Beer in Bangkok

richard_smith237

26 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

Tiger nor Cheers are part of the duo...so sorry to bring truth to your sensationalism.

The point still stands, TAPB is still a huge conglomerate that chokes out any competition. Cheers is an execrable beer, and the Tiger and Heineken brewed here are no comparison to their namesakes in Singapore and Europe. 

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It's worth mentioning that in other countries craft beers are often no more expensive than regular beers, so this is entirely a case of unfair taxation allowing a monopoly to strangle any competition at birth. 

In spite of the monotonous drivel of some posters this here is the truth.

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Aside from the fact that that the above beers are really not very good, to claim to be doing your bit for Thai culture is a bit dubious - these beers are produced by a couple of mega corporations that have the entire market sewn up and have completely disabled competition. There's some very creative and enterprising Thais who make excellent beer, sadly they don't stand a chance.

It's worth mentioning that in other countries craft beers are often no more expensive than regular beers, so this is entirely a case of unfair taxation allowing a monopoly to strangle any competition at birth. 

The problem with brewing beer in Thailand is the lack of the basic ingredients, most beers it's barley and hops I don't know if they are grown in Thailand but I doubt it.

Beer Lao seems to do very well and they use a lot of rice in their brewing process.

3 hours ago, adammike said:

The problem with brewing beer in Thailand is the lack of the basic ingredients, most beers it's barley and hops I don't know if they are grown in Thailand but I doubt it.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Craft beer, or whatever its called... A nice IPA or Ale is something I enjoy in the UK, its beer's equivalent of a tasty pub meat-pie and chips and makes a refreshing change from plastic ham-Cheese toasty's from S&P (if that analogy makes any sense at all). 

A good beer is lovely...  its enjoyable and a lovely refreshing change from the watery larger we see everywhere....  I don't care what it is or where it's brewed, I also don't care for this developing 'hipster image'... I'd just like to find a place where I can sit in comfort with friends and enjoy some good beer and not have the experience tarnished by the prices. 

I haven't managed to go fully 'farang native' yet and sit on the steps of a 7-11 with a can of cheers larger. 

Another 'beer place' which makes for a pleasant afternoon out with family & friends is Chit-Beer on Koh-Kret... its a trek from central Bangkok (about 1 hr).

IPA or Ale isn't craft beer you can buy it anywhere in the UK.

And you are aware that you can buy cans of beer from a 7/11 and take them home to drink in the garden as the sun is going down with friends. 

You carry on showing your ignorance. 

18 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Aside from the fact that that the above beers are really not very good, to claim to be doing your bit for Thai culture is a bit dubious - these beers are produced by a couple of mega corporations that have the entire market sewn up and have completely disabled competition. There's some very creative and enterprising Thais who make excellent beer, sadly they don't stand a chance.

Which is the main part of Thai culture.

And who are you to decide which beers I can like and which I cant? I have tried drinking IPA and real ales, I can smell my pants after a weeks wear, its pretty much the same smell and I'm sure if I licked it the taste wouldn't be far off.

Got to love how beer drinkers think they are a supreme being and not a left over from some bygone era.

Edited by berybert

13 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The point still stands, TAPB is still a huge conglomerate that chokes out any competition. Cheers is an execrable beer, and the Tiger and Heineken brewed here are no comparison to their namesakes in Singapore and Europe. 

Tiger is only 4.6% in England...still minute differences.  So now the lefties decide, how big a company can be before it is evil?  Do craft companies make cancer medicine or smartphone?  How about the stores you buy the stuff at?  The problem is with import taxes and the duo....but I went out last night and Tiger yai were twenty baht more than Leo...I did a few cold Leos...70, 75, 80,,,,at three different pretty good bars in Chiang Mai.  Nice evening out.  Apparently, a lot of losers get tapped out on Saturday nights. Saw this six foot tall Chinese girl....wow!, and compared to drinking, or should I say nursing 220 THB crafies that often taste like Benzene; with a bunch of dudes on their phones......

Anybody ever tried Dwyer's Cream Bitter. Bit cheaper than most, I had a pint in the Black Swan for 180. Not sure if that is a happy hour price and not sure of the %abv as they are not a very communicative bunch. Tasted fine anyway.

Strange posts, please explain. Not sure what the three bears have got to do with it. And please "bear" in mind that the OP was related to reasonably priced gear.

Has anyone posting on here ever had a serious session i.e. eight pints or more? If you haven't.........

Edited by rott
Not sure, bit pissed.

1 hour ago, rott said:

Strange posts, please explain. Not sure what the three bears have got to do with it. And please "bear" in mind that the OP was related to reasonably priced gear.

Has anyone posting on here ever had a serious session i.e. eight pints or more? If you haven't.........

I do about 15 small....so yes, the writing is on the wall that paying 200 per beer is not going to work, especially when 3000 lasts me for a week of schmoozing and boozin.  

On 24/11/2017 at 11:37 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Life must be a real blast !!!... Troll somewhere else... this thread is not for sad depressing puritans... 

Sorry to be pedantic, but puritan was an early word for Protestant. Nothing sad or depressing about us.

Puritan meant purifying the C of E of popish practices, not necessarily of leading a totally pure life. Though I am sure that many of them did.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:14 PM, rott said:

Anybody ever tried Dwyer's Cream Bitter. Bit cheaper than most, I had a pint in the Black Swan for 180. Not sure if that is a happy hour price and not sure of the %abv as they are not a very communicative bunch. Tasted fine anyway.

Hard to say. I had a pint at lunchtime a few years ago in Hanrahan's in soi 4 and enjoyed it so much I wound up drinking several. But I had a pint in the relaunch promotion recently and it tasted too sweet, almost cloying. Could have been a bad pint though,. Think it's brewed locally under license.

A good local craft recommendation brewed in country by Singha, is their Est 33 Copper beer, available in quite a few places around town. Not bad at all, often around 200 a pint or less.