Getting a Visa Extension - Today's Experience in Jontien

HI all, thought I would share my experience today, for the information of others.

I hold a Non O based on marriage. It was issued in May this year in London  I entered for the first time in  June.  After the first 90 days, I did a  3 day trip by air out of the country and on my return I got another 90 days.  That 90 days was due to end next week, so I decided to get an extension in the Pattaya office.  Reading  all the stories of other experiences, I  clearly arrived at the office way over prepared. I arrived at 9am this morning with loads of photo copies of all my passport details etc, but none of it was required.   I took a number, sat for around 15 minutes, was called to the desk and the lady there fixed the necessary certificate into my passport giving me another 90 days in country.  Could not have been easier and nothing was required  other than my passport, arrival card and the proof of residency certificate in the back of the passport . 

The next challenge is to wait until March next year, when the 90 days runs out,  and then get an extension of stay, as opposed to renewing the visa. No doubt that will be another experience all together. However, I am not as concerned as I was that I will need an agent, or that I will encounter any insurmountable bear traps. 

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I took a number, sat for around 15 minutes, was called to the desk and the lady there fixed the necessary certificate into my passport giving me another 90 days in country. 

That seems to be a 90 day report they did in error not a extension.

An extension would be a stamp in your passport stating your permit to stay had been extended.

• Like 1

Hmmm Sure you are not talking about something else here.. For you holding a multiple non immigrant O based on marriage, you should exit Thailand in order to get the new 90 days,, they are not to be found in any immigration-office inside Thailand.

But maybe I missed something here..

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

39 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

the lady there fixed the necessary certificate into my passport giving me another 90 days in country.

Oh dear, as stated already, this is almost certainly a 90 day report that has been done in error.

If it was an extension of stay based on visiting your wife, then the extension would have been for 60 days only and this would have been physically stamped in your passport with the date it is extended to, not a paper placed in your passport.

They would have also required photos, copies of passport, the filled out extension application form and taken 1,900 THB off you.

If I was you I'd go back to them as soon as you can and definitely before next week when your original permission to stay ends, explain exactly what it is you need and make sure they get it right, if you don't then there is every chance of being banned from entering Thailand for a year if you wait the full 90 days without leaving Thailand.

21 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Oh dear, as stated already, this is almost certainly a 90 day report that has been done in error.

If it was an extension of stay based on visiting your wife, then the extension would have been for 60 days only and this would have been physically stamped in your passport with the date it is extended to, not a paper placed in your passport.

They would have also required photos, copies of passport, the filled out extension application form and taken 1,900 THB off you.

If I was you I'd go back to them as soon as you can and definitely before next week when your original permission to stay ends, explain exactly what it is you need and make sure they get it right, if you don't then there is every chance of being banned from entering Thailand for a year if you wait the full 90 days without leaving Thailand.

Sounds like it was an error. I'm' glad I brought it up here.  many thanks  to you all.  I will go back tomorrow.  I thought it was all too easy!!

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Sounds like it was an error. I'm' glad I brought it up here.  many thanks  to you all.  I will go back tomorrow.  I thought it was all too easy!!

It is really good that you shared it, otherwise you may well have ended up on a long overstay, make sure you make it clear that you want to apply for an extension of your current stay to visit your wife, this will be for an additional 60 days.

Note that your wife must go with you, complete with her ID card and Tabien Baan, plus your marriage certificate.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

It is really good that you shared it, otherwise you may well have ended up on a long overstay, make sure you make it clear that you want to apply for an extension of your current stay to visit your wife, this will be for an additional 60 days.

Note that your wife must go with you, complete with her ID card and Tabien Baan, plus your marriage certificate.

sorry chaps another question so that I am clear. The blue coloured certificate that is titled 'Receipt of Notification' she fixed in the passport says that I  have notified an intention to stay in the Kingdom for another 90 days, until 6th March next year. It specially states on that certificate that it is not an extension of stay but a notification  of stay, whatever the difference is??  

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It specially states on that certificate that it is not an extension of stay but a notification  of stay, whatever the difference is??  

The 90 day report is a notification of staying over 90 days in the country. In order to stay longer than 90 days you must have a permit to stay longer than that.

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

sorry chaps another question so that I am clear. The blue coloured certificate that is titled 'Receipt of Notification' she fixed in the passport says that I  have notified an intention to stay in the Kingdom for another 90 days, until 6th March next year. It specially states on that certificate that it is not an extension of stay but a notification  of stay, whatever the difference is??  

Yes, it is commonly known as a 90 day report, which is required if you are on a long term extension of stay (usually 12 months and for whatever reason) and have resided in the country for 90 continuous days.

In your case you were only permitted to stay in the country for 90 days, so therefore should exit the country at the end of this 90 days and reenter.

When you go to straighten it out tomorrow and apply for the 60 day extension, then the fact you will have extended your stay also means that you have reported the 90 days at the same time.

