Phuket police scandal stirs fears of bribe-taking nationwide

webfact

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Sid Celery said:

There are enough laws against corruption in Thailand and enough high people in Thailand talking about corruption being wrong, that there should be no doubt that it is not a proper course. Death penalty in China for corruption - no Thai thinks corruption is acceptable, many think, and calculate that they can get away with it. Sorry, the cultural argument doesn't wash. The cunning and dishonest argument does wash. In my opinion.

Death penalty in Vietnam as well, both are Communist and corruption or embezeling is looked upon as crimes against local populace and stealing from the Government.  I like the Vietnamese attitude towards crime, the punishments are so severe people think twice about doing it.  a five year sentence in a Vietnamese jail could easily turn into a death sentence, they can literally work you to death.

26 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Death penalty in Vietnam as well, both are Communist and corruption or embezeling is looked upon as crimes against local populace and stealing from the Government.  I like the Vietnamese attitude towards crime, the punishments are so severe people think twice about doing it.  a five year sentence in a Vietnamese jail could easily turn into a death sentence, they can literally work you to death.

Maybe that beats the Thai system then, where if you're rich and can grease the right palms, then it's likely no jail time at all. Mind you, given that corruption is both a 3rd-world problem and seems to be more of a problem with warmer climes, I expect Vietnam also has a corruption problem. Never been there but it's on my bucket list, nestling comfortably between Tibet and Bhutan...

Edited by Sid Celery

5 hours ago, zzidenn said:

I don’t think most people would run, it depends on your upbringing and social circumstances.

"And run" was a figure if speach, not meant in the literal way..i often use coloquials and slang that others might misunderstand but i prefer a more colorful prose..

Just now, Sid Celery said:

Not what I said either, but do keep trying. If at first you don't succeed...

Please elaborate, Sid.  I know what you said though some of it appears to have been deleted by admin as it was against forum rules.  So let's lay it on the line rather than all the poncing about. 

5 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

I wrote what I wrote. Last reply to you until you learn how not to tell porkie pies.

I've stated what I understand you implied so up to you to rebut.  You're poncing about again, Sid. 

How hard is it to inform what you meant?  

You clearly stated that you find Thais dishonest in the majority, is that correct?  I'm giving you a chance here.

Edited by Here It Is

12 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Colour never fazed the officials here If they cant get brown enevlopes they will accept white envelopes No problem

They will find out in 50 years or so... Then the white one will be banned...

On 11/20/2017 at 11:29 AM, Here It Is said:

I'm not arguing with you, Sid.  You have already explained that you find Thais are dishonest with very few exceptions.

I find the majority of Thai honest and will pay the tea money as they are brought up to be.

You're definitely making a monkey out of me.

If you can't get to grips with the culture then what are you doing here?

Hmmm, not sure culture is the right word here, whats Bloody cultural about it ? how about the following, Thieves, Fraudsters, scammers, Liars, cheats.

20 hours ago, PAIBKK said:

Thai logic: 
Ban the production, import and sales of brown envelopes. 
If there are no brown envelopes, they can't be filled with money and handed over. 
If there are no brown envelopes, they can't be used for corruption!

No brown envelopes = No corruption !!!
Thai corruption problem solved !!!

My thoughts exactly......

On 11/21/2017 at 4:12 PM, kaorop said:

"And run" was a figure if speach, not meant in the literal way..i often use coloquials and slang that others might misunderstand but i prefer a more colorful prose..

oh yes i totally misunderstood your colorful prose because i thought you meant „run“ literally obviously