Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

webfact

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

I agree with you 100%, but the pickup driver is a farang, so in a Thais eyes he is to blame.

If he stayed in his own country the accident would not have happened.

That is what the police told my wife after my accident.

If you have 1st class insurance you will get your right if you are right.Last 2years I had accidents like that or worse.I called insurance and within 45 min an insurance agent arrived.Two cases cleared in my favor without police another case cleared at police station also in my favor .The thais thought they are right because i’m a foreigner but had to leave angry because I was right and because an insurance agent was with me.My recommendation for every driving foreigner in Thailand is ,1st class insurance,and choose an insurance where an agent can reach you within 1hour wherever you are in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the motorcyclist is clearly wrong which is why he hit the car. The car didn't hit the motorcycle, the motorcycle hit the car.

Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is
going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is actually something in that, the law states that bikes, tuk tuks etc must travel to the extreme left of a roadway. It is somewhat the cars responsibility to merge with and give way to the bikes.

I've read the law again and again and it's not clear if they should stay in the middle of the leftmost lane or stay to the left of the leftmost lane. 

There's nothing in the law saying that motorbikes are allowed to undertake.

There's also nothing in the law that differentiates motorbikes from slow vehicles. When they say stay left in the law they talk about slower traffic in general and not motorbikes specifically.

I dont see anything in the law that would allow motorbikes to drive in paralell with other vehicles in the same lane except when overtaking. And overtaking should happen on right side. 

Anyway, laws are interpreted at the whims of police here.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes like all Thais use there indicators before they turn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

So, let me see if I got this right -- You are suggesting that since Thais often do not use their turn signal,

it means the driver in this case should be excused from not having used his.

That may not be the lamest argument I've ever heard, but it ranks very high on the list.

the motorcyclist is clearly wrong which is why he hit the car. The car didn't hit the motorcycle, the motorcycle hit the car.

Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is
going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

Completely correct - probably worth not discussing any more who is in the wrong the full PDF can be found here - I guess he won't get the fine but I reckon he will probably think twice before he does it again!
http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwirpJmiz9HXAhUBvY8KHeouCCAQFggLMAA&usg=AOvVaw2giq1x8mpuLKqIliLUvNwt

5 minutes ago, hobz said:

I've read the law again and again and it's not clear if they should stay in the middle of the leftmost lane or stay to the left of the leftmost lane. 

There's nothing in the law saying that motorbikes are allowed to undertake.

There's also nothing in the law that differentiates motorbikes from slow vehicles. When they say stay left in the law they talk about slower traffic in general and not motorbikes specifically.

I dont see anything in the law that would allow motorbikes to drive in paralell with other vehicles in the same lane except when overtaking. And overtaking should happen on right side. 

Anyway, laws are interpreted at the whims of police here.......

you are 100% correct

• Thanks 1

The pick-up was going very slow, I can’t see if indicator or not but even so anybody can guess the truck is possibly going to turn by his speed and no traffic in front,

it’s like never assume when your walking on a zebra crossing that everyone will stop, this is what gets people killed-

“ no common sense”

I agree with the comment 50/50 fault

Only because the pick-up should of checked his mirror before turning and had a good look- out for idiots lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I, too, ride a motorcycle every day.  I don't know Thai law well enough to say that he violated any, or assign legal fault,  but I can say for certain that the motorcycle rider in this video is 100% stupid.

... A shoe-in winner for a Darwin Award.

Here lies the body of George O'Day.
He died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right as he rode along,
But he is just as dead as if he were wrong.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

If you have 1st class insurance you will get your right if you are right.Last 2years I had accidents like that or worse.I called insurance and within 45 min an insurance agent arrived.Two cases cleared in my favor without police another case cleared at police station also in my favor .The thais thought they are right because i’m a foreigner but had to leave angry because I was right and because an insurance agent was with me.My recommendation for every driving foreigner in Thailand is ,1st class insurance,and choose an insurance where an agent can reach you within 1hour wherever you are in Thailand.

^^^^^ This

As I said earlier

Smile , nod, 

& ring the insurance man

First of all - why make it a thai versus farang case? Does it really matter what nationality of the involved parts?

Then - its always the overtaking part who has to be sure its safe to overtake? And this guys just speed up as he overtook, without paying much attention to what the other guy was up to. But if the other guy didnt use his indicators he is partly to be blamed too. 

And last but not least - facial injuries? You didnt wear a helmet? Thats illegal in Thailand and not very smart either...

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes like all Thais use there indicators before they turn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Really? 1.Truck should signalled, slowed and turned when clear. 