You are only allowed one 60 day extension per entry, so at the end of the 60 days you will have to depart.

52 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Yes, it is commonly known as a 90 day report, which is required if you are on a long term extension of stay (usually 12 months and for whatever reason) and have resided in the country for 90 continuous days.

In your case you were only permitted to stay in the country for 90 days, so therefore should exit the country at the end of this 90 days and reenter.

When you go to straighten it out tomorrow and apply for the 60 day extension, then the fact you will have extended your stay also means that you have reported the 90 days at the same time.

You are only allowed one 60 day extension per entry, so at the end of the 60 days you will have to depart.

Thanks you all, I am very grateful for your advice.  I will go tomorrow and report back.

In retrospect It was a combined error on my part and on my wife's part.  I didn't explain to my wife well enough what was required and therefore she asked the wrong question  of the lady on the reception desk.  I hope others will benefit from this cock up. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Thanks you all, I am very grateful for your advice.  I will go tomorrow and report back.

In retrospect It was a combined error on my part and on my wife's part.  I didn't explain to my wife well enough what was required and therefore she asked the wrong question  of the lady on the reception desk.  I hope others will benefit from this cock up. 

If you are in a rental, be sure and bring signed-copies (by him) of the Landlord's ID Card, the Landlord's House-Book, and the House-Book of where you live, plus proof the landlord is the owner of the condo.  Also needed, a copy of your lease/rental agreement. 

All this paperwork is required in Jomtien by the "family extensions" desk for a 60-day "visit wife" extension, or a 1-year "support wife" extension.  Not to be confused with the overlapping documents which you may have supplied for a TM-30 report, the receipt of which I think you are describing as stapled in the back of your passport.

Also, unlike some offices (as reported by others), they do not want copies of every page of your passport with a Thai stamp on it - only the Photo-page, most recent Visa page, TM-6, and page with the most recent entry-stamp (same for both the 60-day or 1-year extension).

14 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you are in a rental, be sure and bring signed-copies (by him) of the Landlord's ID Card, the Landlord's House-Book, and the House-Book of where you live, plus proof the landlord is the owner of the condo.  Also needed, a copy of your lease/rental agreement. 

All this paperwork is required in Jomtien by the "family extensions" desk for a 60-day "visit wife" extension, or a 1-year "support wife" extension.  Not to be confused with the overlapping documents which you may have supplied for a TM-30 report, the receipt of which I think you are describing as stapled in the back of your passport.

Also, unlike some offices (as reported by others), they do not want copies of every page of your passport with a Thai stamp on it - only the Photo-page, most recent Visa page, TM-6, and page with the most recent entry-stamp (same for both the 60-day or 1-year extension).

Its all academic now.  The officer refused to issue a 60 day stamp, saying its not possible. No doubt making it up as he goes along. So I have to leave and re enter to get 90 days . Ah well, a weekend in Singapore isn't all bad. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Its all academic now.  The officer refused to issue a 60 day stamp, saying its not possible. No doubt making it up as he goes along. So I have to leave and re enter to get 90 days . Ah well, a weekend in Singapore isn't all bad. 

Perhaps they did not understand what you wanted. You are certainly allowed to get a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

It is here on immigration website and can be changed to Thai by selecting it at the top of the page. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That is strange, I assume that you have not extended this 90 day entry by 60 days until today?

If not, then you are certainly allowed to get this extension, or at the very least 7 days additional due to the refusal of the extension.

Sounds to me like either the IO did not get what it is you requested, or is just too lazy to be bothered!

Edited by Mattd

13 minutes ago, Mattd said:

That is strange, I assume that you have not extended this 90 day entry by 60 days until today?

If not, then you are certainly allowed to get this extension, or at the very least 7 days additional due to the refusal of the extension.

Sounds to me like either the IO did not get what it is you requested, or is just too lazy to be bothered!

no i had not extended before, he was a quite dismissive individual who just seems to have got out the wrong side of his bed this morning.  I couldn't  be bothered to argue the toss. 

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps they did not understand what you wanted. You are certainly allowed to get a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

It is here on immigration website and can be changed to Thai by selecting it at the top of the page. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24

we showed him the competed  form and the copy paperwork  so there should have been no doubt what we were asking for.  His English was okay he just said it was not possible and turned away. 

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

we showed him the competed  form and the copy paperwork  so there should have been no doubt what we were asking for.  His English was okay he just said it was not possible and turned away. 

Just for the record, was this at the front-desk, or at the family-desk (600s que-number)? 

32 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Just for the record, was this at the front-desk, or at the family-desk (600s que-number)? 

Front desk, some chap with three stars on his shoulder.  Seemed to be calling the shots at 8am 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Front desk, some chap with three stars on his shoulder.  Seemed to be calling the shots at 8am 

If you can possibly get the younger staff at the front desk, it can be better.

I do not understand why you were turned away.