Actor Geoffrey Rush sues Australian newspaper over 'inappropriate behaviour' report

webfact

Actor Geoffrey Rush sues Australian newspaper over 'inappropriate behaviour' report

2017-12-08T060125Z_1_LYNXMPEDB70CH_RTROPTP_3_FILM-PIRATESOFTHECARIBBEAN.JPG

Cast member Geoffrey Rush poses for a portrait while promoting the upcoming movie "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" in Beverly Hills, California U.S., May 20, 2017. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/Files

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian actor Geoffrey Rush said on Friday he had filed a defamation lawsuit against Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper after it published a report about a complaint alleging inappropriate conduct.

The newspaper article last month said an Australian theatre company had received a complaint about "inappropriate behaviour" following the production of King Lear two years ago in which Rush was the star.

Rush has denied any wrongdoing and said he was never told of the complaint at the time. Details of the complaint have not been made public.

"They have splashed spurious claims with bombastic titles on their front pages," the Oscar-winning actor said in a brief press conference in Melbourne.

"This has created irreparable damage to my reputation," he added. "This situation is intolerable and I must now seek vindication of my good name through the courts in Australia."

The Daily Telepgrah Editor Chris Dore said in a statement to Reuters that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp-run newspaper <NWSA.O> will defend itself.

"The Daily Telegraph accurately reported the Sydney Theatre Company received a complaint alleging that Mr Geoffrey Rush had engaged in inappropriate behaviour. We will defend our position in court," Dore said.

Rush's lawsuit said he was seeking damages and a restraint on further publication on the matter.

Last week, Rush voluntarily stepped down as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television until the matter is resolved. 

Australian show business identities have come to his defence, including fellow Australian actor Rachel Griffiths.

Rush's film credits include "Shine", "The King’s Speech" and "Pirates of the Caribbean".

(Reporting by Swati Pandey; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-08

Once again, accusations from unnamed sources that may or may not be true, but published nevertheless. I'm very happy he's suing them so they have to prove it, or not. Unfortunately there will be a lot of the usual "no smoke without fire" garbage from the chattering class.

Not him, but I remember a well known Aussie personality behaving badly with a famous singer ( before she hit the big time ) in full view on the tv screen. He was actually doing the naughty with his hand behind her out of sight of the cameras, but the look on her face would have turned him to stone had he seen it.

She has not to date made a complaint in public, and he must be very old now, so she may not do so, but it did go on for sure with famous people and those they think they can dominate.

I think famous people get so carried away with it all they think they can get away with anything, and sometimes they do.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

19 hours ago, aboctok said:

Lawyers? Hey wait, didn't we skip a step? What happened to his indignant, cringeworthy, tell-nothing interview with Tracy Grimshaw?

Ohh. He's actually angry. Maybe different.

I think you will find that interview was with Don Burke. If I am incorrect, I apologise; I did check google.