2. Bike should not share lane, nor pass if there is no lane to pass in. 

3. No helmet

Two wrongs.... which is typical for the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world. 

• Confused 1

"A female witness at a paint shop claimed that the foreigner had not indicated he would turn. She said she ran out and didn't see the indicator on."

How does she know what an indicator is!  Most Thais don't use them!  She must be the only Thai with a legitimate licence!

If she ran out like most ghouls, to see the sprawled motorcycle rider, l would think that the foreigner would have switched-off his ignition by that time, thereby terminating the indicator; I don't suppose she thought of that.

About 4 years ago, I witnessed a motorcycle taxi riding down the inside of a Bangkok Taximeter stopped about 4 cars back from a red light.  A passenger suddenly opened the taxi's door, and the motorcycle taxi hit it.  The outcome, in about 2 minutes, was the motorcycle taxi rider paying the taxi driver for the damage.  So, Thais know the law, but just carry-on as normal.

Indicator or not, the motorcyclist in this case should not have been undertaking.  The video quite clearly shows the motorcycle was travelling faster than the pickup.

If the pickup driver is not pressing for any damage to be paid for, I suggest that the motorcyclist quit while he's ahead, and get a common sense implant before he rides again.

Perhaps the Thai Media need to gen-up on the law instead of applying what is considered normal behaviour.  If they want justice, let's get the motorcyclist charged with "Riding without due care and attention", and make him pay for any damage to the pickup.

• Like 1

If the car was indicating he was gonna turn – motorcycle's fault.
If the car wasn't indicating he was gonna turn – car's fault (though not completely, as the motorcycle should have slowed down and not try to pass).

Nope the car doesn't have to indicate left although it is polite - in thai law (not that it would make any difference) it is illegal to pass on the left unless there are two lanes or the car is indicating right which the driver of the car obviously wasn't

Both at fault. 

Truck:  Lane discipline not so hot, and *if* intending to turn then that was bad form (it was going very slowly so I assume it was intending to turn...but no indicator light).  Probably should be on the hard shoulder long before the exit if turning, given the width of the road.

Motorcycle:  Staying left or not, that's undertaking, and doing so at a decent speed differential and close to the vehicle.  Should be aware of the trucks blind spots.

Better if the motorcycle indicates right in that situation, and create as much space as possible between anything that could be a potential threat.  And slow down temporarily.

If the car had been indicating it would have been the bikers fault. Even when indicating, motorcycles still overtake on the inside. Rules and common sense do not apply here. To come out as right you need a strong Thai wife who is not swayed by authority, who will defend you to the end, right or wrong. My opinion in this case is both in the wrong. Ha sip, ha sip.:saai:

15 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

"A female witness at a paint shop claimed that the foreigner had not indicated he would turn. She said she ran out and didn't see the indicator on."

How does she know what an indicator is!  Most Thais don't use them!  She must be the only Thai with a legitimate licence!

If she ran out like most ghouls, to see the sprawled motorcycle rider, l would think that the foreigner would have switched-off his ignition by that time, thereby terminating the indicator; I don't suppose she thought of that.

About 4 years ago, I witnessed a motorcycle taxi riding down the inside of a Bangkok Taximeter stopped about 4 cars back from a red light.  A passenger suddenly opened the taxi's door, and the motorcycle taxi hit it.  The outcome, in about 2 minutes, was the motorcycle taxi rider paying the taxi driver for the damage.  So, Thais know the law, but just carry-on as normal.

Indicator or not, the motorcyclist in this case should not have been undertaking.  The video quite clearly shows the motorcycle was travelling faster than the pickup.

If the pickup driver is not pressing for any damage to be paid for, I suggest that the motorcyclist quit while he's ahead, and get a common sense implant before he rides again.

Perhaps the Thai Media need to gen-up on the law instead of applying what is considered normal behaviour.  If they want justice, let's get the motorcyclist charged with "Riding without due care and attention", and make him pay for any damage to the pickup.

yep! agreed with the Indicator/Ignition thing 5 pages ago;

and the witness saying that 'no indicator' thing...

that takes forethought and total awareness of one's surroundings :cheesy:

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Even it is legal to undertake a car on a bike, normally self-preservation or common sense kicks in, They have a similar Law in China about pedestrians crossing the road so they cross without looking. When I pointed out that someone could be killed the person i mentioned it to said "Yes but its the driver's fault"

I'm getting confused with all this undertaking and overtaking? My dictionary says that undertaking is "a formal pledge or promise", or "the management of funerals"?