Suvarnabhumi Airport Aims for Top Spot in 2025 Rankings

top 50 should be achievable, it's not a great airport, but it's not bad. anyone who travels widely and regularly will know there are many far worse airports around the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

A proliferation of expensive shops does not a good airport make.

Decent seating for those having to wait a long time for a connection would make nice change.

And somewhere just to sit down and have a cup of tea/coffee would be nice, or maybe a beer.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

6e73cf5b4c3be7b1323d78c495a700c2.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) remains hopeful that by next year, Suvarnabhumi Airport will be among the world's top 50 airports. Consistent improvements to the airport's facilities and services over the last ten years have boosted its global rank from 68th in 2023 to 58th in 2024, according to the Skytrax World's Best Airports ranking.

AOT Director Kerati Kijmanawat notes that a significant contribution to this upgrade is the opening of the Midfield Satellite 1 terminal in September 2023. The new terminal boosted the airport's ability to handle annual passenger traffic to 60 million from the previous 45 million.

Kerati states that over the past year, efforts have concentrated on improving passenger services and trimming the waiting time at immigration and luggage checkpoints. To help achieve this, there are plans to roll out 80 "Auto Gate" kiosks in August. These kiosks use facial recognition technology to speed up the immigration process.

AOT also plans to increase the immigration officers' strength by nearly 200 and introduce CT scanners capable of detecting liquids in carry-on bags. This addition will increase the efficiency of security checkpoints. Further, the agency has urged airlines to open check-in counters at least four hours before departure to reduce the congestion in the departure lounge.

Top photo courtesy of NNT

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

They need to sort out the AC issues, whoever was awarded the tender for that underestimated it.

Its a horrible airport for bars and restaurants its all just little pokey things scattered around the place, there are no big enclosed decent bars anywhere they do have decent lounges but for general travelers its not the best, in my view the airport doesn't deserve any high ranking.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was in Hamad airport in Doha this week and Singapore Changi airport last month. In every single aspect related to an airport, they are better than BKK. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

a significant contribution to this upgrade is the opening of the Midfield Satellite 1 terminal in September 2023

Amazing how the soft opening of a concourse (NOT terminal) that very few passengers have used has caused the ranking to jump ten points. 

The new terminal boosted the airport's ability to handle annual passenger traffic to 60 million from the previous 45 million

Amazing how adding two dozen extra gates somehow increased passenger capacity by 33%, without any increase in immigration, security, check-in, or baggage handling capacity.

AOT also plans to increase the immigration officers' strength by nearly 200

Amazing how apparently AOT now has authority over police personnel matters.

15 hours ago, it is what it is said:

top 50 should be achievable, it's not a great airport, but it's not bad. anyone who travels widely and regularly will know there are many far worse airports around the world.

I'd like to know where MAN(chester UK) figures. It's dirty & full of disgruntled employees who vent their dissatisfaction on those who pay their wages.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

yes but what he really meant was    ''TOP SPOT in the worst airport rankings ''   

Your comment suggests that you are not a frequent flyer and that you do not have experience with more than a few airports in any given year at best.  Bangkok airport is one of the world's better airports.

11 hours ago, kickstart said:

And somewhere just to sit down and have a cup of tea/coffee would be nice, or maybe a beer.

You can do this in the new  Satellite terminal. It is everything you could ask for in a terminal.

46 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

They need to sort out the AC issues, whoever was awarded the tender for that underestimated it.

Its a horrible airport for bars and restaurants its all just little pokey things scattered around the place, there are no big enclosed decent bars anywhere they do have decent lounges but for general travelers its not the best, in my view the airport doesn't deserve any high ranking.

Bangkok is in a hot part of the world. The ambient temperature within the terminal is in the the mid 20's at worse and usually 23C away from the front doors. it is unreasonable to expect that the AOT should waste money and energy on offering refrigeration like temperatures in a climate where 35-40C+ is the norm. Most of the passengers don't want it cool.

40 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I was in Hamad airport in Doha this week and Singapore Changi airport last month. In every single aspect related to an airport, they are better than BKK. 

Hamad Airport has less passenger volume than Bangkok. And yes, it and Changi are nice, but the new Bangkok satellite is just as nice.

The AoT  initiated an long term plan of improvements. BKK is almost 20 years old and when it opened it was state of the art. The AoT has adopted a measured and orderly plan and the first stage was to get the new  Satellite terminal up and running. This will allow the airport to proceed with the 140 billion baht  addition  of " two new runways, a new terminal and the expansion of the existing passenger terminal"

5 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Amazing how the soft opening of a concourse (NOT terminal) that very few passengers have used has caused the ranking to jump ten points. 

Amazing how adding two dozen extra gates somehow increased passenger capacity by 33%, without any increase in immigration, security, check-in, or baggage handling capacity.

Amazing how apparently AOT now has authority over police personnel matters.

My last trip in and out of  BKK was a breeze. i cleared immigration in 10 minutes in the early morning and 15 minutes at peak departure mid morning. my baggage was at the  belt within 10 minutes of my getting there.  A large part of the problem are the passengers who are incapable of presenting their passports, or scanning their fingers or looking at a camera. Locals are quickly clearing through the  egates. Yes, at peak hours there is sometimes a bit of a delay, but it isn't that bad.

• Confused 1

Just came thru yesterday, I'm afraid it's got a lonnnngg way to go to acheive a top 50 ranking I think all the corruption and cheap materials during construction are catching up to it now. Some areas are pretty shocking!

On 5/2/2024 at 7:11 AM, DFPhuket said:

With Hamad recently pipping Changi to Skytrax's global #1 spot, this Einstein moment brought to you by @DFPhuket