Britain has not formally assessed impact of Brexit on economy: Brexit minister

webfact

Farage was not joking.

He is a fundamentalist who wanted out. 

He won the vote, fair enough.

However if the people want another vote, then in a democracy you are entitled to one.

It's like voting for a govt, if it doesn't work out you can choose another one.

Can you answer a post without patronising. "Oh boo hoo, he fibbed too, Miss."

The people do not want another vote, the remainers want another vote, ie the minority.

Recent opinion polls have shown that there is a clear majority in favour of a referendum on the results of the Brexit negotiations.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is a sad, sad time for a once great country.

Britain is still a great country but like the USA it is being harmed by the people supposedly running it.  In fact there are a few similarities to the USA at the moment but I won't turn this into another groanathon.

I think that one of the biggest problems facing this Brexit fiasco is having a weak leader who has surrounded herself by arrogant prats who are incapable of delivering anything positive.  It is worse than embarrassing because it is also potentially very damaging.

51 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Can you answer a post without patronising. "Oh boo hoo, he fibbed too, Miss."

The people do not want another vote, the remainers want another vote, ie the minority.

Recent opinion polls have shown that there is a clear majority in favour of a referendum on the results of the Brexit negotiations.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Keep believing that bb and maybe you will sleep better at night, have you got any evidence to the fact?

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well I think that is sensible.  Let the negotiators try their best and then put it to the people (possibly through parliament) when we can accept or reject it.  However, what happens if/when it is rejected?  Scrap the negotiations and walk away or scrap Brexit completely? 

This remoaner has a question for the Brexit boys.  Do you think that the people should be allowed a voice over the negotiated deals or do you just want to go with whatever Davis and May decide?

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Firstly I did not intentionally edit your post, there was more to gain by leaving it in, I don't know what happened there.

You said 

"Surely the merry brexiteers are confident of winning it." Well I thought the brexiteers had already won it, do you honestly think that if the shoe was on the other foot the remainers would be saying to the brexiteers, go on then you can have another vote? Of course they wouldn't.

And that is exactly my point...I would not deny them the right to another vote.

It should not matter who won or lost, the right to call for another vote should not be denied, because one side lost or won first time round.

That is not democratic or acceptable in a democratic society.

As to your accidental edit...just didn't appear, eh.

Best get onto the site managers about that.

What would be the outcome of a second referendom

now that the outcome is seen and on paper   would people vote no or yes   

like many say here it is just the pocket filling for some then get out but leaving many in a ruin .

maybe it is time to re think and stay in europe 

would have been a big loss of money till now but in time think it will be better

border control is there anyway  was there last month took for ever to get in checking this and that so the border control is not an issue 

Fancy having David Davis as PM instead of Theresa May?  I would say that that beggars belief but......

According to IBT:

"Allies of Brexit secretary David Davis think Theresa May could be gone as leader by Christmas as her struggles with European Union negotiations continue, it has been reported.

Former chief whip Andrew Mitchell is said to be organising drinks evenings with a new generation of Tory MPs and plotting to replace the prime minister with David Davis."  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

6 hours ago, Orac said:

5th largest economy- you are a bit out of date with that.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/22/news/economy/uk-france-biggest-economies-in-the-world/index.html

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As a remainer, I’m sure your happy with that news. Any excuse to knock your own country, while forgetting this news takes place while the U.K. is still tied to the E.zu.

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I particularly like the way anyone who even hints at calling for another vote [not that I have] is called an enemy of democracy.

Yeah, voting, the beast that stalks and destroys any democratic system...

If the cap fits,wear it.

071E3FBB-BE41-495E-ACB7-A5BEA7FE8A7B.jpeg

As a remainer, I’m sure your happy with that news. Any excuse to knock your own country, while forgetting this news takes place while the U.K. is still tied to the E.zu.

Not happy at all actually.

I was just pointing out a factual error in a previous post so not sure how pointing out something announced by the Chancellor in his recent budget speech could be described as “knocking my own country”.

Maybe I can suggest you take the opportunity of the time of year to include a request in your letter to Santa for a thicker pair of rose-coloured glasses to block out these nasty facts that so offend you.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

40 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Read the article:

"The slide reflects a sharp deceleration in Britain's economic growth since it voted to leave the European Union in June 2016. The pound has weakened dramatically, consumer spending has slowed and prices have spiked."

Nothing new with that statement but I am sure the Brexiteers will be crying "Fake News".  Things may improve once the so called negotiators have struck a deal, but only if there is a significant trade agreement.  Given that we won't be told that until 2019 I would think that we will continue to stumble along losing more and more businesses until then.  

"It is unbelievable that these long-trumpeted impact assessments don't even exist, meaning the government has no idea what their Brexit plans will do to the country."

As a taxpayer, one wonders for what these people are actually being paid for. Amateurs  who gamble with billions, but have not done their homework. In a company of the free economy such a manager would not even survive the probationary period.

