Two American tourists fined 5000 Baht for 'butt selfie' at Thai temple

webfact

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another silver lining.

They won't be guilt tripped into thanking the "president" like happened with the basketball players in China.

:1zgarz5:

This story has absolutely nothing to do with President Donald Trump.

Well maybe I can see the connection you are making, these two idiots were similar to those three basketball idiots for the fact they each embarass our Country by their actions abroad.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A truly obnoxious hateful agenda it is indeed. Smart to disengage from such moronic toxicity. 

Neural circuits of disgust induced by sexual stimuli in homosexual and heterosexual men: an fMRI study.

This study indicated that there were regions in common as well as regions specific for each type of erotic stimuli during disgust of homosexual and heterosexual men.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20576388

Oddly, homosexual men and heterosexual men experience disgust over different stimuli.  That is to say the brains are not wired the same.   One can try and be empathetic towards others and accept the differences between us or one can revert to the most base level man and shout " obnoxius, hateful, moronic toxicity"  insults.  So often those that claim to be discriminated against are themselves the first to engage in slurs.

Edited by isaanbanhou

"The Dasilva's are on the way home thanks to the non-stop efforts from friends and family. 

San Diego Gay and Lesbian News will have an exclusive interview with the couple once they return. "

They are famous now , maybe they love all the attention from media. 

16 minutes ago, balo said:

"The Dasilva's are on the way home thanks to the non-stop efforts from friends and family. 

San Diego Gay and Lesbian News will have an exclusive interview with the couple once they return. "

They are famous now , maybe they love all the attention from media. 

Absolutely. 

This sordid incident has been interpretted as some sort of victory for Gay Rights rather than be viewed for the disrespectful act it was of desecrating a place of worship and being callous towards another Cultures beliefs. Not too mention the complete immaturity of the act by grown men in their mid-30's. 

The take away should be that these two men embarassed their community and not that gay men should have the right to stick their bare asses in everybodies face.

Edited by ClutchClark

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Truly good news that they have been released and will be going home. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about it when they are out of Thailand. I doubt they will be quiet!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are right that these are not the type to remain quiet and avoid bringing further attention to their stupidity.

But you have me puzzled as to what they could possibly speak of that would have any interest?

You are right that these are not the type to remain quiet and avoid bringing further attention to their stupidity.

But you have me puzzled as to what they could possibly speak of that would have any interest?

Their time in jail; their feelings about what they did and the reaction; any remorse; how they were treated by the police/prison staff/courts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The whole thing was a joke from start to finish; that's if it has finished. Thailand should apologise to this couple and compensate them for their inconvenience.

The counrty is slipping away into a laughing stock.

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The whole thing was a joke from start to finish; that's if it has finished. Thailand should apologise to this couple and compensate them for their inconvenience.

When using sarcasm it helps to include a smiley emoticon at the end of the paragraph so everyone knows you were joking.

When using sarcasm it helps to include a smiley emoticon at the end of the paragraph so everyone knows you were joking.
I don't think any sarcasm was intended. I agree Thailand should Apologize. If I were the two, lawyers would already seek compensation....

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

They will play the victim of course. Most likely playing the homophobia card in the process.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I don't think any sarcasm was intended. I agree Thailand should Apologize. If I were the two, lawyers would already seek compensation....

Since it is relevant to the circumstances, are you gay?

Since it is relevant to the circumstances, are you gay?
Why would it be relevant? Two guys show their butts with Wat Arun in the background, a harmless prank. Yet Thailand places them on a watch list and locks them up for a week. Anyone, regardless of sexual orientation should condemn this. Too heavy handed.

I wonder why the Ferrari cop killer was not on any watch list....That guy didn't even spent a single night in jail....

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

No joke! No sarcasm!!

The court did even things up a bit.

The Don had a word with Tilly

Tilly had a word with Junta vice PM.

Vice PM had a word with  Ch-o-ch.

Ch-o-ch had a word with the court clerk.

Court clerk had a word with Miss Pinky.

Miss Pinky had a word with the justices.

Common sense shon through. Thanks Miss Pinky!

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

discussions with thinking thais reveal a slow realization that the current group of corrupt, incompetent generals is not what thailand needs; slow realization that the 'time for change' , even tho the options are not great, is upon us

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

No joke! No sarcasm!!

The court did even things upa a bit.

The Don had a word with Tilly

Tilly had a word with Junta vice PM.

Vice PM had a word with  Ch-o-ch.

Ch-o-ch had a word with the court clerk.

Court clerk had a word with the justices.

Common sense shon through.

no

that is called diplomatic influence

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Why would it be relevant? Two guys show their butts with Wat Arun in the background, a harmless prank. Yet Thailand places them on a watch list and locks them up for a week. Anyone, regardless of sexual orientation should condemn this. Too heavy handed.

I wonder why the Ferrari cop killer was not on any watch list....That guy didn't even spent a single night in jail....

The relevancy is the gay community has interpreted the arrests assome sort of attack on gay freedom and  is treating these two guys like heroes.

I simply wondered if that might influence your opinion on why it is perfectly acceptable for foreigners to travel to a Country and expose their asses in Holy Places with complete disrespect for the people and the culture they are visiting. 

