Looking for live music (rock) places in Bangkok

BadCash

I'm looking for live music places that play good old rock music, or possibly something like reggae influenced rock. I'm talking classic rock songs from the 70/80/90's. There seems to be a lot of jazz, blues and Thai-only places around here (have been to a few, but not really my cup of tea).

If anybody has ever been to Boogie Bar or Reggae Bar in Ao Nang, Krabi you'll know what kinds of places I'm talking about. Places that can pull of great covers of everything from Journey to Metallica to Tracy Chapman, with talented bands who don't just know the sounds that the lyrics make (as Thai singers often do), but who actually know the words to the songs they are singing!

Any of this around Bangkok?

I suspect there might be in the Khao San area, those are welcome as well but it would be even more interesting with tips in less touristy areas (although I guess the audience would mostly be tourists/expats).

Edited by BadCash

If you don't mind the atmosphere of a girly bar, then Five Star in Soi Cowboy has an excellent band. The same band has been playing there every night for the past 15 years that I know of, playing "classic rock" mostly from the 70s and 80s. Unlike most venues, where the bands are actually Filipino, this is a 100% Thai band. The guitar player, Khun Da is really exceptional with the ability to play everything from Hendrix to Stevie Ray Vaughn, and a lot more. The vocals can be a little hit or miss, but the last few times I've seen them, a farang guy was joining the band to do the vocals. They seem to welcome anyone who would like to jam with them, and for a while there was an older Japanese guy that would hop on the stage and play some killer guitar.

As I said, it's a girly bar (and very, very small), but the girls aren't too aggressive. Years ago I got to know the mamasan and she knew I was only there for the beer and music, so there was zero hassle from the girls. The wife and I pop in every once in a while when we're in Bangkok.

42 minutes ago, DrDave said:

If you don't mind the atmosphere of a girly bar, then Five Star in Soi Cowboy has an excellent band. The same band has been playing there every night for the past 15 years that I know of, playing "classic rock" mostly from the 70s and 80s. Unlike most venues, where the bands are actually Filipino, this is a 100% Thai band. The guitar player, Khun Da is really exceptional with the ability to play everything from Hendrix to Stevie Ray Vaughn, and a lot more. The vocals can be a little hit or miss, but the last few times I've seen them, a farang guy was joining the band to do the vocals. They seem to welcome anyone who would like to jam with them, and for a while there was an older Japanese guy that would hop on the stage and play some killer guitar.

As I said, it's a girly bar (and very, very small), but the girls aren't too aggressive. Years ago I got to know the mamasan and she knew I was only there for the beer and music, so there was zero hassle from the girls. The wife and I pop in every once in a while when we're in Bangkok.

A Google Search returns with permanently closed?  Not sure if that means the web site or the bar. 

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

If you don't mind the atmosphere of a girly bar, then Five Star in Soi Cowboy has an excellent band.

I've been going to 5 Star for 20 years. The best rock club in BKK and yes, it is gone.  Done.  Closed 4 months ago.  It's now another girly bar...shit!!

The band is not currently playing any regular gig anywhere but they are looking for a place.  Seems it's hard to find a place that can make money with this style of music, despite the brilliance of the guitar player.

If they end up somewhere, I will hear about it and will post.

I'm hoping some poster has a good recommendation....

Ad Here 13 near Khao San is very good but more blues style.

Edited by Nepal4me

Try Country Road Bar Soi 4.Girlie bar but reasonable music 60s to current. 

Wasabi band is good but singer is aged. Anyone can sing and are welcome for a tip in the jar. From early to 3am. Wasabi not playing on monday nights but play in soi cowboy before their 11pm gig in Country Road. The owner P I might welcome some new blood.

50 minutes ago, Nepal4me said:

I've been going to 5 Star for 20 years. The best rock club in BKK and yes, it is gone.  Done.  Closed 4 months ago.  It's now another girly bar...shit!!

The band is not currently playing any regular gig anywhere but they are looking for a place.  Seems it's hard to find a place that can make money with this style of music, despite the brilliance of the guitar player.

If they end up somewhere, I will hear about it and will post.

I'm hoping some poster has a good recommendation....

Ad Here 13 near Khao San is very good but more blues style.

Yes, please post any info you might get on where the band might be playing now (I think their name is "Black Dog Band").

You might remember the original rhythm guitar player, "Boy", who used to play along side "Da". Unfortunately, years ago he had a motorbike accident and I don't think he was ever able to play after that. Listening to this band was always the highlight of any trip to Bangkok, so I hope I'll be able to hear them again somewhere.

The Otto bar on the corner of Soi 22 and Sukhumvit has a pretty good metal/rock band.

There is also a bar called Foxzee bar (an unamed Soi between Sukhumvit 18 and 20) that has 2 house bands on varying nights that plays a wide range of music.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 5:13 AM, Nepal4me said:

In addition to the early slot across the road from 5 Star on the corner they also play Saturday and sunday nights from 9:30 - midnight at Rest Hub 2 on Soi 4 just past Hooters.

that is correct.    like a few of you, i've been listening to the band for years at 5 Star; i was surprised when i learned that it's now just a gogo bar; bummer.     ran into them at the Rest Hub just by chance.     i hope they'll be able to find a new place to play on a regular basis; must be tough...

On 11/21/2017 at 6:34 AM, DrDave said:

Yes, please post any info you might get on where the band might be playing now (I think their name is "Black Dog Band").

You might remember the original rhythm guitar player, "Boy", who used to play along side "Da". Unfortunately, years ago he had a motorbike accident and I don't think he was ever able to play after that. Listening to this band was always the highlight of any trip to Bangkok, so I hope I'll be able to hear them again somewhere.

oh no!     that's terrible news!     Boy was an incredible guitar player and i often wondered where he was.     he was so good that i just assumed he had moved on to bigger and better things....     damn!