Pricing Policies At Sansuk Sauna, Racist Or Not Racist?

Thaiquila

Do you think a sauna that has a free or lower price for ALL Thais, young AND old, rich AND poor, is RACIST?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWS ALERT!

Now, there is NO MORE RACISM at the SanSuk Sauna in Pattaya! It seems enough people did indeed CORRECTLY believe the old pricing policy to be RACIST that the owner decided to mend his ways. Fan Tastic.

Congratulations to the owner of the SanSuk Sauna and the gay people and visitors to Pattaya for now having a fabulous new sauna with all the trimmings ... and NO RACISM!

Reports are the new policy are EXACTLY as I suggested:

ALL people of ALL RACES and NATIONALITIES (now not only Thai nationality) aged 18 to 25, now free! Did you hear that you young Russkies? Get your Russkie butts on over to the SanSuk Sauna. There is a warm welcome waiting ...

And now, ALL those of ALL RACES and NATIONALITIES (now not only Thai nationality) who are aged 26 to 30, get in HALF PRICE.

Kudos, SanSuk sauna owner! Many thanks.

Also, in case there are cries of AGEISM, those over 90, free! Again, all RACES and NATIONALITIES.

Good news for a change. See you at the tubs ....

Edited by Thaiquila

NEWS ALERT!

Now, there is NO MORE RACISM at the SanSuk Sauna in Pattaya! It seems enough people did indeed CORRECTLY believe the old pricing policy to be RACIST that the owner decided to mend his ways. Fan Tastic.

Congratulations to the owner of the SanSuk Sauna and the gay people and visitors to Pattaya for now having a fabulous new sauna with all the trimmings ... and NO RACISM!

Reports are the new policy are EXACTLY as I suggested:

ALL people of ALL RACES and NATIONALITIES (now not only Thai nationality) aged 18 to 25, now free! Did you hear that you young Russkies? Get your Russkie butts on over to the SanSuk Sauna. There is a warm welcome waiting ...

And now, ALL those of ALL RACES and NATIONALITIES (now not only Thai nationality) who are aged 26 to 30, get in HALF PRICE.

Kudos, SanSuk sauna owner! Many thanks.

Also, in case there are cries of AGEISM, those over 90, free! Again, all RACES and NATIONALITIES.

Good news for a change. See you at the tubs ....

I get it! so the majority of respandants are wrong :o

But it is great news for folks that think agism is OK ... but are offended by any other form of choosing who pays :D

So by this stick ... you could have 3 tier pricing ......

under 25 free

25-25 180baht

45++ 360 baht! would that be OK?

Edited by jdinasia

You see this happen nearly everywhere you go. Let me give you a few examples. As stated in a previous reply, there is the ever so popular "Ladies Night" designed to draw in all the women (usually not as big of drinkers/spenders as the men) which in turn (hopefully) will draw in the men. Not that this ploy ever works on me. Is this sexist? The gay clubs here in Florida have teen nights where they charge the under 21's hefty cover charges and the over 21's get in free. Is this agist? And finally, as resident of Florida, I often see advertisements for the Orlando theme parks for "Florida Residents" only. Is this state-ist? (LOL) My point being, dont confuse marketing and economics for sexism, agism, racism, state-ism or any other ism you may come up with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've heard many farangs complain of paying more fee than Thai at someplace. :o

But I've never heard any farang complain when they get some priviledge over thai people, such as travel to any country without any visa, better treatment from the receptionist, getting better job easily , getting some attention with their fake blond etc. :D

Racist in Thailand, Double pricing, nationalist. Ah, get used to it or stay home in your own country. I know of some places in Bkk that will not let you in the front door if you are white and they tell you Asian only. I respect that. But I know some places that let white in there, no problem, but the owners who run the Asian only places don't like Western clients, because it makes their business look a bad and I agree.

If you want a suana, go to Babylon and stay there.

To be honest, I don't like Westerners at all in most gay establishments. Am I a raciest, a nationalist, NO. I don't like western attidudes.

