chiang mai visa run options

jimmyaaa

Usa passport holder . Used 30 day exemption on arrival , and 30 day extension expires soon . Anyone had recent good experience making border run by land ( i dont care where to but must leave outta chiang mai ) ? Staying overnight or 2 , or same day either way....normally id fly but considering bus/car to see the countryside.....Thanks in advance !

If you want to get a tourist visa then Vientiane Laos would be a good option. Apply the morning of one day and pick up the next afternoon. Best days to apply is Tuesday or Wednesday when the visa run vans are not there. You can fly to Udon Thani and take a van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Khai if you decide not to do it overland.

For another 30 day visa exempt entry Mai Sai would be good as long as you have not already done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year.

18 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Mai sai can be done in a day. Greenbus from arcade bus station.

They have a website.

The border town is an experience.

And you can overnight in Chiang Rai if you wish to look around there. There's more going on at weekends.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

I stayed in Mae Sai for the night. There's a few hotels walking distance from the border.

Then I stayed in Chiang Rai and did some tours from there. Local bus runs to the Mekong towns for a few baht. I loved Chiang Saen.

3 hours ago, Ape1983 said:

I went two weeks ago, private taxi 3500 return. Very easy border crossing less than 10 mins. 

Red Ride offers a private car and driver....return trip 2200 baht.  Can stop at White Temple or whatever you would like on the way home as well.  Would be mad to pay 3500!!!

2 hours ago, thomo1978 said:

Red Ride offers a private car and driver....return trip 2200 baht.  Can stop at White Temple or whatever you would like on the way home as well.  Would be mad to pay 3500!!!

3500 is for a Mercedes Benz about 3 years old.  Quiet, smooth and comfortable.  Quite a fair price.  Ride in an old rattling bouncing Toyota with Red Ride if you choose.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

3500 is for a Mercedes Benz about 3 years old.  Quiet, smooth and comfortable.  Quite a fair price.  Ride in an old rattling bouncing Toyota with Red Ride if you choose.

was neither old, rattling, bouncy nor a Toyota!!  In fact the driver was one of the best, smoothest and most courteous I have had in Thailand.  But I'm sure the Mercedes was comfy too.

Unless working I see no point in paying thousands to rush in one day. OP says can stay overnight.

Green bus has big windows and some have toilets ( check when booking ).

Can go one day, stay overnight, look around and back again for under 2,000. Nice way to see the countryside, jungle.

When I did mine we made a bit of a holiday with one night at Mae Sai and a couple in Chiang Rai. White Temple is amazing.

I agree if not short on time the green bus is fine I recently travelled to Nan by bus. Even if you don't book VIP seat its better using the VIP bus.

3500 Baht for 9 hours moving time is a very fair price. Basically 11 hours work for the driver, fuel costs etc

As opposed to Phuket/Samui where a 10 mins ride is 500++ 

10 hours ago, Ape1983 said:

I agree if not short on time the green bus is fine I recently travelled to Nan by bus. Even if you don't book VIP seat its better using the VIP bus.

3500 Baht for 9 hours moving time is a very fair price. Basically 11 hours work for the driver, fuel costs etc

As opposed to Phuket/Samui where a 10 mins ride is 500++ 

Are you serious? People actually pay 500+ baht for a 10 minute ride?

Are farangs insane on Phuket/ Samui?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you serious? People actually pay 500+ baht for a 10 minute ride?

Are farangs insane on Phuket/ Samui?

Not insane - they just need a taxi.  In Bangkok, I've never been successful at negotiating a tuktuk below 200 even when I know for a fact a taxi or Uber is less than half (granted I gave up after a few tries, I just ignore them now).  The farang beach towns are all pretty well locked down by taxi mafia, so 200-500 baht (depending) is going to be the rate you get, again, I gave up on them past a few tries so perhaps it's possible to find someone who will negotiate a reasonable price, but I never did.  Same with Vientiane, a tuktuk is going to be 50k kip or more and I once got it down to 40k!  Facts of life in the tourist zones - legit tourists don't realize how absurd the prices are and set the floor for everyone else.

15 hours ago, cacahootie said:

Not insane - they just need a taxi.  In Bangkok, I've never been successful at negotiating a tuktuk below 200 even when I know for a fact a taxi or Uber is less than half (granted I gave up after a few tries, I just ignore them now).  The farang beach towns are all pretty well locked down by taxi mafia, so 200-500 baht (depending) is going to be the rate you get, again, I gave up on them past a few tries so perhaps it's possible to find someone who will negotiate a reasonable price, but I never did.  Same with Vientiane, a tuktuk is going to be 50k kip or more and I once got it down to 40k!  Facts of life in the tourist zones - legit tourists don't realize how absurd the prices are and set the floor for everyone else.

so much truth here....i took tuctucs first week in chiang mai ( before i started using grab and uber).....200 , 300 , 400 baht quotes for 50 -100 baht uber rides.....and they WILL let you walk off without giving you fair price . Pride and greed......thank god for uber and grabtaxi