8 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I am beginning to wonder how all the "remainers" who are constantly criticising the UK Government (often in very rude terms regarding their negotiating skills, will have to say when TM emerges with a reasonable trade deal acceptable to both sides? It is quite clear that such a deal is necessary for both the UK and the EU and that a compromise on all outstanding points will eventually be reached.

Most "remainers" appear to suggest that Theresa May should have put all her negotiating cards on the table on day one, firstly by offering at least the requested 60 Billion Euros and then by allowing the European Courts to have unprecedented jurisdiction over another sovereign country regarding EU citizens living there.  Anyone who has ever been involved in negotiations of any kind (even, for example, in buying a house), let alone any major business transaction, will understand that they involve a certain amount of give and take and no one party holds all the cards, even when they believe they do. Mrs May was perfectly correct in suggesting at the outset that, rather than accepting any poor deal the EU might condescend to offer the UK, she would be prepared to walk away.  

The UK had a perfect right to decide whether or not it wanted to remain in the EU, which appears to be heading ever closer towards a United States of Europe.  Britain made that decision knowing that, at least for a certain amount of time, there could well be economic consequences, but, as serious disputes taking place all over the world demonstrate, they are not always about money.  When the EU pretends that the 27 nations are "as one" they are deluding themselves, since there are several member nations with substantial numbers of voters who admire the UK for the decision it has taken and if the EU take their (particularly Macron's) "integration" plans too far, may decide to follow suit and opt to leave. 

To those who have suggested that Great Britain is no longer of any consequence in the world and should be renamed "Little Britain", I would remind them that it is (with only a population of 67 million) still the 5th largest world economy and will remain there or thereabouts after Brexit, despite all the false predictions of virtual bankruptcy.    

6th and dropping

11 hours ago, the guest said:

The fact that the UK voted for Brexit, really demonstrates how out of touch the country is with regards to the EU. So they believed a story line from the Conservatives, which has no credibility, nor did they take the time to find out the advantages of being in the EU. 

UK still has a little Island mentality, and still thinks it's 'great', when in fact it should be called 'little britain'. I believe it's panicking, as they know the outcome to a 'hard' BREXIT will have serious consequences.

Personally, I think it would be better for the country to have a second referendum, and this time outlining the true facts, not idle dribble!

Everyone already had 43 years to experience your so-called advantages. And the majority of voters obviously were not that impressed.

23 minutes ago, Grouse said:

6th and dropping

Indeed.   But as retiredandhappyhere is retired and happy in Thailand I doubt he cares that much.

26 minutes ago, Grouse said:

retiredandhappyhere said:

I am beginning to wonder how all the "remainers" who are constantly criticising the UK Government (often in very rude terms regarding their negotiating skills, will have to say when TM emerges with a reasonable trade deal acceptable to both sides? It is quite clear that such a deal is necessary for both the UK and the EU and that a compromise on all outstanding points will eventually be reached.

I for one will eat my hat.  So far though all she seems to have done is pledge £50 billion whether we get a trade deal or not, have cut and pasted the EU laws into English law, accepted the EU's terms for citizens rights and failed to seal a deal over the Irish border.  Forgive me if I don't share his optimism of "a reasonable trade deal acceptable to both sides".

12 hours ago, emilymat said:

I've followed Brexit very closely and watched most of the debates etc on BBC Parliament. I simply cannot believe the inflexibility of May and the arrogance of Davies in the way they are treating the future of this country.

I've avoided comment on Brexit, as experience leads me to believe that if you voted 'remain' and still believe this is/was the best way, then you are an enemy of democracy. The answer I always get is 'you can't accept the will of the country', ignoring the fact that around 48% are deemed ignorant.

No-one will ever persuade me that Brexit is good for the UK. I've tried to reconcile my views with the need for 'us all to pull together for the best deal' etc. etc.  The fact is, it's all about individual political careers as the vultures circle the May corpse. Nothing to do with what is best for the country.

May and Davies are spectacularly out of their depth. Their government, MPs and political party are far from being united and have several agendas being actively pursued.

And in all this, they now show themselves to be totally inept and having no concerns about anything but themselves. 

And sadly, there's no viable constructive opposition with balls enough to say 'enough is enough". 

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

May and Davies are spectacularly out of their depth. Their government, MPs and political party are far from being united and have several agendas being actively pursued.

And in all this, they now show themselves to be totally inept and having no concerns about anything but themselves. 

And sadly, there's no viable constructive opposition with balls enough to say 'enough is enough". 

Agreed. Your last  sentence is so correct. I've voted labour all my life but cannot believe the current front bench have any more chance of resolving all these issues.  What a choice!  The fact is, Labour could have won that election earlier this year with a different team.

11 minutes ago, emilymat said:

Agreed. Your last  sentence is so correct. I've voted labour all my life but cannot believe the current front bench have any more chance of resolving all these issues.  What a choice!  The fact is, Labour could have won that election earlier this year with a different team.

I doubt a different Labour team would have offered a Mickey Mouse manifesto like Corbyn, the young thought they were getting something for nothing, they never even thought that what ever he gave them they would be paying back for the next 30 years. I have nothing againgst Labour but this lot is dangerous.