Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current dictatorship is again making themselves look just as bad if not worse than Thaksin.

The interview wouldn't have mattered....censoring the media does.

The people are not stupid. Obviously the current dictators think the people can be made to think the way they want.

The people will not stand for it.

It seems to me, these guys are digging deeper and deeper holes they soon wont be able to climb out of.

Return the power to a fairly elected government. Request international vote monitoring to prevent corruption. Return Thailand to it's people.

Well, I think the idea of having a fair election in the first place is a good idea. When one person has enough money to buy as many votes as he wants, to bribe popular MP's to join his party then it is hardly a fair election, is it?

I don't understand people who continually harp on the idea that Thaksin was elected fairly. Rampant vote buying does not constitute a fair election in my book.

As for shuttering the media, well, I disagree with it but don't see how my complaining about it on a forum for expats will do anything about it.

Well, I think the idea of having a fair election in the first place is a good idea. When one person has enough money to buy as many votes as he wants, to bribe popular MP's to join his party then it is hardly a fair election, is it?

I don't understand people who continually harp on the idea that Thaksin was elected fairly. Rampant vote buying does not constitute a fair election in my book.

As for shuttering the media, well, I disagree with it but don't see how my complaining about it on a forum for expats will do anything about it.

I think most people are aware that Thai democracy is at an early stage, and that elections are not necessarily as transparent as we would like.However most observers including respected international bodies felt that Thailand's elections were reasonably fair.It is inaccurate to put down TRT's success just to vote buying.Thaksin had a popular mandate.The current illegal and incompetent junta has none.

On your last paragraph you have an excellent point.It causes me some amusement to see the passion shown by forum members, whether anti Thaksin or not.( There isn't really a pro-Thaksin camp).But as you say blowing into the wind on an expatriate forum is not really productive.And in case anyone accuses me of hypocrisy, I'm well aware I am equally guilty!

The current dictatorship is again making themselves look just as bad if not worse than Thaksin.

The interview wouldn't have mattered....censoring the media does.

The people are not stupid. Obviously the current dictators think the people can be made to think the way they want.

The people will not stand for it.

It seems to me, these guys are digging deeper and deeper holes they soon wont be able to climb out of.

Return the power to a fairly elected government. Request international vote monitoring to prevent corruption. Return Thailand to it's people.

I hate to pop your bubble here but let me add some food for thought.

If a person has a low level of education they have few things they can draw on to challenge and test what an educated person has to say. As a result they just tent to accept it. Thaksin’s power was from people with lower education who were easily deceive. The word here is propaganda. Thaksin’s little x sign (post 92) ( that looks like a modified swastika) was simple censorship so if he can dish it out he should be able to take it too.

Thaksin's preferred method of interacting with the media:

_40726656_cross203.jpg

To a media question he didn't like, Mr Thaksin held up a cross sign.

BBC

Unconfirmed, I just heard reports that Saudi banned the letter "X" because it represents the Christian cross. Well, there goes e*cellent, *ylophone, *ero*, e*trordinary, deus e* machina, e*husband...oh, e*husband, that's really bad.

The opposition candidates were not buying votes?

The opposition candidates were not buying votes?

That's what my wife said to me. :o

Foreign Ministry summons Singapore ambassador over ousted PM Thaksin's visit

Foreign Ministry has summoned Singapore's ambassador to discuss why ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was granted meetings with officials during a visit to the island nation. Because he want to be private like he says.

Thaksin met recently with Singaporean Deputy Prime Minister S Jayakumar during one of many trips he has taken to Asian countries since being ousted from power in September last year.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Kitti Wasinondh confirmed the meeting between the Singaporean ambassador and Permanent Secretary to Foreign Ministry Grit Ganjanagunchorn at 9.30am.

Kitti quoted Grit as "expressing concerns over recent situation in Singapore." He gave no further details.

Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram will give a press briefing about the meeting after the cabinet meeting Tuesday afternoon, the spokesman said.

In the CNN interview broadcast on Monday, Thaksin said he decided to retire from political arena. "Enough is enough. It was time to "contribute to the Thai society outside the political arena.

Associated Press reported that a CNN interview with Thaksin broadcast elsewhere Monday evening was not shown in Thailand.

Cable TV provider UBC decided ``not to broadcast the interview'' and instead repeated an earlier program, said a UBC official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject. The official said there had been no particular order from coup leaders not to air the interview.

CNN representatives in Bangkok could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Nation

If his intent was to unite Thailand I would agree with you, but it is not. He is totally self serving and it is good that it was blocked as for sure he would have pissed a lot of people off again by putting them down again. I agree with the call to block him.

