15 Year Old Danish Boy Forced To Stay In Thailand

george

15 Year Old Danish Boy Forced to Stay in Thailand

CHA AM: -- Due to unfortunate circumstances a 15 year old Danish boy and his parents are held in Thailand after a tragic accident that ended fatally.

A Danish family is forced to stay in Thailand after an accident on a jetski that happened January 3, involving the 15 year old son, the Danish daily B.T. is reporting.

The accident happened near the town of Cha Am around three hours drive from Bangkok.

The 15 year old Kristian Hesselblad went out on the rented jetski as the days before on January 3. His parents, Susanne & Hugo Hesselblad, loose sight of their son just to find out moments later that Kristian Hesselblad is involved in an accident with a Chinese couple, where a 23 year old Chinese male is wounded fatally.

The circumstances surrounding the accident are for the moment still unknown.

The reason for the Danish family to remain in Thailand is that the Thai authorities have withheld the boy’s passport, while the family to the killed Chinese has filed charges against Kristian Hesselblad in order to seek compensation. According to Thai law this is possible and therefore the passport is withheld.

His parents are free to leave, but have no intention in doing so, as long as their son will remain in Thailand.

The body of the Chinese victim is undergoing an autopsy in Bangkok. According to B.T. this could take up to six weeks. The autopsy needs to be finished before the Danish family is free to leave Thailand.

Sources ScandAsia has talked to in the meanwhile say that there is no indication that the case will go on for another month and a half.

Updates will follow as the case develops.

-- ScandAsia.com 2007-01-13

And have police arrested the jetski operator for renting it to a minor? I bet not!!

Simon

The jetski was probably rented to the parents... um, you know, the ones with the money to pay for it. The stupid father probably just handed the key over to his kid. Accidents happen, and unfortunately this one resulted in a fatality.

Anyhow what surprises me is that the police did not file charges of involuntary manslaughter against the teenager. The report only states the Chinese family filed charges (which implies some kind of lawsuit seeking compensation).

Edited by Gumballl

There should be designated jet ski areas. Preferably away from swimming spots.

Here we go again... I agree, a great suggestion, however remember this incident occurred in Thailand. There is no room for logical reasoning in Thailand.

Edited by Gumballl

There should be designated jet ski areas. Preferably away from swimming spots.

Any beaches I go to have areas for swimmers where jet ski's are not allowed, the question here is

Does this place have them

and if so

Was the 15yo boy riding in a safe zone or where the chinese family bathing outside the zone

Accidents like these are totally avoidable with a little common sense, I have used jet ski's many times and find it difficult to believe how these accidents happen, i can understand maybe two friends on Jet ski's messing around and having a collision but to hit a bather is beyond me unless the rider is totally wreckless and showing off close to swimmers.

Tragic indeed

i hate the jetskis. especially the renters showing off, often very near swimmers. have been far too close to them to many times to remember.and the exhaust fumes smell like 2stroke uncatalysated goverment-buses.

maybe a crackdown on jetskis could do it. just bring a narcotics-dog to smell the sand around them, every jetski-seller i have seen have been a dealer.

This case should be used to humilate the people who enforce the Thai Laws via the international media.

But I'll log off and tune into Fox, Cnn, and the BCC to learn about really important stuff like who Paris Hilton is ######ing and less news like how much the effect of global warming will have on the next generation.

The 15 year old Kristian Hesselblad went out on the rented jetski as the days before on January 3. His parents, Susanne & Hugo Hesselblad, loose sight of their son just to find out moments later that Kristian Hesselblad is involved in an accident with a Chinese couple, where a 23 year old Chinese male is wounded fatally.

Am I missing something? Where does it mention anything about swimming areas? My first assumption was that it was a collision between 2 Jet Skis. It says he is involved in an accident with a "couple".

It could be either possibility I guess, but the article is not specific enough. Also, why does it take 6 weeks for an autopsy?

No matter, it is a tragic incident for all involved.

Not knowing any details, I wonder if the withholding of the 15-year-old's passport is a money thing. The family, being from a country where the legal system operates very differently may not appreciate they may be expected to quickly compensate the victim's family.

I could care less if they lock him up and throw away the key forever regardless of his age. They may be fun to ride, but the danger and noise that they bring to everyone else around them is not worth the price to a civilized society. I despise jetskis, the self centered people that ride them and the danger and noise pollution they bring to beaches all over the world. I think that jetskis have only one valid use in our society and that is for the use by emergency personel. Even in swimming areas that are roped off, many times jetskiers ignore the buoys. Most people go out to the beach to enjoy peace and tranquility and not to listen to the noise of jetskis. Unfortunately mine is only a small voice in the wilderness as the manufacturers and jetski lobby have a lot of money, are extremely powerful and know how to use that power to influence legislation. Pattaya beach is a prime example of stupidity by mixing sunbathers, boats, jetskis, and swimmers(if someone likes to swim in pollution). Now that I have vented my ranting and raving for the day--I wish everyone a great day.

Am I missing something? Where does it mention anything about swimming areas? My first assumption was that it was a collision between 2 Jet Skis. It says he is involved in an accident with a "couple".

It could be either possibility I guess, but the article is not specific enough. Also, why does it take 6 weeks for an autopsy?

No matter, it is a tragic incident for all involved.

well i made the assumption it was a swimmer he hit as they are taking legal action, I don't see a case to answer if both parties where on jet ski's, blame 50/50 how can it be anything else, there are no trafic regulations or rules when on a jet ski, if i see someone else on a ski I stay well away from them.

