How to do screen lock on apple mac book pro

ghworker2010

I have an apple MBP that I purchased 1 to 2 yrs ago. It doesn't have the fancy touch buttons that you see on the new apple laptops (located above the keyboard). My laptop is one of the older ones that still has the usb ports on either side of the laptop which I like. 

Anyways, is there anyway to set up hot keys to do an immediate screen lock? Using the mouse if I use the 'sleep' function the screen goes black but anyone can still get into the laptop if it is before the 3 minute to 5 min time frame. It takes several minutes before a password is required. I want an immediate password to be required when locking it. 

Can you help.

thanks

What happens when you press  Shift-Opt-Cmd-Q

...from 11 years ago, but it might still be implemented on current versions of the OS"

MAC OS X HINTS
By Rob Griffiths, Senior Contributor, Macworld | JAN 25, 2006 

A simple way to protect your files when you walk away from your computer is to hit Shift-Command-Option-Q to do a fast logout of your user. Your Mac will go back to the login screen. However, there’s a huge downside to this method—all of your currently-open documents will close, and any running applications will quit prior to the logout. Clearly there must be better alternatives, and there are.

A relatively quick method of locking your Mac—while still leaving your programs running—is to activate the screen saver using a hot corner . To do this, open the Desktop & Screen Saver System Preferences panel, activate the Screen Saver tab, and click the Hot Corners button. Decide which corner of your screen you’d like to use, then click the corresponding pop-up menu and select Start Screen Saver. Now when it’s time to walk away, just fling your mouse into that corner of the screen, and you’ll trigger the screen saver.

15 hours ago, RichCor said:

What happens when you press  Shift-Opt-Cmd-Q

...from 11 years ago, but it might still be implemented on current versions of the OS"

MAC OS X HINTS
By Rob Griffiths, Senior Contributor, Macworld | JAN 25, 2006 

A simple way to protect your files when you walk away from your computer is to hit Shift-Command-Option-Q to do a fast logout of your user. Your Mac will go back to the login screen. However, there’s a huge downside to this method—all of your currently-open documents will close, and any running applications will quit prior to the logout. Clearly there must be better alternatives, and there are.

A relatively quick method of locking your Mac—while still leaving your programs running—is to activate the screen saver using a hot corner . To do this, open the Desktop & Screen Saver System Preferences panel, activate the Screen Saver tab, and click the Hot Corners button. Decide which corner of your screen you’d like to use, then click the corresponding pop-up menu and select Start Screen Saver. Now when it’s time to walk away, just fling your mouse into that corner of the screen, and you’ll trigger the screen saver.

I ended up working out how to use hot corners.. but.... when I drag hover over the left hand corner it does invoke the screen saver. But if I hit the enter key 5 or 10 seconds later the whole laptop screen opens again. ie. it is NOT locked at all. 

I want to be able to invoke the log in screen right away. 

You need to tick "Require a password" and set the timeout interval

macOS Sierra: Require a password after waking your Mac

support.apple.com

-- or -- 

How to lock your screen in OS X
There are several ways to lock your display in OS X and prevent unauthorized access
should you need to briefly leave your system.

c|net   |  By TOPHER KESSLER  |  OCTOBER 10, 2012