By your reasoning, the CNS should also be banned from public broadcasts. It is debatable whether their intent is to unite Thailand or not.

I am not a fan of Thaksin at all. But that does not mean that he should be censored in Thailand. Censorship is practiced by those who believe they are morally better than the people they claim to be protecting.

then lets do away with all forms of censorship and let all people including children watch whatever they wish......

like hel_l. You can see what the violent video games are doing to them.

A coward. Will do an interview with CNN outside the country while he only accepted an interview here ONCE with Sorayud, a partisan. Never agreed to a live debate, unless it was behind closed doors.

Rubbish.

He did already several short interviews with CNN before his ouster. One was just before his speach at Sanam Luang. And before anyone here against comes up with the ludicrous notion that he paid CNN for interviewing him - CNN have also interviewed Sondhi Limthongkul at that time.

At least stay with the facts, please, before rumor and gossip gets established as fact.

If his intent was to unite Thailand I would agree with you, but it is not. He is totally self serving and it is good that it was blocked as for sure he would have pissed a lot of people off again by putting them down again. I agree with the call to block him.

By your reasoning, the CNS should also be banned from public broadcasts. It is debatable whether their intent is to unite Thailand or not.

I am not a fan of Thaksin at all. But that does not mean that he should be censored in Thailand. Censorship is practiced by those who believe they are morally better than the people they claim to be protecting.

then lets do away with all forms of censorship and let all people including children watch whatever they wish......

like hel_l. You can see what the violent video games are doing to them.

I think the kiwi all-black haka should be censored, especially the throat cutting bit at the end. :o

Foreign Ministry has summoned Singapore's ambassador to discuss why ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was granted meetings with officials during a visit to the island nation. Because he want to be private like he says.

Thaksin met recently with Singaporean Deputy Prime Minister S Jayakumar during one of many trips he has taken to Asian countries since being ousted from power in September last year.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Kitti Wasinondh confirmed the meeting between the Singaporean ambassador and Permanent Secretary to Foreign Ministry Grit Ganjanagunchorn at 9.30am.

Kitti quoted Grit as "expressing concerns over recent situation in Singapore." He gave no further details.

Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram will give a press briefing about the meeting after the cabinet meeting Tuesday afternoon, the spokesman said.

In the CNN interview broadcast on Monday, Thaksin said he decided to retire from political arena. "Enough is enough. It was time to "contribute to the Thai society outside the political arena.

Associated Press reported that a CNN interview with Thaksin broadcast elsewhere Monday evening was not shown in Thailand.

Cable TV provider UBC decided ``not to broadcast the interview'' and instead repeated an earlier program, said a UBC official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject. The official said there had been no particular order from coup leaders not to air the interview.

The Nation

These boys are running scared.Does anybody really think that the Singpore Govt. gives a shit about Thailand after what has been done to their investment arm.Does the government really think that that Singapore needs their permission.What a joke. :o

The Nation

These boys are running scared.Does anybody really think that the Singpore Govt. gives a shit about Thailand after what has been done to their investment arm.Does the government really think that that Singapore needs their permission.What a joke. :o

I read it is if Thaksin wants to be out of politics what is he doing meeting with them as if he was still PM. Ask yourself how easy is it for the average guy to get a one on one meeting with a politician. By meeting with Thaksin it has the appearance of ignoring that he is not a diplomat any longer and blowing off Thailand.

This is just another piece of evidence that Thaksin continues to lie about his intent, and now officials in Singapore who want to keep relationships going with Thailand must explain why they are meeting with Thaksin who has no business meeting with upper government. Looks like another dance with the devil.

I read it is if Thaksin wants to be out of politics what is he doing meeting with them as if he was still PM. Ask yourself how easy is it for the average guy to get a one on one meeting with a politician. By meeting with Thaksin it has the appearance of ignoring that he is not a diplomat any longer and blowing off Thailand.

This is just another piece of evidence that Thaksin continues to lie about his intent, and now officials in Singapore who want to keep relationships going with Thailand must explain why they are meeting with Thaksin who has no business meeting with upper government. Looks like another dance with the devil.

Thaksin sold his shares to the Singapore Government.It has turned into a shambles for them.Do you think that they might just be a little bit interested in talking to him.Strewth! :o

A coward. Will do an interview with CNN outside the country while he only accepted an interview here ONCE with Sorayud, a partisan. Never agreed to a live debate, unless it was behind closed doors.

Rubbish.

He did already several short interviews with CNN before his ouster. One was just before his speach at Sanam Luang. And before anyone here against comes up with the ludicrous notion that he paid CNN for interviewing him - CNN have also interviewed Sondhi Limthongkul at that time.

