies and I honestly never bought a recording of anything by anyone. Copied a few though. ?

Very classy... so you've only ever stolen music.

How would you feel if you got to work and someone had cleaned all the toilets already and you couldn't earn anything that day?

Same thing.

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

How come you have worked out that I am bitter?

I am not but my musical tastes lie in the 1930s to the 1990s music and very little of what I hear of moderm music appeals to me. I thoroughly enjoy british folk music as well as fascinating Aida (Google them) yet few new artitsts make me want to stop and listen. I also like ABBA, the Spice Girls but not Bananarama, Tina Turner but not Ike and Tina, The Beatles but not the Rolling Stones, a lot of US Country music, many of the big bands of the 30s, 40s and 50s but they are no more, Louis Armstrong, Glen Miller, The Andrews Sisters.

I detested punk, garage and grunge music of the 80s and 90s as it was so (to me) pointless.

The problem is what is good music to me may not be good music you you and vice versa. I come from an era where I can hear and understand the words that are sung, the music is pleasant to my ears, there is no profanity, as it is never necessary or clever, but it does attract some people.

I don't like rap either though some of it is well done and out together.

How about your choices?

Nice eclectic mix - I agree we like what we like.  But I do try to stay open to new sounds, or old sounds I may not have listened to before.

My grandma raised me on Glen Campbell, my dad on Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck, with lots of Brazilian jazz thrown in for fun.  My mom loved The Carpenters and the Beatles (and some Abba thrown in for good measure).  So I started off with a nice repertoire of favorites.

I learned sax at a young age and my brother learned trumpet.  Our music teacher was a hungarian immigrant who played 15 instruments and seemed to be able to teach them all - to a certain extent.  H would bring yellowed manuscripts of 20s and 30s jazz and we would be a trio playing for a couple hours at a time - it was an escape for him to play this music.  Fun to learn those songs at 11 years old as well.

I adored all the Beatles albums when I was young - and most of John Lennon's solo albums - would play them on my little record player down in the basement (this was when I was about 8-10 years old).  We were camping down at the beach when the radio officially announced their breakup - my mom was so depressed about that.

Around 13 I discovered Billy Joel, Jethro Tull, and then a whole slew of other music.  I would listen to the new hits every morning on the big console down in the living room before going to school.  A friend introduced me to The Rolling Stones - I liked them but I was much more a Beatles person.  Got obsessed with the Doors around 14 years old.

I went to a performance art magnet school at 16 and was introduced to more classical, lots of big band jazz, and lovely urban music.  Hip hop was coming alive and I loved it.  MTV arrived and I loved watching music videos, so much good music back then...Duran Duran, Human League, Culture Club, Wham, Hall and Oates - well the list goes on and on.  I really connected with the 80s sound and still like it.  But I loved blues, saw Muddy Waters live, that was amazing.  Also loved fringe acts like Klaus Nomi and Nina Hagen.

Went to Uni, more 80s music, lived in Mexico for a year on exchange and adored Mariachi and folk music, and loved pop stars Jose Luis Perales and Miguel Bose, as well as folk music like Juan Manual Serrat and others.  They are who I really learned Spanish from.  I also became a huge Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young fan - their music was super popular in Mexico at that time.

Back home and was introduced to XTC from a friend.  That was when Skylarking came out.  I was drawn to them like a moth to a flame and religiously followed them through their career until 96.  Amazing band.  I enjoyed some punk like Suicidal Tendencies, Camper Van Beethoven, The Clash, etc.  Oh, my obsession with Steely Dan also began.

In the 90s fell for REM, Robyn Hitchcock, and my favorite band, Radiohead - who I feel figured out how to take musical expression (in a pop-rock sense) to the next level.  Liam Gallagher referred to Radiohead as 'music to stroke your goatee to', hahaha.  But the are the best in my opinion - so free and genius.  I love Nirvana, Crash Test Dummies, Weezer, Bare Naked Ladies (if you like Beatles you would like them). etc etc etc......

Lately I am into Americana and folk-country-alternative....don't know what to call it exactly.  Jason Isbell is the bomb, if you like smart beautiful country check him out.  Also groups like Wilco, or Sturgill Simpson have my ear.  I still play music, jazz and pop ukulele and sing too, I do covers and write my own songs as well.

This is just stream of consciousness,  I always have some band or another I am listening to.  Like I said, with Spotify I can explore whatever I want.  I was an avid collector and spent so much money on albums, cassettes, CDs....then in the late 90s til recently became a big time pirate.  now that I am financially comfortable spending 300 baht a month for the world's catalog at my fingertips is something I love having (through Spotify).

Haha longer than I thought I was going to write....hope it gives you and idea of where I stand musically.

3 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Nice eclectic mix - I agree we like what we like.  But I do try to stay open to new sounds, or old sounds I may not have listened to before.

My grandma raised me on Glen Campbell, my dad on Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck, with lots of Brazilian jazz thrown in for fun.  My mom loved The Carpenters and the Beatles (and some Abba thrown in for good measure).  So I started off with a nice repertoire of favorites.

I learned sax at a young age and my brother learned trumpet.  Our music teacher was a hungarian immigrant who played 15 instruments and seemed to be able to teach them all - to a certain extent.  H would bring yellowed manuscripts of 20s and 30s jazz and we would be a trio playing for a couple hours at a time - it was an escape for him to play this music.  Fun to learn those songs at 11 years old as well.

