drive to BKK

lowprofile

Hi, thinking of driving to Bang Kapi area of BKK. I need to be there on a Saturday morning, around 8ish.

I don't drive really fast and would like to get there in one piece, relatively unstressed. I have driven through the night from Hua Hin to Phuket and would have to say that the big road from Surat toward Krabi had to be the scariest stretch I have ever driven. I am not familiar with BKK roads and tollways - having been lost a couple of times in the past.

Drive up Friday and get a hotel before BKK and go in very early before it gets too busy? Drive straight through the night?

What are the roadworks like now?

Any advice or suggestions of route and timing for this journey?

Cheers.

LP

The trucks a pretty crazy during the night, a bit easier in daylight.

I should have added, Ive only done the drive about 5/6 times and not recently, last time was about 3 years ago.

Edited by beechbum

You are talking from Phuket to Bang Kapi (North East Bangkok)?  Google says about 11:30 hour trip (too long) - if there no real reason why not fly Friday and stay in a Bangkok hotel  - taxi service is plentiful and easy in Bangkok.  Much safer and no worry about making meeting.  Much less stress.

If you have to drive due to moving family or something would suggest take two 6-8 hour daytime drives so easy to remain alert.

Many years ago we would drive from Phuket to Bangkok, only in day time as night truckers are crazy. We always got lost repeatedly in Bangkok.

With the advent of cheapy flights these days I would not even consider driving. Hua Hin would be my max drive cos it too far to get from BKK airport to Hua Hin.

I was thinking car because I wanted to carry on up to Isarn. I planned to take the bike with me and do some riding up there. I think flying might be the most sensible option and leave the bike at home - just use a motorbike up there again, instead. I'm going to need hotels whichever option I take. Nok Air have some decent deals, so yep, reality check time! Fly.

Cheers!

LP

13 hours ago, lowprofile said:

I was thinking car because I wanted to carry on up to Isarn. I planned to take the bike with me and do some riding up there. I think flying might be the most sensible option and leave the bike at home - just use a motorbike up there again, instead. I'm going to need hotels whichever option I take. Nok Air have some decent deals, so yep, reality check time! Fly.

Cheers!

LP

Good decision. 

Last year I drove from Hat Yai to Chiang Mai, which was a long drive! We were in no rush, so did it over 5 or 6 days.... and avoided driving at night. We also avoided Bangkok, but stopped there when driving the opposite route in April. Driving in Bangkok is not very enjoyable.

Another thing you need to consider if driving to Bangkok and staying in a hotel, is that many hotels don't have parking... especially those in the city centre. Your options are limited. We thought of booking a room in a nice condo via AirBnB, just for the secure parking. But very few had parking spots, because the owners tend to not have a car, so they rent their space to other people.  

drove up and down phuket/ Bangkok( and on to Poi Pet)  in May and Oct, only 2 places had roads works near Prachup Khiri Khan

it takes me 9 hours Phuket-Cha am and than 3 to sukumvit soi 4
or Cha -am- Poi Pet in 7

never have driven at night here and see no reason to..,,,i'd go day before an get a nice hotel and sleep

Edited by phuketrichard

On 12/2/2017 at 2:18 PM, phuketrichard said:

drove up and down phuket/ Bangkok( and on to Poi Pet)  in May and Oct, only 2 places had roads works near Prachup Khiri Khan

it takes me 9 hours Phuket-Cha am and than 3 to sukumvit soi 4
or Cha -am- Poi Pet in 7

never have driven at night here and see no reason to..,,,i'd go day before an get a nice hotel and sleep

When going to the north of Thailand i always stay at Cha Am overnight, you are past the traffic hassle of Hua Hin and get a good early run from there with little or no traffic to hold you up