At least stay with the facts, please, before rumor and gossip gets established as fact.

Some other factual CNN & Thaksin interludes (courtesy of cnn.com):

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- May 4, 2001

If found guilty by the Constitutional Court, Thaksin could be disqualified from holding political office for five years.

He said he would accept the verdict of the court and if required to step down from the prime minister's post he would do so.

But in a statement likely to prove controversial in Thailand, he said if he did have to give up the PM's office he would remain leader of the Thai Rak Thai party which heads the current government.

"I'm not going to hold any office," he said if the verdict goes against him. "I just give advice for the sake of the country, not for myself, OK? I will use my brain, my experience to help my Thai citizen(s) to get out of poverty."

---------------------------------------------------------

He definitely tries to show he has a terrific sense of humor, if nothing else.

Certainly was a harbinger of things to come over the next 5 years.

======================================================================

Thaksin on CNN - March 13, 2006

Interviewer Mike Chinoy: Who is showing up at the anti-Thaksin rallies?"

Thaksin: Some are from two companies who oppose me, some recruited by politicians, some just want to see, some convinced by one sided arguments.

Mike Chinoy: You never met anyone from Tamasek to discuss it [the deal to sell Shin Corp]?

Thaksin: No.

-------------------------------------------------------

yeah, right... :o

... this is not Myanmar, this is not China.
Once again, TIT.

One may argue about positive or negative aspects of the last coup d'état, which government was more or less corrupt, but... unless, the values of democracy are still intact, imposing a censorship on media (CNN and others) is definitely wrong!

As far as I understand, this topic is to debate the dictatorship versus the Thai democracy, isn't it.

Censorship - Not only the UBC blocked off the interview, but the CNN website was shut off as well. Who ordered that?

Well, I think the idea of having a fair election in the first place is a good idea.
It seems that today, to win an elections and to become PM again, if allowed to participate, Thaksin wouldn't need to buy votes.

Is there something else, rather than just dictatorship and democracy?

Thaksin sold his shares to the Singapore Government.It has turned into a shambles for them.Do you think that they might just be a little bit interested in talking to him.Strewth! :o

So please convince me that some place in that conversation Thaksin did not say “if you help me get back in I will fix everything!

But between the above CNN interview and

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1079196

one is left with the impression that he wasn't involved with the sale at all and thus would know nothing about it...

It was all done by his wife's secretary...

If the Singapore Government wished to talk to someone about the deal going sour, they should speak to her.

It seems that today, to win an elections and to become PM again, if allowed to participate, Thaksin wouldn't need to buy votes.

He would, however, need to go back on his word that he is finished with politics and will not run for any office...

And Thaksin has never gone back on his promises.

The man is full of lies deceptions and power plays. The best advise that can be given is stay away from him and ignore him.

Hopefully the outcome will be people in any government will simply stay away from him as he is turning into a poison pill for them. :o

Then Thaksin can get on with his private life that he wants :D without being bothered by all those pesky politicians.

January 16, 2007 WALL STREET JOURNAL

Thaksin Slams Thai Policies

Ex-Premier Says

Confidence Falling

In Economic Team

By JAMES HOOKWAY

January 16, 2007; Page A8

Four months after he was ousted in a coup, former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra broke his silence, asserting that new policies announced by the military-installed government that replaced him are undermining confidence in the Thai economy.

In a wide-ranging exclusive interview with The Wall Street Journal yesterday, Mr. Thaksin also alleged that the Thai military had been trying to remove him from power since December 2005 and that unnamed members of Thailand's armed forces tried to assassinate him at least three times before the coup.

The former premier, overthrown on Sept. 19 in a coup that ended 15 years of democratic rule in Thailand, criticized the current government's steps to introduce capital controls and limit foreign shareholdings in some Thai businesses.

"Whether we like it or not, we have to live under a capitalist system," said Mr. Thaksin, a telecommunications billionaire-turned-politician who led Thailand from 2001 until the coup. "And to live in it successfully, we have to open up our economy and our society. Competition is unavoidable, so we have to prepare for it."

When Thailand's armed forces seized power, many Thais were hopeful the economy would calmly ride out the first coup since 1991. The country had been paralyzed for much of 2006 by large demonstrations accusing Mr. Thaksin of autocratic behavior and corruption. Mr. Thaksin, now in exile, hasn't been formally accused of any crime, but a special military-appointed panel is examining whether there is sufficient evidence to charge him with wrongdoing.

