"There are still good Thai people about" - Thai media report on good Samaritan who saves the day

webfact

"There are still good Thai people about" - Thai media report on good Samaritan who saves the day

3am.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Manager reported on a story about a Thai member of the public who helped a foundation medical team reach their destination.

The team were on their way to an Army sports club in the Chitlada area where more than 30 children were suffering from heat stroke.

But Bangkok's notorious traffic was blocking their path and what was worse was this was an area near the Chitlada Palace where sirens are forbidden.

The medics had been stuck for a while when an unidentified man in a lime green shirt knocked on the window and asked where they were headed.

Then he swung into action knocking on all the windows of the traffic ahead creating a path so that the medics could get to their destination and help the children.

One member of the team posted the story with pictures on the fan page of Mem Pho Dam stating: "There are still good Thai people about. Our job is a tiring and difficult one but with people like this prepared to help it is made so much easier".

Manager did not report on what happened to the sick children.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-21

Yeah, give the man the Thai equivalent of the Victoria cross or 

congressional medal of honor for pointing out the way, and

for sure we need many more like him, i know i often get hoplesly

lost in the labyrinth of BKK streets.......

Nice to see a positive story.  Use to see medics on the back of motor bikes talking on their radios.  Thought that was rather heroic as well.  Find young people too to be helpful. 

Was carrying something heavy and about to stumble crossing the klong bridge on Asok when a beautiful girl in a high school uniform caught me.  There are some very helpful, kind souls in Bangkok.

The "Good Samaritan" epithet is frequently, as in this case, misused.  The "important" bits are underlined:

The parable of the Good Samaritan is a parable told by Jesus in Luke 10:25–37. It is about a traveler who is stripped of clothing, beaten, and left half dead alongside the road. First a priest and then a Levite comes by, but both avoid the man. Finally, a Samaritan happens upon the traveler.  Samaritans and Jews generally despised each other, but the Samaritan helps the injured man.  Jesus is described as telling the parable in response to the question from a lawyer, "And who is my neighbor?" whom Leviticus Lev 19:18 says should be loved. In response, Jesus tells the parable, the conclusion of which is that the neighbour figure in the parable is the man who shows mercy to the injured man—that is, the Samaritan.

Were this man a Burmese he might have been more accurately described as a good "Samaritan".

I wonder how the drivers would have reacted in that instance......when they heard his accent?

Edited by Enoon

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

The "Good Samaritan" epithet is frequently, as in this case, misused.  The "important" bits are underlined:

The parable of the Good Samaritan is a parable told by Jesus in Luke 10:25–37. It is about a traveler who is stripped of clothing, beaten, and left half dead alongside the road. First a priest and then a Levite comes by, but both avoid the man. Finally, a Samaritan happens upon the traveler.  Samaritans and Jews generally despised each other, but the Samaritan helps the injured man.  Jesus is described as telling the parable in response to the question from a lawyer, "And who is my neighbor?" whom Leviticus Lev 19:18 says should be loved. In response, Jesus tells the parable, the conclusion of which is that the neighbour figure in the parable is the man who shows mercy to the injured man—that is, the Samaritan.

Were this man a Burmese he might have been more accurately described as a good "Samaritan".

I wonder how the drivers would have reacted in that instance......when they heard his accent?

I'm not sure if English is your native language or not. You are right about the origin of the term "Good Samaritan", but you are wrong about the usage and/or meaning of it in modern day English. If you want to create a new definition and say it "more accurately" describes such a person, I guess that's ok, but it is perfectly fine to use it as it was used in this article. "Good Samaritan" simply means something along the lines of, "a stranger who stops to help someone in need". There is actually even a definition in law that I came across one time ago, it was very similar, but had an additional caveat that the "Good Samaritan" was helping voluntarily, that is, without being required to by any sort of law or duty. Neither of the definitions, in common usage or law, require a strict adherence to the biblical text as you were describing. That said, your point is well understood by anyone having lived here for any length of time.

Edited by Sig
left out a couple of important words...

10 hours ago, Enoon said:

The bible, ha, ha, ha. In this time and age people talking about Bible it's like the Muslims who talk about the "jihad" holy wars.... well, imaginations take over religious people mind, now they must find a target to make the Jihad comes true. You Christians must now play the Crusaders... like heros in books. Holy grail and stuff like that.

This guy is just a nice guy and he doesn't like to be called a good Samaritan ok?