Problem maybe filter

BEVUP

Hello all

Ok my set up

Small dunking pool for watching outside tv & young lad

2.5 mt x 2.5 mt x app 1m = 5000 lt

Have Sparta 100 pump = 146 ltrs p/min

Pantair Sand Filter (natural sand ) Max flow 190 ltrs p/ min (LSF11-21=40 )

After back washing & rinsing all this gunk just came back into the pool after returning valve to Filter (B/W every mth or so since it only lightly used )

Also just had an Amonia problem (cloudy not green ) but got that cleared up (Don't think I was shocking enough ) as i use Hi Chlor 5 in 1 Tablets

Could it be 

* Mud balling

* Channeling

* Something happening at the bottom of the Filter

* Broken Lateral 

* Need of Degrease

The filter has been in operation since new for 20 mths

I talked to Richard ( via website ) from Pool Smart in Surin & its sounding like I shall have to replace sand which would also allow me to inspect the Laterals

Any advice appreciated (to avoid sand change since it isn't that old) , but have read it doesn't last as long as in bigger filters

Sand is soft in Thailand and 18 months best if back-washed once monthly. Normally the natives backwash every time they go in the pump room resulting in the sand being stuffed within 12 months. Change and use "Eco Clear" recycled plate glass. More expensive but does a far better job & lasts 15 yrs. Use 80% of the sand required!  Make sure you don't use the recycled bottle glass! PM me if you can't get any local!

5 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

Sand is soft in Thailand and 18 months best if back-washed once monthly. Normally the natives backwash every time they go in the pump room resulting in the sand being stuffed within 12 months. Change and use "Eco Clear" recycled plate glass. More expensive but does a far better job & lasts 15 yrs. Use 80% of the sand required!  Make sure you don't use the recycled bottle glass! PM me if you can't get any local!

Thanks Bagwain

Bagwain

Been doing some research 

Glass is no doubt heavier (my filter specs say 80 kg sand ) but I thought 50 kg waas ample as it was app 2/3 full

So I would say I might be looking at 100 kg of sand ? am I right

Also is Pea Gravel or a courser grade of Eco Clear required for the bottom 

Thanks for the help 

5 hours ago, Bagwain said:

The filter should be only 3/4 full at best. They need room for backwashing.

No the "Eco Clear" is lighter.

so you would get away with 60 kg

They come in 20 kg bags!

Cheers

Thanks again

Am dealing with Pool Master & am about to make the purchase 

Just seems so much conflicting information on the websites 

I'm going to go with Eco clear but they do have another brand 

On 11/27/2017 at 10:14 PM, Bagwain said:

Make sure it is not coloured!! If it is then you have recycled bottle glass!! 

Hello Bagwain

Guess what, it is coloured & says Eco Clear on the bag "Recycled Glass " 25 kg -1000 bht p/bag

Just came in a white sack not like the vacume sealed I seen on the web site

So I guess the ? is, What's the difference ?

Thanks again

PS: Maybe some one can help out as to why a company charged me 722 bht for 300 km delivery but clearly stated on invoice 304 bht - for 15 kg 2 sq/ft

10 hours ago, Bagwain said:

As previously stated "Eco Clear" is recycled plate glass and is white!! There is a large size that is used in the base 10% on large filters that is coloured! If it is coloured it is recycled bottled glass! Makes sense! The brochure attached shows it as brown. "It is white" 

Eco Clear Brochure.pdf

So obviously it is not the same product 

The bag I got had Eco clear labeling & a checked box for either fine or coarse (like a white plastic rice bag ) 25 kg

As you know this is from a big swimming outlet in Thailand who also slugs you in the shipping fee

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

So obviously it is not the same product 

The bag I got had Eco clear labeling & a checked box for either fine or coarse (like a white plastic rice bag ) 25 kg

As you know this is from a big swimming outlet in Thailand who also slugs you in the shipping fee

The proper "Eco Clear" comes in 20 kg bags. White plastic bags as well. You will have to pay some freight if you can't collect. Usually about 200 baht a bag for up country. That is what I pay to get 20 kg of PebbleCrete from Phuket to Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bagwain

Have replaced my sand with the glass

All looked fine when opened up Filter - The only thing I could say is that the sand looked like it was hollowing out in the center pushing it up the sides

All the laterals were good (I took them out as I cleaned everything )

I may have fallen short on the glass (shop said my quantity should be ok )

* Put 25 kg coarse in the 50 kg fine

* Just came across an Onga pamphlet stating 30 kg coarse & 60 kg fine 

* Rechecked set up specs Pump 146 ltr p/m & Filter 190 ltr p/m

* All pluming above ground

!! I still think I'm getting debre settling on the bottom near the out lets - Have 3 x 3/4 inch

* I don't think pump is to strong for filter

! maybe due to the short fall in media

As you know any advice appreciated (I guess I'm lucky I only had room for a dunking pool as the big ones can become a nightmare 55 )

Ps: All pool readings ok & by the way do you deal in Aqua 7 in 1 strips & non stabilized Chlorine shock 

! I can't use the tablets all the time as it is building up the CA

Im using Trychlor products from Auss at the moment but will no doubt run out one day 

The media sounds like it is getting to much flow to be like that? Weird! The amount of media you have is OK! Don't sweat! Let me know how it goes!

Try and get some 70% calcium hypochlorite and alternate monthly  using that. It is has a calcium base and no cynuric acid. The calcium is needed. The Calcium hardness in most cases is ignored in Thailand. But needs to be around 250 - 300 ppm. 

Cheers

53 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

The media sounds like it is getting to much flow to be like that? Weird! The amount of media you have is OK! Don't sweat! Let me know how it goes!

Try and get some 70% calcium hypochlorite and alternate monthly  using that. It is has a calcium base and no cynuric acid. The calcium is needed. The Calcium hardness in most cases is ignored in Thailand. But needs to be around 250 - 300 ppm. 

Cheers

OK Thanks

Bagwain 

Been doing a little research, & you may be right about to much flow

Hard to find info on my model so I looked at another model with similar specs ( Pentara - same brand ) 

Was looking at my pump & it says 10.6 m3 p/h = 176 ltr p/m ( the pamphlets say 8.8 m3 p/h  for this model )

Also I noticed that the Max Flow Rate is dropped by 20 ltrs p/m to get the Designed Flow Rate ( on the Pantera )

So if my pump is saying "the above " & my Max Flow Rate for my filter is 190 ltr / min then I would say that the Design  Flow Rate would be 165/170 

Therefore putting my pump above as to what is required - This is if my theory is right 

* I might have to tap into the outlet of the pump leading into the filter & fit a small pipe with a tap returning it to the pool

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Bagwain 

Been doing a little research, & you may be right about to much flow

Hard to find info on my model so I looked at another model with similar specs ( Pentara - same brand ) 

Was looking at my pump & it says 10.6 m3 p/h = 176 ltr p/m ( the pamphlets say 8.8 m3 p/h  for this model )

Also I noticed that the Max Flow Rate is dropped by 20 ltrs p/m to get the Designed Flow Rate ( on the Pantera )

So if my pump is saying "the above " & my Max Flow Rate for my filter is 190 ltr / min then I would say that the Design  Flow Rate would be 165/170 

Therefore putting my pump above as to what is required - This is if my theory is right 

* I might have to tap into the outlet of the pump leading into the filter & fit a small pipe with a tap returning it to the pool

See how you go with the new media before altering the plumbing!

Archived