The generals who staged the coup appointed a team of seasoned technocrats to guide economic policy. The key economic minister had previously headed the central bank, while other top policy makers were plucked from Thailand's leading commercial banks.

But instead of plotting a smooth course for the Thai economy, one of Southeast Asia's largest, the new government has altered the investor-friendly climate nurtured by Mr. Thaksin.

'WE HAVE TASTED DEMOCRACY'

The result is rising concern among both local and foreign businesses and investors about Thailand's viability as a key Asian hub for foreign investment.

With the stock market down 10% since the December announcement of the capital controls on short-term foreign investments, some middle-class Thais who had applauded the coup are fuming. Some international investors, who were mostly blasé about the army's intervention, are now hoping a democratically elected government can return soon.

While Mr. Thaksin indulged in populist rhetoric, he was careful to court foreign investment. With China, India and even Vietnam taking up larger shares of investment in Asia, he believed Thailand couldn't afford to be seen as protectionist. At the time Mr. Thaksin was ousted, Thailand was trying to negotiate a free-trade agreement with the U.S. and had another such deal with Japan pending final approval by Parliament. The new government doesn't express strong support for foreign investment's role in the economy.

In particular, its fumbled effort to impose capital controls on short-term foreign-investment flows has drawn fire. Designed to halt an inflow of speculative money that was driving up the value of the Thai currency to levels that threatened the competitiveness of its exports, the central bank in mid-December announced it would require foreign investors to deposit 30% of the money they bring into the country in noninterest-bearing accounts at the central bank. Analysts said the move was effectively a tax on foreign investment.

While the measures helped stall the baht's rise, they also triggered a stampede out of the stock market. On the first day after the investment controls were introduced, the main stock-market index fell 15% -- forcing the government to quickly exempt investments destined for the stock market from the rules.

Mr. Thaksin, in Singapore yesterday, said the "180 degree about-turn" had "destroyed confidence" among investors.

Describing the coup in depth for the first time since he was ousted, Mr. Thaksin alleged that members of the Thai military and a shadowy group he described as "the old elite" had been conspiring to oust him since late 2005.

He also alleged there were three attempts to assassinate him in August before a group of generals removed him from office while he was visiting the United Nations in September. Without offering names or evidence, Mr. Thaksin alleged that military personnel were behind the assassination attempts.

Thai authorities are investigating the third alleged attempt on his life, in which a large car bomb was found near his home on Aug. 24 but didn't explode.

Mr. Thaksin said he decided to end his silence after several Thai military officers suggested his followers may have planted a series of bombs that exploded in Bangkok on New Year's Eve, killing three people.

He denied any involvement. "They were pointing the finger at me, so I thought it was now time to talk," he said.

Write to James Hookway at [email protected]

January 15, 2007 12:56 p.m. EST

________________________________________________________________________________

_

Excerpts From Thaksin Shinawatra Interview

January 15, 2007 12:56 p.m.

Excerpts from Wall Street Journal reporter James Hookway's Jan. 15 interview with Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister of Thailand who was ousted in a military coup last September. Among other topics, the telecommunications billionaire discussed a series of bombings in Bangkok on New Year's Eve which killed three people; the Thai government's controversial economic policies which involved controlling the flow of foreign investment into Thailand; and his own political future.

Wall Street Journal: Why did you decide to start speaking with the press now?

Thaksin Shinawatra: I have been silent for 100 days about the coup to allow [the new government] to work. I know that running a country is difficult so I want them to be able to concentrate, and so they don't have to worry about me. But after 100 days, the situation relating to the bomb on the eve of the New Year, they pointed a finger at me, so I think it is time that I talk. Actually, I don't want to talk. I want to spend my life as a private citizen and I don't want to get involved in politics. But when they make allegations against me, I have to explain.

WSJ: Do you have information about what may have happened?

Mr. Thaksin: If [the politicians] let the police do their work according the theory of evidence, then we might have some clue [about who was responsible]. But it's covered up somehow. I would also like to express my sympathy for those people who lost their loved ones. Those responsible must be brought to justice and condemned.

WSJ: Do you think the Thai people will ever find out who was responsible for the New Year's Eve bombings?

Mr. Thaksin: The government should try to find out who was responsible as soon as possible, otherwise the people might think it was the work of [innocent people].

WSJ: Were you involved in the bombings?

Mr. Thaksin: No. I'm not that kind of person. I owe a debt of gratitude to the Thai people because they voted for me, they put me in office and I did a lot of good things for them and they still believe in me. I would never want to do anything that would hurt the people of the country, and I'm not the kind of person to do something behind the backs of others. It's not my style. It's just too gruesome. Those who do such a thing for their own political gain are evil.

