Do you change your voice when you speak Thai?

BadCash

I guess I've always kind of noticed that foreigners tend to sound as though they speak in a slightly different voice when speaking Thai as compared to their normal language. Usually a bit more high-pitched/nasal.

Today at the checkout counter in Big C it became almost hilarious when the foreign guy behind me, who had previously been speaking to his buddy in english, greeted the clerk with a "sawadee krap" in a completely different voice from 5 seconds earlier. I haven't given it much thought before, but that incident really made me curious as to whether people do this on purpose or without even noticing it themselves?

Do you use a different voice when speaking Thai - and if so, why? (not talking about tones here, more generally the overall tone of voice)

It is called a Thai accent. Some people speak English to other English speakers In a Thai accent also when in the company of Thai people. "do this on purpose" Yes, in that you are trying your best to speak like a Thai person. A male friend who doesn't speak Thai learnt how to shout 'fore' from the caddies on the golf course, Foh na ka" .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect