Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

webfact

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Everybody driving in Thailand should now very well that undertaking is the rule here, even if it is illegal or a gray zone. The driver should have observed his inside and signal the turn before making the turn, which he/she did not. Hence drivers fault.

Again, turn signals are only advisory, not mandatory.

7 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Again, turn signals are only advisory, not mandatory.

PLease provide a valid link to that claim, KamalaRider.   

I think that's hogwash

Edit:     Please don't come up with a    "this is what I heard kind of claim".    Provide a valid link if you have one please or retract.    Thanks..

Those lines are used for many reasons and not just fog, but they are called fog lines, anytime that your vision is affected from glare from high beam lights to smoke haze to fog or any other reason that you cannot look straight ahead you have that line to follow to stop you from running off the road. There has been reports of fog in various areas of Thailand before I think it might be mainly up in the mountains in the Chang Rai area and also around the ocean areas being affected by sea for. I do know that I have driven in fog around the Surin Thani area

34 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Nop, I'm not wrong, I took my time to learn Thai traffic laws and regulations during my 10 years in Thailand.

Yes, you are absolutely wrong.

Your claim that the driver didn't turn is wrong – I don't even know why you would argue this as it is clear as day on the video that he is turning.

Your claim that you don't have to use indicators when turning is wrong and downright ridiculous – of course you do. Again: Section 36 of the Land Traffic Act. It is the law, not a suggestion.

You have obviously learned nothing about the actual traffic laws in Thailand during your years here. Rather, you seem to have learned by watching other terrible drivers. I can't believe anyone would seriously think that you don't have to use your indicators when turning. Pure madness, and it really shines a light on the fact that it isn't just Thais that don't know how to drive properly and safely.

And no, I'm not saying that the accident was the car's fault, though he is partly responsible if he failed to indicate.

I drive a bike here but drove a car and a London bus before I came here. I won't go up the inside of a car like that for any money. My lack of accidents in my 40+ years of driving (20+ as a professional) has been based on having zero percent trust in every other road user, and that is magnified tenfold here. I see bikes going up the inside of vehicles with their left indicator on and I just shake my head in disbelief. If the pick up wasn't indicating there blame lies with him, otherwise bike's fault. Just thinking "What if...." when driving would reduce accidents instead of looking at just the 10 feet in front.

9 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Oh my, how delusional you are. The traffic law that exists in almost every country in the world clearly states that any vehicle coming up from behind has ALL responsibility for a safe pass. 

For the person that drives the first vehicle will have to check so it's safe to turn or stop on the leftmost lane but that anyone who brakes or turn left (another ballgame if there is one or more lanes on the left, motorbike lane or any other type) don't have a juristic responsibility to do so, only for self preservation and road safety purpose. 

It doesn't mean that the police will "judge" correct but in court, if the driver of the car choose to protest the police decision, he will win his case. 

The reason why the RTP can have an opinion is because western people cave in all the time. 

In the UK Highway Code it says, "watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view", and then in Rule 160, it says "Once moving, you should be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. These are more difficult to see than larger vehicles and their riders are particularly vulnerable."

In the UK, motorcycles are allowed to undertake a slow moving vehicle, and it is always the drivers responsibility to only make a turn when it is safe to do so.

It appears that the motorcyclist was trying to overtake on the inside, which I believe is illegal (in the UK anyway), but seems to be an accepted practice here - gave me "quite a start" when it first happened to me! But the truck driver is also at fault for not indicating that he was going to turn left - if indeed that is what he was about to do!

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

In the UK Highway Code it says, "watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view", and then in Rule 160, it says "Once moving, you should be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. These are more difficult to see than larger vehicles and their riders are particularly vulnerable."

In the UK, motorcycles are allowed to undertake a slow moving vehicle, and it is always the drivers responsibility to only make a turn when it is safe to do so.

