A Salute To 50 Years Of Late Nights At Bangkok’s Malaysia Hotel

webfact

A Salute To 50 Years Of Late Nights At Bangkok’s Malaysia Hotel

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

MALAYSIA.jpg

BANGKOK — Night owls go to the Malaysia Hotel for its khao tom or to continue drinking at dawn after tiptoeing out of nearby Wong’s. Gay travelers have known it as an affordable place to stay and pick up young Thai men.

Few however may know the full history of this storied hotel, among those built to welcome American soldiers at the height of the war in Vietnam, where late comedian Robin Williams once occupied a room to shoot “Good Morning, Vietnam.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2017/11/24/salute-50-years-late-nights-bangkoks-malaysia-hotel/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-11-24

I've stayed there several times and when I first moved to BKK, I lived not far from the Hotel.   At the time, they had one of the few places you could make a long distance call in the area.  

I worked for a time for a program under the auspices of the US Embassy and I was amazed and the number of high ranking visiting gov't employees who would stay there.   Even though they had big expense budgets, the Malaysia Hotel had been home for them during the Vietnam War and it still remained convenient.  

I have a friend from HK who has stayed their for years when he visits and I saw one of the refurbished rooms.   Quite nice.   He didn't like a few rooms because the facade on the building obstructs the view, but it's not a big issue for him.

Archived