The merits of this incident and the actions of each of us are our own alone and what happens to others has no bearing on our own guilt or innocence.  The fact the Ferrari killer has escaped prosecution does not makethese two not guilty of violating the computer crimes act for which they were arrested. 

Its like suggesting that you should be able to commit a crime without consequence simply because someone else committed a crime and got away with it. It lacks any basis in Logic.

7 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The relevancy is the gay community has interpreted the arrests assome sort of attack on gay freedom and  is treating these two guys like heroes.

I simply wondered if that might influence your opinion on why it is perfectly acceptable for foreigners to travel to a Country and expose their asses in Holy Places with complete disrespect for the people and the culture they are visiting. 

The merits of this incident and the actions of each of us are our own alone and what happens to others has no bearing on our own guilt or innocence.  The fact the Ferrari killer has escaped prosecution does not makethese two not guilty of violating the computer crimes act for which they were arrested. 

Its like suggesting that you should be able to commit a crime without consequence simply because someone else committed a crime and got away with it. It lacks any basis in Logic.

Nowhere do I approve of their actions, however, I am able to see it for what it is, a prank. It might be disrespectful, some thin skinned people might have gotten hurt, but that was all that happened. 

There is no way this action should lead to any incarceration, that is simply unjust and idiotic. The computer crimes act should be thrown out as soon as possible, as it violates basic human rights. 

What has happened here is that someone higher up the food chain has put a stop to the intention to prosecute the two under the computer crimes act, as they probably realized that continue to follow that route would have repercussions that Thailand is not prepared to risk. 

The junta will of course continue to abuse this law to silence domestic enemies. 

The fact that the ferrari killer was free to leave the country, just illustrates what a basket case Thailand's justice system really is, but of course we already knew that. Priorities, priorities. Show your butt, arrested whilst trying to leave the country, kill a cop, free to go to Singapore, nobody cares...

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Considering many responses on this thread, they would be absolutely right..... 

These two adult men are victims of their own stupidity and not being persecuted because of their sexual preference. 

The victim card does not apply here regardless how much you would like to play it. 

In fact, had these been two hetero college pranksters they would have suffered a worse fate since they would not have had the influence of the US Gay community to rally for them. 

BTW, college is about the maximum age that antics like this should be considered "cute". At the age of 34 & 36 these antics are simply embarassing.

5 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

These two adult men are victims of their own stupidity and not being persecuted because of their sexual preference. 

The victim card does not apply here regardless how much you would like to play it. 

In fact, had these been two hetero college pranksters they would have suffered a worse fate since they would not have had the influence of the US Gay community to rally for them. 

BTW, college is about the maximum age that antics like this should be considered "cute". At the age of 34 & 36 these antics are simply embarassing.

Embarrasing they might be, no reason to be locked up for over a week.

They are victims, because the Thai authorities have messed up, they should have levied the fine and let the two go to Cambodia and nothing would have come out of it. 

3 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Nowhere do I approve of their actions, however, I am able to see it for what it is, a prank. It might be disrespectful, some thin skinned people might have gotten hurt, but that was all that happened. 

There is no way this action should lead to any incarceration, that is simply unjust and idiotic. The computer crimes act should be thrown out as soon as possible, as it violates basic human rights. 

What has happened here is that someone higher up the food chain has put a stop to the intention to prosecute the two under the computer crimes act, as they probably realized that continue to follow that route would have repercussions that Thailand is not prepared to risk. 

The junta will of course continue to abuse this law to silence domestic enemies. 

The fact that the ferrari killer was free to leave the country, just illustrates what a basket case Thailand's justice system really is, but of course we already knew that. Priorities, priorities. Show your butt, arrested whilst trying to leave the country, kill a cop, free to go to Singapore, nobody cares...

The Ferarri killer has absolutely nothing to do with this incident. 

Based on the response by the authorities that these two received, it is safe to say that their flagrant disregard for Thai culture was offensive and Thai authorities made a good example to make similarly arrogant tourosts think twice before desrespecting their Holy Places in the future. 

The message has been delivered successfully so its just as well to send these two man-children back home. 

4 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The Ferarri killer has absolutely nothing to do with this incident. 

Based on the response by the authorities that these two received, it is safe to say that their flagrant disregard for Thai culture was offensive and Thai authorities made a good example to make similarly arrogant tourosts think twice before desrespecting their Holy Places in the future. 

The message has been delivered successfully so its just as well to send these two man-children back home. 

Of course the Thai authorities were offended. Personally I believe it tells more about the Thai then about the two butt showers. Yes it was disrespectful, yes it was in bad taste, no sometimes one needs to take a joke. A fine and sending them on their way, would have been more than sufficient. 

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Of course the Thai authorities were offended. Personally I believe it tells more about the Thai then about the two butt showers. Yes it was disrespectful, yes it was in bad taste, no sometimes one needs to take a joke. A fine and sending them on their way, would have been more than sufficient. 

You might say they got "spanked". 

4 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

You might say they got "spanked". 

I don't know, I was not present. All I know is they received a 5000 baht fine each, and were subsequently transferred to a Police station in Thonburi awaiting further charges. That last bit was not needed and shows the Thai authorities in a bad light.

Glad to see I was vindicated and the hysterical hand wringing of certain posters who feared the 2 juveniles were facing years in the slammer has been proved to be an over reaction, to put it mildly.

Still it's a pity they didn't get six months, maybe next time.