Your Opinion On Surin Town

tato71

Dear Members,

Are there many Farang on this forum leaving in Surin or nearby.

I am interested to know the opinion of those people living there about

what they would think to be needed there. Such as what type of food is

not found, is there any karaoke, bluzz &jazz bar if any, how many guest

houses are available, are they many of them fitted with swimming pool.

Is there a permanent flow of tourist going in this area, i suppose that

being the elephant town of Thailand as well as a passing point for

going into Cambodgia i would think yes.

Your ideas and opinions are most welcome.

Wishing all of you an happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Tato

Dear Members,

Are there many Farang on this forum leaving in Surin or nearby.

I am interested to know the opinion of those people living there about

what they would think to be needed there. Such as what type of food is

not found, is there any karaoke, blues &jazz bar if any, how many guest

houses are available, are they many of them fitted with swimming pool.

Is there a permanent flow of tourist going in this area, i suppose that

being the elephant town of Thailand as well as a passing point for

going into Cambodia i would think yes.

Your ideas and opinions are most welcome.

Wishing all of you an happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Hi TATO

I live 5k outside of Surin but not permanently until this April and been coming here for 3 years.

To answer your questions in order

1.I feel that most tastes are catered for although I have not discovered a good Indian Restaurant yet.

2.numerous karaoke/thai rock/folk bars but not many perform English songs.

3.not sure of numbers of hotels/guest houses and a few have pools. There are enough.

4. I would not say a permanent FLOW of tourists,maybe a gentle trickle.EXCEPT for the November Chang(Elephant not beer!) Festival.

It as a pleasant rural area with wonderful people,plenty of amenities and is relatively safe and clean. Im sure a few of the older residents will 'chip in' soon but why do you ask and what would you like to do here ???

Best wishes and good luck :D

:o

Surin is one of the fastest growing towns in Thailand. Many industries are moving into the area. For additional info, immigration, hotels, historical sites, click onto the web-site at the top of the page.

Lampard,

there is one less there now, he has been busted for 4 years overstay, look under visas,

Hi Dave,

Well my wife and i are considering settling down there in 3-5

years time from now.

We would like to build a new guest house (15-20 rooms) with a pool, 1 restaurant,

1 karaoke. The karaoke will also be used for watching int'l soccer championship.

U said that indian food is hard to find there, that's a pitty coz its one of my

favorite food too. We will certainly include this type of food in the menu.

I also love to organize special BBQ once in a while.

Are they live jazz band pub in town ?

I heard that Surin is a passage point for travellers/backpakers headed

toward Cambodia, is that true ?

Is The Chang festival the only cultural evenement ?

Lampard is mentioning that Surin is attracting more and more industries around

guess then that the future of the area is quite promising.

You intend to settle down there soon are you going to work there

or simply a retirement life. I will be in Surin early April we could meet and i

would invite you for a beer or two.

Best regards

Tato

1.I feel that most tastes are catered for although I have not discovered a good Indian Restaurant yet.

Unfortunately, there is not an Indian restaurant in Surin. Also, many Indian spices are not available locally so it is necessary to bring them in.

Notwithstanding this, I consider myself very lucky to have picked Surin for my retirement.

Hi Dave,

Well my wife and i are considering settling down there in 3-5

years time from now.

We would like to build a new guest house (15-20 rooms) with a pool, 1 restaurant,

1 karaoke. The karaoke will also be used for watching int'l soccer championship.

U said that indian food is hard to find there, that's a pitty coz its one of my

favorite food too. We will certainly include this type of food in the menu.

I also love to organize special BBQ once in a while.

Are they live jazz band pub in town ?

I heard that Surin is a passage point for travellers/backpackers headed

toward Cambodia, is that true ?

Is The Chang festival the only cultural evenement ?

Lampard is mentioning that Surin is attracting more and more industries around

guess then that the future of the area is quite promising.

You intend to settle down there soon are you going to work there

or simply a retirement life. I will be in Surin early April we could meet and i

would invite you for a beer or two.