I could care less if they lock him up and throw away the key forever regardless of his age. They may be fun to ride, but the danger and noise that they bring to everyone else around them is not worth the price to a civilized society. I despise jetskis, the self centered people that ride them and the danger and noise pollution they bring to beaches all over the world. I think that jetskis have only one valid use in our society and that is for the use by emergency personel. Even in swimming areas that are roped off, many times jetskiers ignore the buoys. Most people go out to the beach to enjoy peace and tranquility and not to listen to the noise of jetskis. Unfortunately mine is only a small voice in the wilderness as the manufacturers and jetski lobby have a lot of money, are extremely powerful and know how to use that power to influence legislation. Pattaya beach is a prime example of stupidity by mixing sunbathers, boats, jetskis, and swimmers(if someone likes to swim in pollution). Now that I have vented my ranting and raving for the day--I wish everyone a great day.

ah right, lock people up throw away the key for annoying your peace and tranquility, lets intoduce the death penalty for all the noise makers in Thailand, including buses trucks harleys cars discos late night beer bars .................................... are you for real

I wonder if these folks are part of the actual Hasselblad Family, They could be some of those VIP tourists Thailand has been seeking out and now someone has gotten a big whiff of Kroner. I have plenty of ideas on this situation I wont bother with in print but I will say this.

Thailand had plenty of horrible news coverage in the Swedish Media during the Tsunami, The way this is being handled here now is sure to be bigtime news in Sweden. He is a teenage boy and not an adult, Every tidbit of information indicates it was a horrible accident and that alone. My red flag has gone up, This could get very interesting?

Over a century and a half ago, in 1841, in the port city of Gothenburg in western Sweden, the Hasselblad family established its first trading company, F.W. Hasselblad & Co. The location, Gothenburg, with its proximity to the European continent and its historic trade connections with Britain, Holland, Denmark, Germany, and a host of other countries, was ideal for an international import-export firm. F.W. Hasselblad & Co soon became one of Sweden’s most prosperous commerce houses. They also began importing supplies and products for the newly burgeoning field of photography.

When Arvid Viktor Hasselblad, son of the company’s founder and an avid amateur photographer, established a photographic division within the company he is reported to comment, “I certainly don’t think that we will earn much money on this, but at least it will allow us to take pictures for free.”

Arvid Viktor was soon proved wrong about the area’s potential profitability, and the photographic department became a major part of F.W. Hasselblad & Co. Little could he know where his first tentative steps into camera and film import would eventually lead.

ah right, lock people up throw away the key for annoying your peace and tranquility, lets intoduce the death penalty for all the noise makers in Thailand, including buses trucks harleys cars discos late night beer bars .................................... are you for real

I think you conveniently forgot that he killed someone with his jetski but perhaps that does not bother you ?? I guess I have this old fashioned concept that people are responsible for their actions and must be willing to pay the consequences. I just happen to believe that those consequences should be expecially harsh on people that wind up killing someone while doing something that serves no useflul purpose and knowingly endangers the lives of innocent peoples around them.

Nice one gharkness.

I too am sick of people going to the busiest noisiest fun places in Thailand then complaining about overcrowding, noise and fun lovers.

Thailand has 3,219 km of coastline. Pattaya and Patong between them account for about 6 at most. That gives them 3,213km to explore, that are not in Pattaya and Patong for gods sake. Go there, relax and stop writing your stupid letters to the Bankok Post, Nation and web sites please. Let us enjoy the noise, the run and the mad life that we love. And please let us know, which of you peace loving beach bums is going to live forever anyway!

Nobody mentioned Insurance yet. Thought this was mandatory (as much as anything is enforced over here) now? Tragic accident and its wrong to blame the boy. At that age the adreneline rush from this machine would have clouded a lot of his judgement. It really is wow and everything else is blotted out.

Best wishes to the parents in this and of course the deceaseds family. Many lives ruined here.

Edited by Dupont

...... They could be some of those VIP tourists Thailand has been seeking out and now someone has gotten a big whiff of Kroner. I have plenty of ideas on this situation I wont bother with in print............ My red flag has gone up, This could get very interesting?

Yea, I for one have a hard time imaging that if the situation was reversed, that a Farang family on vacation would be able to file charges against a Chinese family that had no Thai relatives and then have the police take away their son's passport. This Danish family needs to find a phu yai to arrange a mutually satisfactual compensation amount or this thing will drag on for months.

Jetski(s) aren't toys
I've never seen them used for anything other than toys in Thailand.

Unfortunately they are treated as such and boneheads are allowed to use them. Would you act like a fool in a car? I think not - course maybe thats not a good example considering the amount of road deaths in thailand.

Any rate they won't be banned, so the only recourse is change stupidity and educate.

I could care less if they lock him up and throw away the key forever regardless of his age.

Nobody mentioned Insurance yet. Thought this was mandatory (as much as anything is enforced over here) now? Tragic accident and its wrong to blame the boy. At that age the adreneline rush from this machine would have clouded a lot of his judgement. It really is wow and everything else is blotted out.

Best wishes to the parents in this and of course the deceaseds family. Many lives ruined here.

It is interesting reading the extreme position of a few on this topic.

I will assume for the moment that this kid was at fault (it would be nice to know the full set of facts).

An accident is not murder. There should be no locking up and throwing away the key. One should have to take responsibility when one is the main cause an accident, especially when it results in death. This kid is not an adult so he should not punished at the same level, but to say he deserves no blame is ridiculous, at 15 yearsold one is aware that accidents happen and you know if you go fast in a car, bike, jetski it is dangerous.

He should count his lucky stars that he may get out of this with only having to pay money (via his family).

Also it is not unreasonable to hold his passport, he did kill a guy. Can you imagine if your loved one was killed would you want this kid to be able to go back home right away? The Chinese family is already here, why should they have to go to the kid’s home country to try and collect after their loved one was killed? It is adding insult to injury (in this case fatal).

Also funny is how some post about this being all about trying to get money, well of course! Why shouldn’t they?