That is in the UK and not here, In Australia there are signs on the back of trucks and buses saying do not overtake turning vehicles and there is a fine if you do try to overtake so the UK and Australian laws mean nothing here in Thailand but here in Thailand the law states that you are not allowed to overtake on the left hand side unless the front vehicle has indicated that he is turning to the right or unless you are on a multi lane road then you can pass a vehicle that is in the right hand lane

11 minutes ago, isitworthit said:

Can't even see driver could be anyone 

8 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Thailand rule #1, Farang is always in the wrong. Rule #2, motorbikes always have the right of way, even on the pavement. Pay the fine and go on with life. 

Sorry,  but that's a pure bonehead post, isitworthit.     That attitude may cause you serious injury or possible death on the Thailand roadways.

First as I have been noting for years,  and this includes the Thai media. Although this is Thailand and done all the time it is against the rules or laws which Thailand has been taken from the West.  If the driver wasn't a Farang this wouldn't even be a issue. You want justice now but this goes on day after day 24/7 if it all Thais it goes unnoticed!

The so call witness is no witness since it is all assumption on her part since she couldn't have been looking at the vehicle prior to the accident. 

You see this daily riding on the left of the vehicle daily even when it isn't a lane. Assumption but I can tell you the motorbike was in the process of passing the vehicle on the left which is illegal signal or no signal! 

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

It appears that the motorcyclist was trying to overtake on the inside, which I believe is illegal (in the UK anyway), but seems to be an accepted practice here - gave me "quite a start" when it first happened to me! But the truck driver is also at fault for not indicating that he was going to turn left - if indeed that is what he was about to do!

Not illegal in the UK for a motorcycle to undertake if the other vehicle is travelling at a slow speed, and the truck driver is not only at fault for not indicating but also for failing to make sure that it was safe to make the turn, you cannot just indicate and go, you also have to look, especially important when crossing another lane, as in this case, we don't have motorcycle lanes like in Thailand but we have cycle lanes which are basically the same and there are two notes in the Highway Code about turning left across those lanes as it expected that cars will be undertaken.

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

PLease provide a valid link to that claim, KamalaRider.   

I think that's hogwash

Section 36 (500b) in the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, read that part of hand signs or light signs and you will see the un-hogwash. 

I wish I could produce a newer document, but I can't find the translated document I had when I lived in Thailand.

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

As far as I can tell, there are 2 wrongs here.  The motorcyclist was clearly undertaking (no helmet so taking a risk to his life) and it appears (but difficult to tell) that the car driver neglected to indicate.  If he did then he's guilty of 'driving with undue care and attention'.

13 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Who gives a flying fig what it says in the UK.  Does this country even have a Highway Code book.  Biker is in the wrong simply because he came off worst to a bigger vehicle.  If the bike happened to be a cement mixer or a bus then the pick-up driver would be in the wrong.  

4 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Section 36 (500b) in the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, read that part of hand signs or light signs and you will see the un-hogwash. 

I wish I could produce a newer document, but I can't find the translated document I had when I lived in Thailand.

For the benefit of this forum you have stated a common opinion and failed to offer  a claim validation.

8 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Also see Section 45 about overtaking and passing! Sorry  Kamala - posted before I saw your comment!

11 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That is in the UK and not here, In Australia there are signs on the back of trucks and buses saying do not overtake turning vehicles and there is a fine if you do try to overtake so the UK and Australian laws mean nothing here in Thailand but here in Thailand the law states that you are not allowed to overtake on the left hand side unless the front vehicle has indicated that he is turning to the right or unless you are on a multi lane road then you can pass a vehicle that is in the right hand lane

It says in a multi lane road, but you appear to have added the bit about only if the vehicle is in the right hand lane.

[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It says in a multi lane road, but you appear to have added the bit about only if the vehicle is in the right hand lane.

[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

Do you know what a multi lane road is?

yes it means that if there is a vehicle in the left hand lane then you cannot pass it on the left hand side.

Being unusually pragmatic here - I guess they will have both learned a lesson i.e. Pick up truck use your mirrors and signal, motorbike don't undertake especially near road exits. Being even more pragmatic it looks like common sense has prevailed with the police and no further action has been taken in either case even though theoretically they both broke road rules in a way. Very glad nobody was seriously injured and the motorbike riders pride seemed to hurt more than his head did - could have been a lot worse

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived