Retirement extension question

I left Thailand with a re entry permit at the end of July this year and due to health reasons I may not make it back by 5 March next year, which is when my retirement extension expires. What happens if I miss this date?

Edited by delgarcon

Unfortunately, it means your current retirement extension that you "saved" by getting the reentry permit will NOT be saved. 
So basically you will have no retirement status at all if you enter after the expiration date. 

Your only option if you want to continue living in Thailand on retirement status is to start the whole thing all over again.

Really ... sorry. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Meaning in some more words that you must buy a Non Immigrant O before you are coming back here..

glegolo

Not necessarily. 
With financial qualification, you can CONVERT a 30 day stamp or tourist visa in Thailand to a 90 day O visa as the first step in a two step process, where the retirement extension is the second step. 

But bottom line, whatever path is chosen, it means starting over with any previous status totally gone. 

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not necessarily. 
With financial qualification, you can CONVERT a 30 day stamp or tourist visa in Thailand to a 90 day O visa as the first step in a two step process, where the retirement extension is the second step. 

But bottom line, whatever path is chosen, it means starting over with any previous status totally gone. 

You love to have the "last" word, I guess.... hahaha

glegolo

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

Meaning in some more words that you must buy a Non Immigrant O before you are coming back here..

That easier said than done. I can be very difficult if not impossible in some countries to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

Coming in on a tourist visa and doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa is the next best option.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That easier said than done. I can be very difficult if not impossible in some countries to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

Coming in on a tourist visa and doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa is the next best option.

So in  Australia Ubon Joe, it is nearly impossible to buy a single entry non immigreant "O" based on retirement you say??? Seems very strange to me actually.... I thought that this one was one of the most common ones..

glegolo

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

So in  Australia Ubon Joe, it is nearly impossible to buy a single entry non immigreant "O" based on retirement you say???

It is not possible to get a single entry non-o visa for retirement in Australia. The embassy and the official consulate in Sydney will not issue them and the honorary consulates are not allowed to issue them due to a directive from the embassy.

Options if you cannot return in time, and have to start over:

• Get a Non-O single-entry based on retirement (not available in some countries) or Non-OA (more difficult qualifications) from the Thai Consulate in your country. 
  • Get a conversion done here in Thailand.  May be very difficult at some offices, unless willing to pay a huge fee (over 10x the actual 2000 Baht cost) to an agent.
  • Go to Savanakhet Laos, and get a single-entry Non-O based on retirement there - easier option, depending on circumstances / location in Thailand.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

Thank you UbonJoe, may I ask, is tehre any reason for this, I mean that Australien thai embassy and consulates in specific, is stoping to issue this single entries Non O VISAS??

It is the same at the majority of Thai embassies and official consulates in your home country. They will only issue a non-oa long stay visa for retirement. You can get a single entry non-o for retirement at some honorary consulates but not all can do it now.

It states Non-O is only available for

1) Family support

2) Volunteer work

3) Condo owner

Document is required in all cases. For example, marriage certificate, letter of invitation to do volunteer work or paper for ownership. Non-O is for 3 months stay. You can do retirment extension after financial proof is shown inside Thailand

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I'm not going to get back in time to renew, I have to have another op. I'm a bit confused by all of the options and would really like to know which is the best one. Just a bit of background info, I came to Koh Phangan almost 6 years ago and started to extend my non imm "O" for retirement in 2014. I left Thailand in July last year with a re-entry permit. I have the 800,000 tbh in funds and annual revenue but can't meet the 05 March deadline.

5 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Unfortunately I'm not going to get back in time to renew, I have to have another op. I'm a bit confused by all of the options and would really like to know which is the best one. Just a bit of background info, I came to Koh Phangan almost 6 years ago and started to extend my non imm "O" for retirement in 2014. I left Thailand in July last year with a re-entry permit. I have the 800,000 tbh in funds and annual revenue but can't meet the 05 March deadline.

Your past extensions will not affect anything if you do not renew before your current extension expires.  You will need to re-start the process.  Having the money already in the bank is one less thing to do. 

If your local immigration office on Ko Phangan will do a "conversion" of a tourist-type entry (Visa or Exempt) to a Non-O entry, then that could get you back on track to annual extensions.  But even better/easier if you can get a single-entry Non-O before coming from a Thai Consulate, and enter with that.  Another option (sometimes the only one, at some consulates) is the Non-OA, which involves more paperwork to your Thai Consulate.

Once you have a Non-O entry, you can then apply for a "1-year extension based on retirement" just as you did before, starting at 30-days before the "permitted stay" date of your Non-O.

I outlined all options to "re-start" the process in my earlier post here:
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1013854-retirement-extension-question/?do=findComment&comment=12498400

On 2/12/2018 at 3:21 PM, JackThompson said:

Your past extensions will not affect anything if you do not renew before your current extension expires.  You will need to re-start the process.  Having the money already in the bank is one less thing to do. 

If your local immigration office on Ko Phangan will do a "conversion" of a tourist-type entry (Visa or Exempt) to a Non-O entry, then that could get you back on track to annual extensions.  But even better/easier if you can get a single-entry Non-O before coming from a Thai Consulate, and enter with that.  Another option (sometimes the only one, at some consulates) is the Non-OA, which involves more paperwork to your Thai Consulate.

Once you have a Non-O entry, you can then apply for a "1-year extension based on retirement" just as you did before, starting at 30-days before the "permitted stay" date of your Non-O.

I outlined all options to "re-start" the process in my earlier post here:
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1013854-retirement-extension-question/?do=findComment&comment=12498400

Thanks Jack