Always nice to see someone that thinks so badly of himself and his own race :o

Chuck, what places in BKK only let asian in?

A Chakran near Ari station - told a western friend of mine that he could not get into the place because it was asian only.

The suana near Major Radcantaion.

Some of the placess near Ram university.

But, heck. It's their busienss and I do respect them for doing what they do.

To be honest. I am not down on my race. I have never like western culture back in the U.S. and while abroad. Their attidudes and ideas make me sick. So, when I was in the U.S. Navy, we would come ashore. I would go one way to be with the locals and the rest would go off to find some beer or some local pussy to ######.

The same here in Thailand. Most of all my friends are Thai and I like to go to their places to have a good time. I do respect their business cultures and they say it is ok. There are many of us here like that. I do go to some western places mostly for the food and company (silom area soi 2/1 and 4 area), but leave and head over to the Room or 70's pub across from Lumpini park, why? You go there and check it out.

Chuck, what places in BKK only let asian in?

A Chakran near Ari station - told a western friend of mine that he could not get into the place because it was asian only.

The suana near Major Radcantaion.

Some of the placess near Ram university.

But, heck. It's their busienss and I do respect them for doing what they do.

Chakran gladly accepts westerners ..... (I go there often ... as well as to Mogue bar owned by the same folks>

One sauna that I know of DOES limit their special prices <for students under 24> to Thai only ... maybe that is the one you mean ... but they gladly welcome foriegners

No place near Ram excludes foriegners.

nice try though!

Try hard and come up with an Asian Only gay establishment's name and I will stop by when i am up next week!

and chuck ... when you were a cook in the Navy ..... was it because you were gay that you went off alone? I mean you weren't interested in pussy .... so .....

Edited by jdinasia

What a hot topic this is! I see a few people with very strong attitudes not listening to others with equally strong attitudes. I have been in Thailand for a year and a half. I think the pricing differences are racist. When I look up the definition of "racist", I find some definitions with judgements and some without. I think of racist as a decision based upon race. I know that saunas, parks and tourist attractions with different prices for locals and farang give discounts to anyone who appears to be South Asian. The discount is based on the cashier's perception of the customer's race or ethnicity. I get charged 30-60% more than my Thai boyfriend when I have us each check prices to buy things. I am a bit uneasy about this, but I also realize that I make 10 times more on my Amreican retirement income than my professional Thai boyfriend makes working full time. He gets charged 25% of his salary for farang food he cannot eat, he doesn't get breaks, he doesn't get paid for staying after work an extra hour for a meeting. I think he deserves any discount he gets -- or rather, I think that I have the means to pay a "farang tax". It doesn't really impact my standard of living very much.

I have gone to Chakran sauna, and although I was let in, I was not welcomed warmly, and found it very difficult to connect with the people there. It was an Asian sauna, for Asians. I don't have a problem with that, now that I know the scene. (I did have a problem with getting very sick from the food there, though.)

I think the western concepts of political correctnes often go overboard in their attempts to make everyone equal. Everyone is not equal. We have laws in America about race and gender, but there aren't too many laws about rich people getting preference over poor people. Gay people are still discriminated against regularly, and so are non-Christians. As quickly as laws are made, people will draw lines in the sand somewhere else. In Thailand I am treated differently because I am a farang. I see much racism based on skin color among Thai people. I see many Chinese owners treat their Kmer or Tai employees very poorly. I see advertisement for skin whitening products everywhere. This seems more blatant than the discrimination I was used to in America, but I think this is mostly because I come from outside this culture. The longer I live here, the less I recognize these things.

What a hot topic this is! I see a few people with very strong attitudes not listening to others with equally strong attitudes. I have been in Thailand for a year and a half. I think the pricing differences are racist. When I look up the definition of "racist", I find some definitions with judgements and some without. I think of racist as a decision based upon race. I know that saunas, parks and tourist attractions with different prices for locals and farang give discounts to anyone who appears to be South Asian. The discount is based on the cashier's perception of the customer's race or ethnicity. I get charged 30-60% more than my Thai boyfriend when I have us each check prices to buy things. I am a bit uneasy about this, but I also realize that I make 10 times more on my Amreican retirement income than my professional Thai boyfriend makes working full time. He gets charged 25% of his salary for farang food he cannot eat, he doesn't get breaks, he doesn't get paid for staying after work an extra hour for a meeting. I think he deserves any discount he gets -- or rather, I think that I have the means to pay a "farang tax". It doesn't really impact my standard of living very much.

