Annoying loud promotional reps at Robinsons

ghworker2010

When I first moved to the sticks (N.E thailand) the local Robinsons was a peaceful place. Fast forward 5 yrs and now they have these idiots with a mic in one hand and a loud mouth promoting / selling something. For the first time they now have one inside Top supermarket everyday. As soon as I entered I could hear the loud voice speaking fast in Thai. The audio was excessively loud so I decided to go to the desk to ask them to turn down the volume. On arrival I saw a large lady screaming into the mic. I gave them some feedback they obliged thankfully. 

I think its ok to be assertive in these situations and ask them to turn down the volume. Most Thais are probably oblivious to the issue or they are too polite to say something. 

is there any evidence that these promotional techniques result in increased sales, i rarely see any locals paying any attention to them.

there are similar promotional people back home, they tend not to be too loud and usually do a demonstration as they talk, they use humour and the demonstration to get peoples attention.

have to admit it p*sses me off when you go into a shopping centre and some idiot is screaming into a microphone, there is no where to get away from it unless you leave, then again thais have no idea how to set the speaker sound up at the best of times so ir has a better sound, they think the bass set to full is the only way to go

Sounds pretty standard. Same thing going on in Tesco and others. A lot of stores these days even have loud speakers spouting commercials non-stop in the parking lots. I don't find this noise system of shopping in Thailand an enjoyable environment. I just get in and out as quickly as possible.

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Asians love noise!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed.  I can't sleep if it's noisy.

One of the noisy things that that locals seem to like here is the sound of rain at night. They all say it's 'sabai' and makes them go to sleep. It just keeps me awake.

When I had a GoGo bar in a previous life, some of the staff slept upstairs in a large room. The water bill for the building was about 500 Baht a month. Except one month when it was over 4,000 Baht.

We at first thought it was a serious leak and were checking everywhere for a wet floor area.

Further examination by the mamasan revealed one of the girls had been turning on the sink tap in the communal room all night, every night. She and a couple of other girls said the sound of running water made them sleep easily.

They changed their minds when we made them pay the water bill though.

Walked into the new Century The Movie Plaza in OnNut the other day - walked out within 5 minutes due to the obnoxious promotionlady with microphone and PA system. Not to mention the below freezing point aircon blasting at full speed. Honestly I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on in the heads of the Thais sitting and eating in that temperature and noise... hopefully it's just a phase due to the grand opening...