MRT and BEM asked to restore seats in Blue Line carriages or face legal action

webfact

By Thai PBS

0D649562-56D3-4E21-A27F-31B723B3CB94.jpe

The Thai Constitution Protection Association has demanded the Metropolitan Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRT) and Bangkok Expressway and Metro Pcl (BEM), the concessionaire of the Blue Line subway, to restore seats removed from some carriages in order to accommodate more passengers.

Failing to heed its demand, the association threatened to take the case to the court of law.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the TCPA said that the removal of seats from one of the carriages of the Blue Line shuttling between Tao Poon and Hua Lamphong, starting on Monday, reportedly to create more standing space for passengers amounted to taking advantage of the consumers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mrt-bem-asked-restore-seats-blue-line-carriages-face-legal-action/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-22

The association said that BEM and MRT should have acquired more carriages to meet the demand of consumers instead of “conspiring” to pass the burden on the consumers so that BEM, the operator of the Blue Line, would earn more revenue on the suffering of the passengers, especially the elderly, children and, the sick and pregnant women.

Seems like a valid reasoning, hope they can force the BEM and MRT to buy more carriages or force them to lower prices.

Thai Constitution Protection Association

Shouldn't that be "Thai Consumer Protection Agency"?

Otherwise they have failed their job miserably in the past decades :laugh:

31 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

The system is reaching the point where they will need to employ the Tokyo-style passenger pushers to pack as many people into the carriages as possible ! Get more carriages and replace the seats, like they would in any civilized country :)

The subway stations seem to be able to accommodate more carriages.   Might be time to add that to the shopping list under all that military equipment that is so badly needed. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Legal action like what??? 500 Baht in the government piggy bank? :cheesy::cheesy: Why were they even allowed to remove the seats in the first place??? 

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Seems like a valid reasoning, hope they can force the BEM and MRT to buy more carriages or force them to lower prices.

Shouldn't that be "Thai Consumer Protection Agency"?

Otherwise they have failed their job miserably in the past decades :laugh:

In fact, if you buy a ticket, you make an agreement with the transport company to be transported from A to B, while there probably is not in the agreement mentioned you will have the right to be seated.

I presume safety reasons might be the way to go in court, not the right to be seated.

Edited by hansnl

Thailand only... The lawsuit is based on what? They are a private company, right? So basically they can do whatever they want as long as the shareholders agree with this.
As far as I know Thailand I'm sure there have been endless meetings and commitees about that matter before deciding about removing the seats.
Which in my opinion is a good move temporary. I'd rather stand than wait 20 minutes during rush hour. For long term they should extend the carriage or buy more.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The subway stations seem to be able to accommodate more carriages.   Might be time to add that to the shopping list under all that military equipment that is so badly needed. 

Perhaps they could buy some of the RTN's surplus subs and attach them to the other carriages. 

55 minutes ago, CLW said:

Thailand only... The lawsuit is based on what? They are a private company, right? So basically they can do whatever they want as long as the shareholders agree with this.
As far as I know Thailand I'm sure there have been endless meetings and commitees about that matter before deciding about removing the seats.
Which in my opinion is a good move temporary. I'd rather stand than wait 20 minutes during rush hour. For long term they should extend the carriage or buy more.

How many companies, especially outside of LoS,  could you imagine doing the same? 

And assuming we are talking the Consumer Protection Authority, not the Constitution version, then, yes, of course they can take legal action against a private company for violation of consumer rights. 

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

That might be a good idea if the owners of the trains were a government department but they are not.

Please direct your biased rant to the correct places which are Metropolitan Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRT) and Bangkok Expressway and Metro Pcl (BEM), the concessionaire of the Blue Line subway and NOT the government.

But as usual you could not miss the chance to rant at the the government, and as happens quite often with you, you get the facts wrong.

How many companies, especially outside of LoS,  could you imagine doing the same? 

And assuming we are talking the Consumer Protection Authority, not the Constitution version, then, yes, of course they can take legal action against a private company for violation of consumer rights. 
I'm not a lawyer but they have the right to change I think. By using their service you agree to the terms and conditions. It's not that you have a contract with them etc.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

That might be a good idea if the owners of the trains were a government department but they are not.

Please direct your biased rant to the correct places which are Metropolitan Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRT) and Bangkok Expressway and Metro Pcl (BEM), the concessionaire of the Blue Line subway and NOT the government.

But as usual you could not miss the chance to rant at the the government, and as happens quite often with you, you get the facts wrong.

Thank you so much for pointing that out.  Tis true that the government has no interest what so ever in providing better transport to the people of Bangkok.  The BMA has no influence in the matters whatsoever.  These systems were built in partnership with government.  Government needs to take a active part and it has yet to do so.   :-/