Irish PM sees Britain staying aligned with EU on 'lots of regulations'

rooster59

Irish PM sees Britain staying aligned with EU on 'lots of regulations'

800x800 (5).jpg

Ireland's Taoiseach Leo Varadkar holds a press conference in Dublin, Ireland, December 8, 2017. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne

DUBLIN (Reuters) - The Brexit agreement on the Irish border that assures Northern Ireland will stay aligned with European Union-member Ireland will probably keep Britain in sync with the EU over the longer term, Ireland's prime minister said on Friday.

"Even in, let's say, a totally disastrous scenario where all the negotiations fail and I don't believe this will happen, we have (a clause saying) that these commitments must be upheld in all circumstances, irrespective of the nature of any future agreement," Leo Varadkar told national broadcaster RTE.

"But what phase one was always about was narrowing the parameters, and we are now funnelling and directing things into a situation where I believe the United Kingdom including Northern Ireland will remain in alignment with the EU on lots of regulations."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-09

"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"

Archilochus, 7thc BC.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"But what phase one was always about was narrowing the parameters, and we are now funnelling and directing things into a situation where I believe the United Kingdom including Northern Ireland will remain in alignment with the EU on lots of regulations."

I think it has been obvious for while now.  Walking away is not an option, a hard border with Ireland is not viable, the DUP has May by the goolies (:sad:) and the EU are still running the show.