Easiest way to start retirement process - Australia

Okay, Guys, my parents are moving over. They are based near Brisbane Australia, and I need to start them on the road to getting the retirement process started.

I thought it would be best for them to come over on a SETV and then convert that to a Non-O. I looked at the retirement process in Australia and compared to here, it looks a nightmare!

So, once the SETV is converted over to a Non-O, we can start the retirement process. I am not too sure if this is the right way to go, but once they are over here, I can control the process.

I am hoping the process of converting from SETV to Non-O can be done in the country and not having to go to Lao.  Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

They can do a change of visa status to get 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a immigration office based upon qualifying for an extension of stay for retirement.

General requirements are here for the change. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Then they can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Unless both of them are going the apply for the retirement extension one of them would have to get a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate if they are going to get an extension based upon the others as their spouse.

You're a legend ubonjoe!

That has everything under control than for myself. The visa will be later completed at the Chiang Mai at the Prom office. 

Once they get the Non-O, they can then apply for a bank account. They then can put in the 800,00 in later or is it better for them to go via income as they earn much more than the 65,000 a month?

Thank you so much!

5 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Once they get the Non-O, they can then apply for a bank account. They then can put in the 800,00 in later or is it better for them to go via income as they earn much more than the 65,000 a month?

if using the money in the bank option it has to be in the bank on the date they apply for the visa. Then it would have to be in the bank for 60 days when they apply for the extension of stay.

Using the income option would be the best if they can prove 65k baht for each of them. It would be proven by doing a statutory declaration at the Australian embassy or at one of the outreaches they do in Chiang Mai.

38 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Couldn't they get a Non Imm O visa to enter Thailand in the first instance.

In Australia they would not be able to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

The embassy or the official consulate in Sydney will only issue a OA visas and the honorary consulates are not allowed to issue the non-o visa as per a directive from the embassy.

Ubonjoe It is probably not enforced since you don’t mention it but the ref. you posted says that 15 days must be left of the permission to stay, and less than that is ineligible to apply for an O ‘visa’.
TM 87 is the form for those with no visa but with a type of permission to stay of ผ15 ผ30 ผผ.60 and ผผ.90. Do you have any idea what ผ. ผผ. might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

It is probably not enforced since you don’t mention it but the ref. you posted says that 15 days must be left of the permission to stay, and less than that is ineligible to apply for an O ‘visa’.

When converting to a Non-O, this 15-day rule is enforced. 

16 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Ubonjoe It is probably not enforced since you don’t mention it but the ref. you posted says that 15 days must be left of the permission to stay, and less than that is ineligible to apply for an O ‘visa’.
TM 87 is the form for those with no visa but with a type of permission to stay of ผ15 ผ30 ผผ.60 and ผผ.90. Do you have any idea what ผ. ผผ. might be?

I didn't mention because it is shown on the page I posted a link to. It is enforced and some offices want 21 days.

The TM87 form is for those on visa exempt entries since they done have a visa to change.

14 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I didn’t know that a 60, 90 day visa exempt was possible and was hoping that if we knew what ผ. and ผผ. Stood for it might shed some light on it.
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I don't see 60 days on the webpage. The 90 day visa exempt entries are for those from some countries under a bilateral agreement.

This from the English version of the page.

1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for
non-immigrant visa        

The 15 days is obsolete since they are no longer done. 

Just reminder that Thai is only allowed on the Thai language forum.

3 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

So you don’t know what “permission to stay of type p.15 p.30 pp.30 and pp. 90 stand for”

I don't think it is really relevant to the discussion here. They are abbreviations so it hard determine what they mean. They might even be typos where they are doubled up. Perhaps they should be Thai for days.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless both of them are going the apply for the retirement extension one of them would have to get a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate if they are going to get an extension based upon the others as their spouse.

Okay, just got home. Thanks so much for your help.

