12 out of 50 whitening cosmetics found to have mercury

snoop1130

12 out of 50 whitening cosmetics found to have mercury

DPDDhRHVQAACSLq.jpg

From random checks on 50 samples of cosmetics for face-whitening, the Medical Science Department has found 12 of them to contain mercury, a substance which can be harmful to kidney, the nervous and respiratory systems and skin.

Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai, the department director-general, said the mercury content found in the 12 samples of cosmetics ranges between 0.035 – 3.959% of total weights.

Mercury is a banned substance in cosmetics according to a Public Health Ministry announcement. The substance is harmful to kidney, the nervous and respiratory system and skin.

After a long use, mercury can accumulate in the skin and can be absorbed into the blood system, leading to liver and kidney troubles, anemia, urinary tract infection, and damaging the colours of skin and nails.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/12-50-whitening-cosmetics-found-mercury/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-20

Funny world !!....westerners entertain their skin to harsh UV (natural or artificial) to get a tan (and risk skin cancer).....and here they rub their skins with hazardous creams, containing dangerous dosage in their mercury and hydroquinone levels.

All about showing "face"  to society...in the west a brown tan shows high social status, as it suggests you just came back from a holiday spree in St Barth, Aruba, St Tropez (or Thailand)...

..in the East white skin suggests "I'm not a farmer, have a chauffeur, do don't get sun burnt walking around in the day etc.  =  I'm a Hi-so) !!

Edited by observer90210

22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai, the department director-general, said the mercury content found in the 12 samples of cosmetics ranges between 0.035 – 3.959% of total weights.

Nearly 4 percent mercury, wow... that's bad enough, but there's a lot of other dangerous stuff in whitening creams as well

http://skinwhiteningnews.org/dangers-of-skin-whitening/

I'm a naturally pasty person. Used to bother me when I was younger being back in the UK as people want tanned skin. Nowadays, I'm still pasty and avoid too much sun. It really isn't worth risking skin cancer to appease any social norm or desires. Plus the ladies here seem to like the Celtic complexion. so it's all relative.

Anyhoo, remember a caucasian girl asking me why I'm not more tanned. Why don't I sunbathe more as I live here. I told her I thought the whole idea of sunbathing and cooking my skin (regardless of having lotion on) was moronic. I won't drastically increase my chances of getting skin cancer just so people can say "Ooh, what a lovely tan'. Same goes for the girls who wear whiteners - it's moronic. 

19 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Stupid, stupid people.

Not those making the stuff as they are making pocket fulls of cash.

But the food products are also the one's to check before eating, The wife spent a fortune with a local importer of Thai foods only to bin most it as it stank of pesticide, next time its going to trading standards. No not rotten it was chemicals and stank out the fridge.

31 minutes ago, Jools said:

Looking forward to the day when Thai people will be happy with whatever color they are and stop using POISON on their skin. Whitening cosmetics are a scam and a public menace.

Same same, but different? Wasn't that the same in good ol' Europe when they finally figured out that an ordinary Nivea was even better than all the expensive beauty cream/?/

But wait. That was 30- something years ago. LOS, wake up ! :shock1:

The quest for beauty has surely never been more apparent than with the realisation that the skin whitening product industry is worth an estimated $3 billion worldwide. The World Health Organisation (WHO) claims Nigeria has the highest number of women using skin lightening products -- a staggering 77 percent.  

huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/04/24/skin-whitening-beauty_n_9753900.html

India’s domestic cosmetics industry is set to grow to US$3.6 billion by 2014, according to the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India. The skin-lightening cream market alone was worth US$432 million in 2010 and growing at 18 percent annually. In China, where the skin care market is worth more than 35 billion yuan (US$5.5 billion), whitening products comprise a whopping 71 percent of the market.

Elsewhere in Asia, a survey by the London-based market research firm Synovate found that four out of ten women in Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Korea, and Taiwan use a skin whitening cream.

Read more from Asian Scientist Magazine at: https://www.asianscientist.com/2012/09/features/skin-whitening-products-asia-2012/

Men are the next to be marketed to