I adored all the Beatles albums when I was young - and most of John Lennon's solo albums - would play them on my little record player down in the basement (this was when I was about 8-10 years old).  We were camping down at the beach when the radio officially announced their breakup - my mom was so depressed about that.

Around 13 I discovered Billy Joel, Jethro Tull, and then a whole slew of other music.  I would listen to the new hits every morning on the big console down in the living room before going to school.  A friend introduced me to The Rolling Stones - I liked them but I was much more a Beatles person.  Got obsessed with the Doors around 14 years old.

I went to a performance art magnet school at 16 and was introduced to more classical, lots of big band jazz, and lovely urban music.  Hip hop was coming alive and I loved it.  MTV arrived and I loved watching music videos, so much good music back then...Duran Duran, Human League, Culture Club, Wham, Hall and Oates - well the list goes on and on.  I really connected with the 80s sound and still like it.  But I loved blues, saw Muddy Waters live, that was amazing.  Also loved fringe acts like Klaus Nomi and Nina Hagen.

Went to Uni, more 80s music, lived in Mexico for a year on exchange and adored Mariachi and folk music, and loved pop stars Jose Luis Perales and Miguel Bose, as well as folk music like Juan Manual Serrat and others.  They are who I really learned Spanish from.  I also became a huge Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young fan - their music was super popular in Mexico at that time.

Back home and was introduced to XTC from a friend.  That was when Skylarking came out.  I was drawn to them like a moth to a flame and religiously followed them through their career until 96.  Amazing band.  I enjoyed some punk like Suicidal Tendencies, Camper Van Beethoven, The Clash, etc.  Oh, my obsession with Steely Dan also began.

In the 90s fell for REM, Robyn Hitchcock, and my favorite band, Radiohead - who I feel figured out how to take musical expression (in a pop-rock sense) to the next level.  Liam Gallagher referred to Radiohead as 'music to stroke your goatee to', hahaha.  But the are the best in my opinion - so free and genius.  I love Nirvana, Crash Test Dummies, Weezer, Bare Naked Ladies (if you like Beatles you would like them). etc etc etc......

Lately I am into Americana and folk-country-alternative....don't know what to call it exactly.  Jason Isbell is the bomb, if you like smart beautiful country check him out.  Also groups like Wilco, or Sturgill Simpson have my ear.  I still play music, jazz and pop ukulele and sing too, I do covers and write my own songs as well.

This is just stream of consciousness,  I always have some band or another I am listening to.  Like I said, with Spotify I can explore whatever I want.  I was an avid collector and spent so much money on albums, cassettes, CDs....then in the late 90s til recently became a big time pirate.  now that I am financially comfortable spending 300 baht a month for the world's catalog at my fingertips is something I love having (through Spotify).

Haha longer than I thought I was going to write....hope it gives you and idea of where I stand musically.

The only musical instrument I ever played was the violin in my secondary school orchestra, and that for only 3 weeks before I was fired.

My musical ability can be compared with that of a hippopotamus dancing to Saturday Night Fever. On a happier note my son can play the guitar a bit and is learning more weekly.

I like some of your music but not all. XTC, the Doors and Radiohead do nothing much for me. Joni Mitchell, Culture Club I enjoyed. I do like Annie Lennox with and without the Eurythmics. I used to enjoy Alison Moyet who was in Culture club be she became less popular after a while though she is still around doing concerts.

It is amazing when people on the forum open up on stuff like this compared to the political threads where they seem to be at each others throats half the time.

I suppose this is a bit off the topic of Ginger Ed.

:sorry:

45 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The only musical instrument I ever played was the violin in my secondary school orchestra, and that for only 3 weeks before I was fired.

My musical ability can be compared with that of a hippopotamus dancing to Saturday Night Fever. On a happier note my son can play the guitar a bit and is learning more weekly.

I like some of your music but not all. XTC, the Doors and Radiohead do nothing much for me. Joni Mitchell, Culture Club I enjoyed. I do like Annie Lennox with and without the Eurythmics. I used to enjoy Alison Moyet who was in Culture club be she became less popular after a while though she is still around doing concerts.

It is amazing when people on the forum open up on stuff like this compared to the political threads where they seem to be at each others throats half the time.

I suppose this is a bit off the topic of Ginger Ed.

:sorry:

Alison Moyet never sang with Culture Club, it was Yazoo. 

Agree she was/is still fab. On tour at the mo. 

On 11/20/2017 at 11:38 AM, Dagnabbit said:

I dont care what shitty awards he has got . He is crap and its teenybopper crap muzac and if you like it fair enough , but you have a shit taste in music .

On 11/20/2017 at 11:38 AM, Dagnabbit said:

I dont care what shitty awards he has got . He is crap and its teenybopper crap muzac and if you like it fair enough , but you have a shit taste in music .

On 11/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, Dagnabbit said:

He utilizes a loop pedal - so as he goes, he actually records guitar riffs and vocals and loops them back as backing tracks for himself. He does it all live. 

.Anyone can do that its no big deal . Even i can do that .

Edited by sklmeeera

18 minutes ago, sklmeeera said:

18 minutes ago, sklmeeera said:

Anyone can do that its no big deal . Even i can do that .

Well if anyone can do that, even you as you say, then why aren't YOU up on the international stage earning loadsa money just like he is?