So it seems if they do this as a married couple and just put the 800K in the bank for the both of them (as a dependant), one of them is going to have still to apply for a Non-o out of the country (Lao or Malaysia). 

If this is so, would it not be better for the both of them just to do Non-o's out of the country? It seems not right for only for one of them getting a Non-o in Thailand if the other has to go out and get another Non-o say from Lao to get the Visa? 

Now if this is correct, what country is friendly now with Non-o's and which one should they go to if what I wrote above is correct?

38 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

So it seems if they do this as a married couple and just put the 800K in the bank for the both of them (as a dependant), one of them is going to have still to apply for a Non-o out of the country (Lao or Malaysia). 

That is correct.

38 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

If this is so, would it not be better for the both of them just to do Non-o's out of the country? It seems not right for only for one of them getting a Non-o in Thailand if the other has to go out and get another Non-o say from Lao to get the Visa? 

Now if this is correct, what country is friendly now with Non-o's and which one should they go to if what I wrote above is correct?

I was waiting for you to reply to my post to suggest they both go out for non-o visas at the same time.

Savannakhet Laos or Penang Malaysia would be the best location. Both have the same requirements.

For the person applying for the extension it would be best to do the statutory declaration to prove the 65 baht income. If using the 800k baht income both locations want proof of retirement which is not needed if using income since that the proof of income meets proof of that.

Savannakhet may want to see proof of some money in a bank along with the income proof to apparently meet the standard equivalent 20k baht requirement to get a visa. A Australian bank statement would be accepted.

For the spouse not getting the extension just the marriage certificate would be enough.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If using the 800k baht income both locations want proof of retirement

What is proof of retirement? My parents are 77 and 75

They can do an Income Statement it's just timing things in Chiang Mai. 

Thanks for your help. I thought it was going to be easier than this for them.

5 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

What is proof of retirement? My parents are 77 and 75

They want something from a persons embassy. Some people have done a statement they were retired that was accepted. Others have gotten proof of income from the embassy showing a even a small amount of income.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They want something from a persons embassy. Some people have done a statement they were retired that was accepted. Others have gotten proof of income from the embassy showing a even a small amount of income.

Thank you. I understand perfectly. 

Once again, your help is endlessly apricated. 

Immigration bureau website at

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

says

5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
*(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or

5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application.

Can somebody please explain how that can be done on the same day. Most banks will open at 11. By the time I get the document it will be noon. I go to chaengwattana immigration around 1 PM. Where is the time to do on the same day? Is there any other way to do so?

And what evidence is required to show foreign currency fund transfer? Is the bank going to give a letter?

Edited by onera1961

6 hours ago, tgeezer said:

ผ = day (singular)

ผผ = days (plural)

Exert from  the link Joe posted in English.

1. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.

If only they understood the difference between singular and plural!

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In Australia they would not be able to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

The embassy or the official consulate in Sydney will only issue a OA visas and the honorary consulates are not allowed to issue the non-o visa as per a directive from the embassy.

Ok thanks. Do you know when they issue a new directive?

I ask only because an Aussie mate of mine received a Non Imm O ME from Brisbane early 2016, when he enquired about retiring to Thailand.

He was only 63, not married.

11 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Ok thanks. Do you know when they issue a new directive?

It was last year that the first reports of it were posted. They made the directive for no multiple entries at the honorary consulates around August of last year.

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was last year that the first reports of it were posted. They made the directive for no multiple entries at the honorary consulates around August of last year.

Any idea if they still issue a 90 day Non Imm O for retired persons.

No mention on the Canberra Embassy site for 'retirees' under Non Imm (excepting O-A), but their link to additional Visa information (MFA) suggests it's still possible to obtain a Non Imm for being elderly with the intention to retire..

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Any idea if they still issue a 90 day Non Imm O for retired persons.

Many people have tried and were told no at every location in Australia.

They might do one for a person who is not Australian and cannot get the OA visa there.

• Like 1