Bangkok police could lower city speed limits to "halve road accidents by 2020"

webfact

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Virtually all accidents can be avoided by lowering speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Bulls hit.

Speed increases the severity of the crash and conversely a lower speed lessens the severity of the crash.

As long as drivers/riders fail to drive in a 'proper manner' then 'crashes' will continue. :post-4641-1156693976:  Ipso facto - no drivers no riders no crashes. 

And yes, there are other mitigating factors as well.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't read the whole thread yet but I daresay speed also increases the likelihood of a driver "losing control."  I've never figured out how a person randomly loses control of a vehicle unless there is ice or some other slick road condition involved (or, I suppose, they get distracted and somehow manage to let go of the wheel enough and for long enough to get into a drift they can't recover from/overcorrect too much to recover from), but I've seen videos of it so it must happen (the videos of guys in powerful supercars who give it a little too much gas aside).

Bulls hit.

Speed increases the severity of the crash and conversely a lower speed lessens the severity of the crash.

As long as drivers/riders fail to drive in a 'proper manner' then 'crashes' will continue. :post-4641-1156693976:  Ipso facto - no drivers no riders no crashes. 
And yes, there are other mitigating factors as well.

So it is just as likely for a slow moving vehicle following closely to rear-end the car in front of them as a fast moving vehicle following closely?

Just as likely for a slow moving vehicle to roll over into a ditch dodging a dog running across the road?

Ipso facto indeed.

7 hours ago, mogandave said:

So it is just as likely for a slow moving vehicle following closely to rear-end the car in front of them as a fast moving vehicle following closely?

Just as likely for a slow moving vehicle to roll over into a ditch dodging a dog running across the road?

Ipso facto indeed.

Forget the general use of the word speed (mainly used in conjunction with mandated speed limits) and use instead "driving too fast for the conditions", regardless of mandated limits!

In addressing your 'examples':

1) the second fast moving vehicle should be further back from the vehicle in front!

2) Run the dog over if you cannot stop in time. Why risk a crash in trying to avoid? Yes I know,  bloody minded to some.

"Driving to the conditions" is, in my mind paramount, regardless of speed mandated or otherwise. Crashes and death can happen at mandated slow speeds also. :coffee1:

On 11/29/2017 at 4:22 AM, Thaiwrath said:

As if a lot of the drivers here are going to take any notice.

It's a good idea, and hopefully, if enforced, it will reduce casualties on the roads.

Good chance of the 'fines' kitty being greatly increased too !

Great Idea! But who's going to enforce the law???

Forget the general use of the word speed (mainly used in conjunction with mandated speed limits) and use instead "driving too fast for the conditions", regardless of mandated limits!

In addressing your 'examples':
1) the second fast moving vehicle should be further back from the vehicle in front!
2) Run the dog over if you cannot stop in time. Why risk a crash in trying to avoid? Yes I know,  bloody minded to some.

"Driving to the conditions" is, in my mind paramount, regardless of speed mandated or otherwise. Crashes and death can happen at mandated slow speeds also. :coffee1:

I said lowering speeds, not lowering speed limits.

In any event, in virtually every collision, at least one of the vehicles involved was traveling at too great a speed for the conditions.

Ipso facto!!!

The police don't stop people for speeding, the fines are a joke, and only 50 percent pay them duh.  Bangkok and pedestrians have little to do with the carnage.  Another farce...it's about enforcement dumbos

Again, how does a cop on a moped run down a car to write a ticket.

50% is better than nothing.

9 hours ago, mogandave said:

I said lowering speeds, not lowering speed limits.

In any event, in virtually every collision, at least one of the vehicles involved was traveling at too great a speed for the conditions.

Ipso facto!!!

"I said lowering speeds,..."

And apart from removing the vehicles wheels, how do you propose to lower speeds? A viable solution for Thailand would just about get you promoted to General! Knock yourself out! :coffee1:

"I said lowering speeds,..."

And apart from removing the vehicles wheels, how do you propose to lower speeds? A viable solution for Thailand would just about get you promoted to General! Knock yourself out! :coffee1:

Lowering the limit will slow some people down...

Installing cameras will slow a lot more...

Yes?

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes?

"I said lowering speeds, not lowering speed limits." (from your earlier post!) Now you have changed your mind?

There are "security" cameras around Bangkok, many of which do not work! What makes you think that installing speed cameras will work?  As I said - 'knock yourself out'. 

You are starting to sound like a spokesperson for the Government - I would think you're not, but fiddling with the edges of the deep seated problems of road trauma is not going to cut it. Your heart maybe in the right place, but please learn from history. Sadly there is a fundamental culture 'problem' in this country.

The only 'short term band aid solution' maybe REAL LAW ENFORCEMENT. Unfortunately, again history shows, that the RTP is hardly likely to be capable or have the will to do that. :coffee1:

"I said lowering speeds, not lowering speed limits." (from your earlier post!) Now you have changed your mind?

There are "security" cameras around Bangkok, many of which do not work! What makes you think that installing speed cameras will work?  As I said - 'knock yourself out'. 

You are starting to sound like a spokesperson for the Government - I would think you're not, but fiddling with the edges of the deep seated problems of road trauma is not going to cut it. Your heart maybe in the right place, but please learn from history. Sadly there is a fundamental culture 'problem' in this country.

The only 'short term band aid solution' maybe REAL LAW ENFORCEMENT. Unfortunately, again history shows, that the RTP is hardly likely to be capable or have the will to do that. :coffee1:

I know it’s complex, but I said lowering speeds will reduce accidents.

I then said reducing the speed limit will result in reduced speeds.

16 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes?

No!

having a bigger presents of visible police patrol cars and decent motorbikes on the road issuing heavy fines by an non corrupt system. This does work. How can you send a camera instigated fine to a motorbike owner when the motorbike is unregistered and does not have a number plate. But not all accidents are speed related, there are many accidents that are just "get out of my way because I don't care about you and I am going to be first" Prime examples are T-Bones and head on accidents just to name a couple. There is only one cause of all accidents "driver attitude". full stop

You change driver attitudes and that will reduce road accidents and if you can do a good enough job of changing driver attitudes then there would be a possibility in having a zero road toll. Remember it is the drivers attitude that makes them speed, it is the drivers attitude that makes them tailgate, it is the drivers attitude that makes them say "Stuff the road rules, I am going to do what I want"

Many people would say but there are mechanical accidents where the brakes failed. Rubbish! It is the driver attitude that my vehicle is the best on the road and I don't need to check things to make sure they are not going to fail when I need them. It does not take much to check the vehicle to make sure everything is ok

Increase the penalties for all traffic offenses, start a new ticketing system where there is no on the spot payment of fines, all fines to be paid into a central account, more visible police on the roads enforcing the road rules. This will get the attention of the people and then you can start on the educating and training programs. Change the licensing system to include a drivers/riders learners permit system with 120 hours of supervised instruction and training before they can sit for their license then give them a probationary license for at least 1 year, both the learners permit and the probationary license carry speed restrictions, 60kph for learners and 80kph for probationary. Then we might see a reduction in the road toll

I have been driving here for 16 years, and I know with absolute certainty that when cameras were installed on the roads I drive, most everyone slowed down.

I can also say with the same level of certainty that the number police stopping people to extort money from them has virtually stopped on the roads o drive.

Many roads have also been improved such that the speed limits have been increased from 80 to 110.

I think it a good bet that all the whiners here either aren’t here, don’t drive here, or have not been driving here long.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect