‘Many’ Thais getting caught smuggling drugs into Japan

webfact

‘Many’ Thais getting caught smuggling drugs into Japan

By The Nation

e2e6c89d623d299e75581dc360d60d51.jpeg

The Royal Thai Embassy in Tokyo has said “many” Thais have been arrested trying to smuggle illicit drugs into Japan, taking advantage of its agreement to waive visas for Thais visiting for less than 15 days.

Anyone caught taking illegal drugs into Japan faces at least 10 years in jail and a 3-million-yen (Bt876,000) fine, the embassy said in a public notice.

It said “many” Thai nationals had been arrested at Japanese airports since early 2014 after drugs were found in their luggage or hidden on their persons.

The embassy said most of the Thais arrested were women ages 20-35 who’d been hired to transport the drugs by “African people” living in Thailand.

The embassy warned Thai travellers not to be fooled into transporting any items on behalf of other people because the items might conceal drugs.

“Dozens” of Thais were being tried in Japan over drugs being concealed inside innocuous items, the embassy said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332246

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-22

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Embassy in Tokyo has said “many” Thais have been arrested trying to smuggle illicit drugs into Japan, taking advantage of its agreement to waive visas for Thais visiting for less than 15 days.

Anyone know the Japanese for 'pesky foreigners'? 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The embassy said most of the Thais arrested were women ages 20-35 who’d been hired to transport the drugs by “African people” living in Thailand.

So why does Thailand tolerate the dodgy Africans that reside in LOS?  They seem completely oblivious to them.  

Another time, same place... how things can change.

"In 1919 methamphetamine was first produced in Japan. During the 1940s the Japanese government distributed amphetamine pills to soldiers, sailors and pilots as well as to arms factory workers, to mobilize all their reserves for the war effort. Pilots routinely used the drug to remain awake and alert for long periods on long distance bombing missions."

http://www.japanhemp.org/en/speed.htm

The Japanese should enact a new law to sentence these drug trafficker to death instead of feeding them for life in prison. It is all about the law, whatever talk and education are useless if they face a country like Thailand. Go try Singapore, Malaysia or Indonesia!

A year and a half ago, my wife and I went to live in Japan for a short while.  My wife is Thai.  Immigration started to heavily question her.  We went through different immigration lines.  They didn't question me whatsoever.  I am American.  After two minutes of waiting I approached the line with my passport out.  The immigration officer looked at me and said "oh, she's with you?" I said "Yes, she's my wife".  Instantly he stopped questioning her.  It was an... interesting event.

I have  no sympathy  for drug mules.   I  have also had a similar stop over where my wife was

getting questions until I leaned over  and said she is a Canadian and my wife. The customs guy

said, sorry and we continued on our way. Amazing how Asians are treated so differently in Japan.

Geezer

15 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have  no sympathy  for drug mules.   I  have also had a similar stop over where my wife was

getting questions until I leaned over  and said she is a Canadian and my wife. The customs guy

said, sorry and we continued on our way. Amazing how Asians are treated so differently in Japan.

Geezer

Not even those who have no idea that are mules, like probably most of these young women?

Anyone trying to smuggle dugs into Japan is an idiot. I've been thru Osaka airport twice and have had my bags thoroughly searched by Japan Customs.Only place it's ever happened to me.

And I'm a 50 year old white male from America - so they're not profiling Thais. It's everyone!

13 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

So why does Thailand tolerate the dodgy Africans that reside in LOS?  They seem completely oblivious to them.  

Recent raids suggest otherwise - lots of blacks rounded up in BKK and Pattaya.  On Saturday I watched two black suspects exchange money & mystery package right next to the police box on Suk soi 15 Nana.