Bangkok Bank Online Interbank Funds Transfer - No Can?

lexilis

I wanted to set up an online way to transfer money from my Bangkok Bank account to one of my accounts at Siam Commercial Bank. On the online i-banking system of BB there is a page to set up just these type of 3rd-party transfers. It even has a pull-down menu of about 30 or so approved banks, one of which is SCB. Fine. Enter in the appropriate account numbers and then they send a one-time password and the account number to your phone which you then enter online. Unfortunately the system then says my account number (at SCB) is wrong. I triple checked and redid the process three times. Each time it says wrong account.

OK, a few hours later I go into the BB office at Meechok Plaza. I explained the situation and after the usual inefficiencies I was told that such a online transfer between banks cannot be done. Only between BB accounts I was told. On the young lady's computer I went to the BB i-banking site, showed her the menu of 30 banks for 3-rd party transfers and asked her "why is this there if it cannot be done?". No response, blank stare. I left.

I'll try the Central branch in a couple of days. But I though I would ask around first. Question: has anybody here achieved success with Bangkok Bank's online interbank transfers? Specifically BB to SCB. 

22 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Ridiculous of them to say interbank transfers can't be done online.

They probably did not say that.  The whole thing is a misunderstanding likely on both sides.

The no response blank stare speaks volumes.

Edited by Dante99

I would say it is a problem with the account number.

I have set up many transfers to various banks here without a problem using Bangkok Banks online banking.

Perhaps stop by a SCB branch and ask them if it is a valid account number. It is possible that some types of accounts cannot have funds transferred into them as well.

Easy solution, at least it works for me!

After you receive the SMS from Bangkok Bank, enter the last 3 (three) digits of the account number (don't type the whole account number) and the OTP, that's it!

Hope it helps

19 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Thanks Fab. That actually worked! All set up now.

Glad you figured it out.  I was about to say that I've been able to set up transfer accounts with various banks--including SCB--from my online BKK Bank account.  Works like a charm. 

1 hour ago, Fab5BKK said:

Easy solution, at least it works for me!

After you receive the SMS from Bangkok Bank, enter the last 3 (three) digits of the account number (don't type the whole account number) and the OTP, that's it!

Hope it helps

Oh yeah - I remember screwing that up quite a few times before I got it right. Looking at all the x-x-x-x in the form and wondering which part of the number I was supposed to type in.

Glad you got it resolved.. You can always use PromtPay.  and all you need to enter is your mobile phone number..

http://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/promptpay

BTW, I have used Bangkok Bank for 10 years as they provide the easiest way for me to transfer funds from the US.  BUT, when paying bills online, BKK Bank charges 20 - 25 Baht for each payment.

Last week I opened an account with SCB. They do not charge per payment and they show you who payments are made to. BKK Bank just shows 3 digit codes that you need to figure out what they are..

18 hours ago, lexilis said:

Thanks Fab. That actually worked! All set up now.

So you got exactly the wrong info from the woman at the bank. She said no when the correct answer is yes. How wonderful to know how efficient and informed they are. Is anyone surprised? Probably not. It often amazes me that Thailand manages to function at all when so many haven't a clue what they are doing.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

13 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Glad you got it resolved.. You can always use PromtPay.  and all you need to enter is your mobile phone number..

BTW, I have used Bangkok Bank for 10 years as they provide the easiest way for me to transfer funds from the US.  BUT, when paying bills online, BKK Bank charges 20 - 25 Baht for each payment.

Last week I opened an account with SCB. They do not charge per payment and they show you who payments are made to. BKK Bank just shows 3 digit codes that you need to figure out what they are..

They offer an economy service that is 12 THB...for transfers to an account number anyways....like my condo fee.  I use auto debit for PEA..and that is all I have.

Edited by BuddyDean

14 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I have an account with Bangkok Bank (for all my sins) and one with Siam Commercial Bank (highly recommended). Until this month, I've been transferring about 50,000B each month with a 35B fee (inter province and inter bank) from BKK to SCB. I've just set up my phone number with my SCB account for Prompt Pay, transferred 47,000B yesterday from my BKK account via Prompt Pay, charge was 5B. That's 360B/year I won't be giving to the Bangkok Bank horror show.

Check the SCB account number....

Also I recall I kept getting the account number wrong when the PIN verification  came back, I was confused as to what numbers to enter in the fields. I think you enter the last 4 digits of the account number followed by the pin. Suffice to say you can most certainly set up  payee into a different bank, pay quite a few bills that way.