Best regards

Tato

Hi Tato

Sorry for delay in replying. Had a final holiday in Jamaica whilst I'm still earning money in UK.

I dont know of any JAZZ bars in Surin, only Thai rock or Thai/Khmer Karaoke. (my friend owns one and one hel_l of a good Thai business woman. Surin is a stop over for backpackers but I would not say I'v noticed large numbers, as I said before, more like a regular 'trickle'. You must go see 'ol lampshade as he is knowledgeable re the area. The Elephant festival during November is the Major event for Surin but there are numerous other

events that go on in the town or surrounding ones.

I would love to have a beer or three with you. Come meet the 'boss,' her family and our village.( its only 5k from town). I hope to be out FULLTIME ( :o ) in April and we will open our shop then. She has a small Hairdressing salon 'up and running' now and I will not be working, just busy doing everything else !!!! I am lucky by getting a early pension coming out this December which will make life a lot easier.(I hope).

PM me and hopefully we can meet up :D

GOD I MISS :D

KIND REGARDS Dave and Sri

There are now more than the nominal 'two farang watering holes ' in Surin. As well as the Farang Connection, now we have, Nobby moved his German Restaurant and shop from Nong Kai to Surin,(located in Soi Kola, opposite Speed disco) Brad's Cafe' American and Irwin's Oasis, both opposite the F.C., The Majestic Restaurant & grill,( next to the Hotel) cook a selection of our steaks & news has of another American bar/restaurant outside the side entrance to the Government Hospital. It'll be like Pattaya here soon. But the way the town is developing, there is room for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Indian Food

Can't really expect to find any indian restaurants in the Surin or Buriram areas, but does anyone know of any Indian families in the locality who might be prepared to cook some bulk freezer supplies of vindaloos and assorted currries, for a reasonable rate. Never noticed any Indians whilst out shopping, but there may be some

:o

There are now more than the nominal 'two farang watering holes ' in Surin. As well as the Farang Connection, now we have, Nobby moved his German Restaurant and shop from Nong Kai to Surin,(located in Soi Kola, opposite Speed disco) Brad's Cafe' American and Irwin's Oasis, both opposite the F.C., The Majestic Restaurant & grill,( next to the Hotel) cook a selection of our steaks & news has of another American bar/restaurant outside the side entrance to the Government Hospital. It'll be like Pattaya here soon. But the way the town is developing, there is room for everyone.

"

Another Pattaya" complete with its own Balmy Army,for what more could you ask??

I've noticed few indians in surin,or at least people on motorbikes with turbins on so i guess must be indian or seikh religion. On the other hand they could just be using it as a subdefuge so that they dont have to wear motorbike helmets,because it's against their religion to show their hair!!!!!

Wether or not they'l cook up some curry for you is another question and the chances are the meat could always be rat or dog. Hmm similar to the muck they serve up in the uk indian restaurants come to think of it. :D

Anyway to answer your question there is indians (thai/indians) in surin, Ive seen them around the train station road (inbetween the station and the level crossing to the left if your looking at the station). Happy hunting!!!

P.S. there is a local farang who knocks up his own curry's but it's like trying to get blood out of stone asking him to part with anything!! :D

He knows who i mean :o

Edited by johnsurin

Brad's American Cafe is now closed due to the landlord's refusal to renew his contract after one year of successful, problem-free operation. A shame because he had a great pizza and is a righteous dude. The reason the landlord stated was that there were "too many farangs" and that he wants "to clean up the bus terminal to make it more beautiful." He was also told by police officers when they asked him to take down his lettered advertising for his matchmaking service that "Thais looking for farang to love is offensive to people in the community. Our police chief feels that there are too many farang here and you shouldn't bring anymore."

But hey, if you want to waste your money on something in Surin where there is an amount of tourism hovering just above zero, where the locals smile and secretly hold you in comtempt, and you can't even own property in your own name, then come on in!