90 day reporting & resetting date after re-entry

My friend was just telling me he’s about to do his 90 day report, as he has the date stamped on the 90 day form from last time.

He’s been out of the country for 10 weeks, so I explained the count will restart from his latest re-entry date.

Not a problem, but he said the last time he did the same out-of-the-country-trip for 10 weeks, he went to immigration who only looked at his previous reporting date and processed it, giving him a new 90 day report date.

They obviously missed the re-entry stamp and TM6 dates. As it’s all on the immigration computer, I would have assumed (dangerous, I know) that it would have flagged up and refused to accept an invalid 90 day report date?

The 90 day report records are maintained at the office where the reports are done. The local system is not tied into the national database.

What happened to him was that immigration only went by the date on the slip in his passport. One way to avoid that happening is to take the slip out of your passport.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Not a problem, but he said the last time he did the same out-of-the-country-trip for 10 weeks, he went to immigration who only looked at his previous reporting date and processed it, giving him a new 90 day report date.

90 days from the previous report date, or 90 days from the latest entry? If the former he only cost himself a trip back to immigration earlier than necessary, if the latter then I don't see the problem.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 90 day report records are maintained at the office where the reports are done. The local system is not tied into the national database.

What happened to him was that immigration only went by the date on the slip in his passport. One way to avoid that happening is to take the slip out of your passport.

OK, UJ thanks.

As they scan they 90 day report barcode now and it prints out a new one with a minimum of fuss, I guessed as it was on the computer it would link to the national database, although you say it isn't, so no problem.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

90 days from the previous report date, or 90 days from the latest entry? If the former he only cost himself a trip back to immigration earlier than necessary, if the latter then I don't see the problem.

Sorry, from the previous report date.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

OK, UJ thanks.

As they scan they 90 day report barcode now and it prints out a new one with a minimum of fuss, I guessed as it was on the computer it would link to the national database, although you say it isn't, so no problem.

Did mine last month. No slip this time. A neat little card stapled in.

IMG_20171127_144800.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Off topic, how many stapled address report receipts am I required to keep in my passport?  There are 4 now and it looks ridiculous every time I use it.

3 minutes ago, csabo said:

Off topic, how many stapled address report receipts am I required to keep in my passport?  There are 4 now and it looks ridiculous every time I use it.

Only the receipt for the most recent 90 day report. They take the old one out of my passport when I do the reports at the office here.

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Did mine last month. No slip this time. A neat little card stapled in.

IMG_20171127_144800.jpg

Regarding the 5,000 Baht and 200 Baht per day fine.

I assume that's to do with the TM7 extension of stay, and not the 90 day reporting?

The way I see it, it could be interpreted either way, giving some unscrupulous IO an opportunity to fleece someone unaware of the regulations.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Regarding the 5,000 Baht and 200 Baht per day fine.

I assume that's to do with the TM7 extension of stay, and not the 90 day reporting?

The way I see it, it could be interpreted either way, giving some unscrupulous IO an opportunity to fleece someone unaware of the regulations.

No it's the fine for being late or not making a 90 day report. 5,000 is the maximum fine. The standard fine is 2,000. They can charge 4,000 if you are caught and arrested. And they can charge 200 per day on top of any fine until it's paid.

21 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No it's the fine for being late or not making a 90 day report. 5,000 is the maximum fine. The standard fine is 2,000. They can charge 4,000 if you are caught and arrested. And they can charge 200 per day on top of any fine until it's paid.

Oh right, thanks.

I thought it was to do with extension of stay. I had no idea there was such a potential large fine and a per-day one too with 90 day reporting.

Not that it worries me, as I always keep track on what I have to do and when.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:54 PM, ubonjoe said:

The local system is not tied into the national database.

wow; doubtless you are right as always. pity this tho, as a lifetime IT guy having ramrodded many conversions, this effort is not all that significant; thailand 4.0 ?? maybe in a couple decades

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the receipt for the most recent 90 day report. They take the old one out of my passport when I do the reports at the office here.

I'm not talking about the 90 report. I am asking about the address notification receipt. They just keep adding to the stack. 

3 minutes ago, csabo said:

I'm not talking about the 90 report. I am asking about the address notification receipt. They just keep adding to the stack. 

The topic is about 90 day reports so that is what I assumed you were calling them a address report like many people do.

Same for address reports. Only the most recent one is needed.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The topic is about 90 day reports so that is what I assumed you were calling them a address report like many people do.

Same for address reports. Only the most recent one is needed.

I know what it's about. That's why I said "off topic" in my question. Thanks for the answer. 

As the OP,  an update:

My friend went to immigration a couple of days ago to do his 90 day report with the previous notification, despite having re-entered Thailand about two weeks ago, still having the previous 90 day report left in his passport.

He does worry about these things, even though I assured him it wasn’t necessary to do it yet. He refused to remove the old 90 day card, not being too au-fait with the regulations, and concerned he might cause himself a problem.

For the second time (for him) the IO ignored his entry stamp and TM6, and processed his 90 day registration based solely on the old 90 day notification date.

For the member who sent me a pm telling me, “If you don’t know what you are talking about please don’t comment with incorrect info”:

I was not commenting with incorrect info, but stating factually what had happened to my friend the previous year, and querying why it should happen.

So it has now happened again – erroneously by the IO by not checking all the details.

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So it has now happened again – erroneously by the IO by not checking all the details.

If the old 90 day report card is in the passport and the person turns up to do a 90 day report, then in someways it is understandable why the IO just goes ahead and processes it.

To be fair to immigration, there are a lot of people reporting daily and to physically check each and every persons passport / TM.6 for an entry that would have changed the report date is not really feasible, immigration are expecting people to know the rules and to report within the open period, which is not totally unreasonable considering that if somebody is having to do 90 day reports, then they are here for a long period.

25 minutes ago, Mattd said:

If the old 90 day report card is in the passport and the person turns up to do a 90 day report, then in someways it is understandable why the IO just goes ahead and processes it.

To be fair to immigration, there are a lot of people reporting daily and to physically check each and every persons passport / TM.6 for an entry that would have changed the report date is not really feasible, immigration are expecting people to know the rules and to report within the open period, which is not totally unreasonable considering that if somebody is having to do 90 day reports, then they are here for a long period.

That's a fair comment, and I can see your point of view, as the 90 day reporting itself has nothing to do with visa validity, permission to stay, etc.

There do seem to be quite a few people who just don't like going to immigration, and don't want to know about the regulations, my friend being one of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

There do seem to be quite a few people who just don't like going to immigration, and don't want to know about the regulations, my friend being one of them.

Roger that, I think we all know at least one person that fits the bill in this regard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1