Teacher vs Ex-cop - dispute over who owns the 30 million baht lottery ticket

webfact

Of course, both would be on to a winner if they compromised!

The only thing I can think is that the teacher did in fact buy the set of tickets, but didn't receive them in entirety, and the policeman later bought the ticket.

The legal situation if this were true, is that the ticket belongs to the teacher. But Thailand...you know!

No chance of the pair of them seeing sense I suppose.

On 06/12/2017 at 10:22 PM, madusa said:

You are right I think. The simple question is did that cop stole the ticket? If not then it belongs to the cop. If you dropped the ticket on the street and I picked it up then it belongs to me because the lottery office cannot be involved in who is the rightful owner. Not even in saying who bought which ticket, the vendor can only sell the ticket they can't go around saying anything else otherwise you could sue the lottery company.

I think the law is clear, the person holding the winning ticket is the rightful owner not unless you can prove he or she stole it from you.

Are you sure?  Maybe Thai law is different.  I thought the one who first bought the ticket is and remains the owner howsoever the second person comes by it. And I doubt there are special exclusions that apply to a lottery ticket, since the law is supreme.

Also, If you find something in the street it does not automatically belong to you. There was the case a few months ago where a woman found a telephone and refused to return it to the true owner.  I believe she was given an ultimatum to return it or face charges.

Enforcing entitlement is another matter as you rightly point out.

Edited by mommysboy

1 minute ago, Rhys said:

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.. .but we know the outcome...police do not lose or forget their money...

Indeed.  Ordinarily it would hinge on supporting evidence.  There seems little doubt that the teacher bought tickets from the vendor, and the vendor appears to support his claim.  But it is not hard evidence, as say a supporting receipt detailing the numbers would be. You would have thought the police officer would remember where he bought it.  I can't help but regard that as counting against him.