Pocket wifi in Thailand?

asdfrules

How does pocket wifi work in Thailand?

Wifi in my room is crap. 

I want to use mobile data on my computer. 

I don't want to tether or hot-spot with my phone.

I want to use mobile data on a pocket wifi device instead.

Do you have to subscribe to a mobile data package specifically designed for pocket wifi?

Or can you just stick any sim card in there with any data package?

For example,

Here is a pocket wifi for about 1000 THB

AIS has an unlimited data package at 1 Mbps for 300 baht.  Can I just get something like that, stick the sim in the device and use it?

Yes, I will ask them about it.  But maybe they discourage will it, even if it is possible.  They don't like you using more bandwidth with a computer.

5a24fa9e77f51_AIS300.png.e9847ac7987617dccf3a1d36ec2bf00c.png

5a24fb4335b2d_Apocketwifi.png.3243982733d2bae11be01419cf88d3a7.png

1 minute ago, JamJar said:

No need for any special package. All packages are open to tethering or MiFi usage.

This is great news.  Thanks.

I think I'll just order the device online.  Test it with my current sim card.  Then get another sim card for it.

1 minute ago, JamJar said:

Currently DTAC is better as they will give you 2 Mbps for the price of 1 Mbps, for up to 60 days.

It is 321 baht, not 300 baht.

Yes, I have that package on my mobile right now.  Andwas struggled renewing it because it's 321, just like you said.  I had 300 credit and it won't work.

21 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Agree, spend a little more upfront: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=POCKET+WIFI+4G+UNLOCKED

Very helpful guys.  Okay so I'll buy one from that Lazada link, and make sure the device is 4G. 

Some of the listings say "4G LTE".  Is that gonna support regular 4G also?

36 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

If the hotspot is unlocked you can use any carrier/sim... but make sure your hotspot is capable of using the frequency that your carrier uses for high speed data...

I wouldn't buy a 3G hotspot - They are slow

Frequency meaning this ↓ ?

4G LTE band 1/3/7/8 (900/ 1800/2100/2600 MHz)

NETGEAR SIERRA 782S POCKET WIFI

I bought a Huawei E5787 4G Mobile WiFi earlier this year from Lazada, mainly for use when travelling, particularly when in the UK, but also as a backup Internet option here in Thailand. Just pop a data SIM in and away you go, can connect up to 10 devices, excellent battery life.

Options are to take an old phone with 4g enabled and use that to tether only

Or buy a wifi device. I've had success in the past with TotalAirCard.com they do usually stock the spare battery for their products.

http://www.totalaircard.com/products/HUAWEI-E5577C-4G-Mobile-WiFi-Black.html

Or try lazada. For these prices 3k+, maybe a budget smartphone (like samsung j2 +/prime) would work out better. Uninstall unnecessary apps and just use as hotspot. Bigger battery and could double as a backup phone/flashlight.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Last time I used them DTAC was offering 20mbps unlimited for 199THB every 7 days.

That's not 321 baht for 30 days, but 852 baht for up to 28 days. So we aren't discussing the same thing, as the OP is considering the 1 Mbps package for 321 baht every 30 days.

Though of course the 20 Mbps package is fine if you need the bandwidth and volume.

8 hours ago, asdfrules said:

Very helpful guys.  Okay so I'll buy one from that Lazada link, and make sure the device is 4G. 

Some of the listings say "4G LTE".  Is that gonna support regular 4G also?

Frequency meaning this ↓ ?

4G LTE band 1/3/7/8 (900/ 1800/2100/2600 MHz)

NETGEAR SIERRA 782S POCKET WIFI

That one seems a bit expensive.

https://www.lazada.co.th/huawei-e5573-322-4g-pocket-wifi-aisdtactrue-unlocked-white-11835119.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/huawei-e5573-4g-mobile-mifi-dongle-lte-wifi-router-pocket-wifi-aisdtactrue-unlocked-black-13318372.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/huawei-e5573-322-4g-pocket-wifi-aisdtactrue-unlocked-black-11664597.html

are cheaper, but have no connector for an external aerial. 

12 hours ago, JamJar said:

Though of course the 20 Mbps package is fine if you need the bandwidth and volume.

This was my point.  There is choice available.

The o/p does not specifically say that only a slow bandwidth cheap budget 3G is wanted. Indeed the o/p says wifi in room is not good, so maybe a higher bandwidth option is useful information and they can choose themself.

Most people tether their phones so aircards and such are in less demand here than in olden days.

There are a lot of pretty spiffy USB aircards which also provide WiFi, these are called "Wingles", and can be plugged in to a PC or even an AC adapter. You can even pop it into a USB adapter in a car, or a power brick. 

The Huawei E8372-608 is popular here, is un-locked, supports 3G/4G bands (900/1800/2100) and is available for ~ 1,500 - 1,800. This device also supports an external antenna connection.