WSJ: What do you think of the new government's pledge to restore democracy?

Mr. Thaksin: First of all, in the past 70 years, Thailand has seen 17 coups. It's unfortunate, but it's really a part of events in Thailand. But we have tasted democracy, and we believe in democracy. So it's time for Thailand to restore democracy as soon as possible.

WSJ: What do you think of the country's economic policies, particularly its new capital controls policy and plans to limit foreign investment in some sectors?

Mr. Thaksin: Whether you like it or not, we have to live under a capitalist system. And to live in it successfully, we have to open up our economy and our society. Competition is unavoidable. But at the same time you must prepare yourself compete for investment in all its forms. And if you want to compete, then you must comply with international standards, international practices related to economic laws and business laws. If you go back and further. If you make a 180 degree about turn in one day, then the confidence is destroyed. Trust and confidence is the name of the game. If you cannot build trust and confidence, you will lose to your competitors, definitely.

WSJ: Is Thailand's economy heading in the right direction?

Mr. Thaksin: I sympathize with the current government, but sometimes they think too much about short-term problems. ... Thailand's economy is still fundamentally sound. But they need good management. They need a good vision to plan for the long term.

WSJ: Does Thailand need to restore democracy before it's capable of finding a suitable vision?

Mr. Thaksin: That's very important. You need to restore democracy. If you aren't a democratic country, then it is very difficult to deal with other countries. Even minister cannot meet with other [countries'] ministers. You cannot meet ministers from the U.S. You can't do business with the rest of the world because you're not a democratic society.

WSJ: Are you optimistic that the military will be able to restore democracy this year as it promised?

Mr. Thaksin: They have to. Democracy is in the blood of the Thais. They can tolerate [a nonelected government] for a period of time -- one year, one year and half -- but then the return of democracy is necessary.

WSJ: Do you foresee any future role for yourself in Thai politics?

Mr. Thaksin: No. I served my country for almost six years. It's enough for me, and my family. We sacrificed a lot, working day and night, and now it is time for the younger generation to take on the responsibility. I want to go back to my country, and spend time with my family and help Thai society through charitable activities. I can help Thailand outside the political arena.

WSJ: You're one of the few Thai politician I've ever heard of who plans to retire [Mr. Thaksin is 56 years old].

Mr. Thaksin: Well, the age isn't important. It's the length of service. I served almost six years, and now it's time to go back to private life.

WSJ: Do you plan to start any new business ventures?

Mr. Thaksin: I would like to groom my children's business. I want them to set up their own businesses and to help them build it up while I'm not too old. But not for me – I've done enough.

Edited by Khleerm

So please convince me that some place in that conversation Thaksin did not say “if you help me get back in I will fix everything!

How on earth could Singapore do that?

The Singapore government own one very large investment company.Last time I looked they had a portfoilo of about US$70 billion.They don't need Thaksin to <deleted> anything else up.

They have far two much powder and shot to lobby the current bunch of cowboys themselves.

I am honestly amazed,that your single minded hatred for Thaksin has blinded you to the fact that they just might want to talk about their recent business with shincorp. :D Think billion baht deal....Think cock up....I think that the Sing government wants as much information as they can get,don't you think??

He would, however, need to go back on his word that he is finished with politics and will not run for any office...

What's the bid deal...He is a politico nevertheless, and as with all the other politicians, it wouldn't be a problem. "Thai people want me to come back", seems like a good enough reason...

What's the bid deal...He is a politico nevertheless, and as with all the other politicians, it wouldn't be a problem. "Thai people want me to come back", seems like a good enough reason...

Some Thai people. He would still lose the South in a very big way. People in the South were not paid to not vote. They chose not to vote in order to deny him any legitimacy.

Regardless, he continues to show himself to be dishonest, by saying one thing and doing the opposite.

How on earth could Singapore do that?

The Singapore government own one very large investment company.Last time I looked they had a portfoilo of about US$70 billion.They don't need Thaksin to <deleted> anything else up.

They have far two much powder and shot to lobby the current bunch of cowboys themselves.

I am honestly amazed,that your single minded hatred for Thaksin has blinded you to the fact that they just might want to talk about their recent business with shincorp. :D Think billion baht deal....Think cock up....I think that the Sing government wants as much information as they can get,don't you think??

I don’t hate him, hate is a raw emotion that serves no reason. Thaksin made it personal with me and just about every educated person that walks the earth. So I am simply returning the respect he asks for. “Do on to others as you would have them do on to you” applies.

Thaksin says he had nothing to do with it, It was his sons remember his story from a year ago.

Edited by John K