RCBO requirements for a new home

canopy

Questions about the new requirements in Thailand:

Does the main breaker have to be RCBO? Even in the case all miniature circuit breakers are RCBO? And if so how to keep the main from tripping anytime leakage is detected?

Do all miniature circuits breakers have to be RCBO? Otherwise where not to use RCBO?

I was looking at some new PEA literature and see the term QOVS. Is this different than RCBO and is it required?

15 minutes ago, Forkinhades said:

Front End Safety-cut is the requirement of PEA, if you don't want all your circuits in event of a fault, then individual RCBOs can be installed. You will need discrimination though, by means of time and milliAmps on your front end.

You could probably get away with just individual RCBOs and no front end unit, assuming your PEA man knows what's he's doing.

Have a word with your sparks and/or the PEA people.

Our dual (at the time, we now have four) consumer units, one RCD each was fine, pretty certainly a UK style split board (2 RCDs) would be fine.

Also, once the man has been and gone what you do is your business.

Our PEA guy is prone to making big mistakes so I am cautious about blindly following anything he advises. He once advised not to follow the instruction sheet from the electrical panel about grounding and that only the most rudimentary, shallow ground rod would do because in Thailand "the dirt is different". I've seen a project he did where posts on hillsides collapsed within months of being installed. It went far deeper than just planted out of level. So now he says an RCBO is required on the main and required on every single circuit additionally. I am skeptical whether this is a requirement or even makes sense. He points at this big glossy picture from Schneider electric attached here to support his assertions.

qovs.jpg.f0157d4447dfced4dd3207f385975058.jpg

As Xy (crossy) stated, once you have your connection, you can do whatever you want. Personally I would go with front End Safety-Cut, and do your MEN connection.
Don't see why the PEA would require additional RCBOs on your final circuits.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Remote. It's interesting that in the glossy I posted that a 5/8" diameter, 2.4M long ground rod like I went ahead and did like the panel instructions said to do now appears to be "required" irregardless of this special dirt he told me about in Thailand, but I don't want to egg him on that. I just want advice to help assure the electrical setup is safe and up to standard.

That glossy is the same as the one I posted here

I will get the translation of the blue area checked, but it seems to imply and either/or situation for the RCBOs.

So either a front end unit or individual units, both would be expensive overkill.

I have two stand alone arc welder installations that don't have RCD/RCBOs as they would only protect the input transformer.  If I hooked the output ground clamp to one ear lobe and touched the electrode to the other ear lobe I would still go up in smoke and the RCBO wouldn't trip!:stoner:

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Are there any circuits for a typical residence that are recommended/required NOT to have RCBO protection?

I always suggest that you have an unprotected circuit for the freezer, coming home after a week with no power to the freezer is not a pleasant experience.

Otherwise, indoor lights no real need (but if you have metal fittings they need to be grounded) , aircons no real need (but they need to be grounded).

Anything outside or to do with water RCD.

Archived