I think you meant South East Asian above ..... but I think you miss the point. Typically Thai's avoid confrontation and if they cannot determine that someone is not Thai easily ..... they just accept that they are. Trust me when they know they charge all foriegn tourists the same

I have gone to Chakran sauna, and although I was let in, I was not welcomed warmly, and found it very difficult to connect with the people there. It was an Asian sauna, for Asians. I don't have a problem with that, now that I know the scene. (I did have a problem with getting very sick from the food there, though.)

I have another friend that says he didn't like Chakran because it felt like folks didn't want him there. But I have many more farang friends that really enjoy it there. My personal experiences there are that I get lots of attention. However I am never on the heavy cruise ... I typically sit at the bar and have a few drinks and talk to the staff and whoever comes up to me. As soon as they know that communication is possible things brighten up quickly! Many people go to places and assume that people are unfriendly but never think that people are shy about attempting to communicate in English

I think the western concepts of political correctnes often go overboard in their attempts to make everyone equal. Everyone is not equal. We have laws in America about race and gender, but there aren't too many laws about rich people getting preference over poor people. Gay people are still discriminated against regularly, and so are non-Christians. As quickly as laws are made, people will draw lines in the sand somewhere else. In Thailand I am treated differently because I am a farang. I see much racism based on skin color among Thai people. I see many Chinese owners treat their Kmer or Tai employees very poorly. I see advertisement for skin whitening products everywhere. This seems more blatant than the discrimination I was used to in America, but I think this is mostly because I come from outside this culture. The longer I live here, the less I recognize these things.

• 3 weeks later...

What's all the whingieng about??? Well done to Sansuk Sauna ,Pattaya was short of a gay sauna,ive been a few times and yes over 30 was the charge of 180 baht,but theres no sign saying it's more because your farang or whatever country you come from.The food and drinks in there are not extortionately priced,by the time the owners paid the staff the bills to run it,i can't see a lot of profit.Not even to mention wether you get free sex in there,the price just to go and relax and use the sauna facility is nothing.Enjoy it while you can...

I'm a big whiney baby.

I may have mis-copied your post a bit, Thaiquila.

You want someone to agree with you? Ok, I'll agree with you. You're right, it's racist. It's just not illegal.

Keep tilting at windmills, Amigo.

EW

Edited by expatwannabe

i'm sorry. I don't see it as racial descrimination. I guess most non-thai asians can get away with it because they look asian and may pass as Thai. They just can carry some sign poster telling them that they are Singaporeans or Chinese. You have to deal with it. There was so much argument of morality and what's right or wrong. I found it really entertaining since the argument is about place where a lot of immoralities happen.

Pattaya is a tourist trap. A lot of businesses have these double standards. You have to realize that they will grab every opportunity to milk money out of the tourist but they wouldn't do that to Thais. And that sauna is no different.

It's something that you have to accept. That in Thailand, these kind of places have business decisions to make and it's not based on race. I don't hear many Thais complaining about the steep entrance fee at Babylon or Chakran (230 Baht or more) because they want to be there.

If you really want to go to a certain place but they have a different price for foreigners. Would you pay and get on with or would pull out the race card?

• 4 weeks later...

what a load of rubbish u guys crap on about , most thai guys cannot afford 180 baht day after day to go to sauna , and most farang can , so to get a mix of 50/50 farang / thai the owners put that policy in place , just common sense , and it will probaly be the difference between success and failure, just take babylon for example i have met a lot of thai guys who have not been to babylon just because its too expensive , so i think posters who post racism here are liars , i think they are tightwad money scrooges with nothing better to whinge about.