Birding in Ubon Ratchathani

BrownShrike

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

If you are talking meuang Ubon then the back fields and back paddy from the river Mun usually has a good population of field birds. Generally the further you get away from the town and the bigger villages and into the countryside the better. I often see a load of birds (not of the Dazinoz variety) when I'm setting trails for Ubon Hash House Harriers and always regret not having time to take my binocs and camera gear. Not a birder, but flirted with it a few years ago. Talking the province as a whole? ... then the emerald triangle and the border hills of Lao and Cambodia are a must. Probably the only place you'll find anything unusual.

Use Google Earth and look for those alluring combinations of trees and water with paths going through.

Don;t forget Vietnam, the area down in the Delta where I have a rice farm is loaded with birders (some of them are the bad kind that poach exotic birds)  Tam Nong Bird Sanctuary is one of the only nesting areas of the Red Headed Heron, that bird is about 6 feet tall and I know people that live there and haven't seen them but once or twice in their lifetime.  TM Brothers in Saigon can arrange a trip up to twelve people, me, I just jump on a motorcycle  (haha)

• Thanks 1

General birding can be good anywhere there is any habitat at all...unless you are seeking specific species. From my lanai in BKK i have recorded 63 species and photographed most of them. As for "bins", doubt you can get good ones at a fair price here, as everything is way overpriced here. My 3 pair were bought in the states and carried over. That said, most markets or malls have an optics stall where bins can be purchased. 

Good luck and good birding!

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys. Lately I am aware that we have been getting our 'winter visitors'  (brown shrikes, blue rock thrushes, stonechats and etc.,) and sadly, I see many of them that die on the mist nets that the farmers and villagers put up. The heat kills them within minutes. Also, more raptors are in at large numbers, I constantly have to keep an eye on my birds as a sparrowhawk likes to come around and perch on top of my house. Definitely enjoying my stay here in Ubon Ratchathani, so much beauty to see right outside your door.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Doisaketdreamer said:

I caught an injured Barn Owl yesterday. He appears to be an adult. His right wing is injured and missing about half of its feathers. Does anyone know of a Raptor Center of Wildlife Rehab center in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai area?

Try this: 

1. Protective Wing: Bird sanctuary, Chiang Mai, Thailand

https://www.lafargeholcim-foundation.org/projects/protective-wing