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/mobile-broadband/e8372/

You can pretty much subscribe to any mobile data plan which suits your needs. Managing/monitoring the account usage/status may be a challenge, but you can always try using the device's UI, USSD, pop the SIM into a phone briefly, use web-based tools.

Edited by mtls2005

55 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Most people tether their phones so aircards and such are in less demand here than in olden days.

There are a lot of pretty spiffy USB aircards which also provide WiFi, these are called "Wingles", and can be plugged in to a PC or even an AC adapter. You can even pop it into a USB adapter in a car, or a power brick. 

The Huawei E8372-608 is popular here, is un-locked, supports 3G/4G bands (900/1800/2100) and is available for ~ 1,500 - 1,800. This device also supports an external antenna connection.

You can pretty much subscribe to any mobile data plan which suits your needs. Managing/monitoring the account usage/status may be a challenge, but you can always try using the device's UI, USSD, pop the SIM into a phone briefly, use web-based tools.

Both AIS and DTAC have pages that auto login when using their networks, so everything can be done without needing to put the SIM in a phone.

AIS: http://www.ais.co.th/eservice.html

DTAC: https://mydtac.co.th/esv/en/login?ref=remaining-balance

Truemove H; https://hlife.truecorp.co.th/otp?ln=en

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, those qualify as "web-based tools".

"web based tools" is a bit vague and not entirely useful. Why didn't you just post links to the pages rather than stating that managing the account being a challenge?

Most people know only of the "web based tools" that require you to utilise a One Time Password in order to log-in.

These pages should auto log-in.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Thanks for the information 

Any one know the difference between the  Huawei E8372-608  and the Huawei  E8372h-608  , it looks the same but seems to be cheaper ? 

3 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Any one know the difference between the  Huawei E8372-608  and the Huawei  E8372h-608  , it looks the same but seems to be cheaper ? 

Can you offer any detail on the price difference? The H variant could be a carrier-branded model, or perhaps it supports unique geo/regional frequencies.

It looks like the Huawei HiLink App (iPhone or Android) may be able to manage the account?

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Can you offer any detail on the price difference? The H variant could be a carrier-branded model, or perhaps it supports unique geo/regional frequencies.

It looks like the Huawei HiLink App (iPhone or Android) may be able to manage the account?

I spotted the Huawei  E8372h-608 on ebay for 412 Baht Free postage  (  New Unlocked Huawei E8372h-608 3G 4G LTE WIFI Router Car Wireless USB Dongle Modem ) . 

USB1.jpg

14 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

I spotted the Huawei  E8372h-608 on ebay for 412 Baht Free postage  (  New Unlocked Huawei E8372h-608 3G 4G LTE WIFI Router Car Wireless USB Dongle Modem ) . 

USB1.jpg

At that price, it makes sense. But of course delivery may take some time.

I'm not sure what the "Most people tether their phones" statement is based on (hard to say unless you actually know 'most' people or have some empirical evidence to support the statement), it depends on what you need it for.  Fact is, a tethered mobile phone will have a woefully slow transfer speed compared to a dedicated mobile broadband / wifi.  If you just want to browse the internet or read / reply emails a tethered phone would likely be OK.  Start watching videos or have a need to connect 2 or more devices and you'll likely hit a slow down.  The Huawei devices I have used have been great (I had an E5577 and now use an E5787 but use them a lot!) and I'd never go back to a tethered phone apart from the basic / casual use.

Edited by SooKee

55 minutes ago, SooKee said:

The Huawei devices I have used have been great (I had an E5577 and now use an E5787 but use them a lot!) and I'd never go back to a tethered phone apart from the basic / casual use.

+1

Wow you guys are awesome.  Thanks so much for all the help. 

The $15 eBay one is appealing compared to $100 ones.  I'd get it but the delivery time could be over a month.  Yikes.

JamJar you linked one that I liked around 1600 THB but some of the reviews said there was no charger or antenna slot, so I skipped it.

I ended up ordering the NetGear one for 2400.  A bit expensive, but oh well.

Thanks again ya'lls.  Can't wait to escape this crappy apartment wifi!

12 hours ago, asdfrules said:

Wow you guys are awesome.  Thanks so much for all the help. 

The $15 eBay one is appealing compared to $100 ones.  I'd get it but the delivery time could be over a month.  Yikes.

JamJar you linked one that I liked around 1600 THB but some of the reviews said there was no charger or antenna slot, so I skipped it.

I ended up ordering the NetGear one for 2400.  A bit expensive, but oh well.

Thanks again ya'lls.  Can't wait to escape this crappy apartment wifi!

Wasn't the best choice. They don't come with a charger because it is not necessary. They come with a USB lead terminating in a Micro USB connector. So you can charge it by plugging it into your laptop/PC or in your car or from your normal Android phone charger or .....

phone-charger-plugs-usb-charging-plug-us

Antenna is rarely needed. I've never used one.