SSI benefits and living in Thailand

12 hours ago, Rhys said:

OK....so here is an example...  you have not lived in the USA for over 20-25 years, and you would like to file at 62 years. 6 months, does that mean you have any type of funds coming your way.... Those quick calculators on the SSI WWW cut out saying they don't accept because of there enough credits... 

How do you qualify for [Social Security] retirement benefits?

When you work and pay Social Security taxes [the US government takes this from your paycheck], you earn

“credits” toward Social Security benefits. The number of

credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on

when you were born. If you were born in 1929 or later,

you need 40 credits (10 years of work).

If you stop working before you have enough credits to

qualify for benefits, the credits will remain on your Social Security record. If you return to work later, you can add more credits to qualify. We can’t pay any retirement benefits until you have the required number of credits.

How much will your retirement benefit be?

We base your benefit payment on how much you earned

during your working career. Higher lifetime earnings result in higher benefits. If there were some years you didn’t work or had low earnings, your benefit amount may be lower than if you had worked steadily.

The age at which you decide to retire also affects your

benefit. If you retire at age 62, the earliest possible Social Security retirement age, your benefit will be lower than if you wait.

I think people don't understand that the SSI

[Supplemental Security Income] is called a "means-tested program," meaning it has nothing to do with work history, but strictly with financial need. To meet the SSI income requirements, you must have less than $2,000 in assets (or $3,000 for a couple) and a very limited income. That's the part people are bringing up if you are out of the US.

Edited by elnet1
To add additional information for clarity
12 hours ago, Rhys said:

OK....so here is an example...  you have not lived in the USA for over 20-25 years, and you would like to file at 62 years. 6 months, does that mean you have any type of funds coming your way.... Those quick calculators on the SSI WWW cut out saying they don't accept because of there enough credits... 

Like Jingthing already said you are confusing Social Security pension with SSI....two completely different animals...different governing laws/regulations/polices. 

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's a pathetic society that imprisons such a huge percentage of its population often a result of the "crime" of being poor.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think you really are badly misinformed. You never worked at a prison or represented the accused. Swearing under oath that you need welfare and cannot work because you are injured and agreeing to not leave the country. Then leaving the country to live  in Thailand because in your mind it is cheaper is wrong whether you are rich or poor. But blame the prisons and blame society and blame poverty as all liars and criminals like to do to feel good about their intentional deceit. Peace 

8 hours ago, elnet1 said:

How do you qualify for [Social Security] retirement benefits?

When you work and pay Social Security taxes [the US government takes this from your paycheck], you earn

“credits” toward Social Security benefits. The number of

credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on

when you were born. If you were born in 1929 or later,

you need 40 credits (10 years of work).

If you stop working before you have enough credits to

qualify for benefits, the credits will remain on your Social Security record. If you return to work later, you can add more credits to qualify. We can’t pay any retirement benefits until you have the required number of credits.

How much will your retirement benefit be?

We base your benefit payment on how much you earned

during your working career. Higher lifetime earnings result in higher benefits. If there were some years you didn’t work or had low earnings, your benefit amount may be lower than if you had worked steadily.

The age at which you decide to retire also affects your

benefit. If you retire at age 62, the earliest possible Social Security retirement age, your benefit will be lower than if you wait.

I think people don't understand that the SSI

[Supplemental Security Income] is called a "means-tested program," meaning it has nothing to do with work history, but strictly with financial need. To meet the SSI income requirements, you must have less than $2,000 in assets (or $3,000 for a couple) and a very limited income. That's the part people are bringing up if you are out of the US.

thanks for the information

On 1/22/2018 at 6:18 PM, Jingthing said:

I think it's a pathetic society that imprisons such a huge percentage of its population often a result of the "crime" of being poor.

I think it's pathetic that with what the US spends on law enforcement we can incarcerate a much larger percentage of the criminals running around, poor or otherwise.

I think you really are badly misinformed. You never worked at a prison or represented the accused. Swearing under oath that you need welfare and cannot work because you are injured and agreeing to not leave the country. Then leaving the country to live  in Thailand because in your mind it is cheaper is wrong whether you are rich or poor. But blame the prisons and blame society and blame poverty as all liars and criminals like to do to feel good about their intentional deceit. Peace 

It's a matter of perspective. I believe the future is a basic guaranteed income. The most advanced nations are already starting to do that. If a person can live better abroad for the same money it would be in a humane nations interest to allow and even encourage that for some citizens. With automation most work will be obsolete. Of course people still need incentives to work. You're living in an immoral past and present where poverty is criminalized and the most heinous criminals are the super rich.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:31 PM, Jingthing said:

Why not just shoot them?

Why not just eliminate all law, then we'd have no criminals.

Sure, the prisons in the US are full of poor mothers that were caught stealing bread to feed their starving children.

Edited by mogandave
26 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why not just eliminate all law, then we'd have no criminals.

Sure, the prisons in the US are full of poor mothers that were caught stealing bread to feed their starving children.

100 percent false. You are way to of line in truth and fact. Freedom of speech you have but this statement shows you like to talk about subjects you know nothing about.

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He was being sarcastic dear.

Just as reasonable a suggestion as just shooting them. 

Why should some people be allowed to break laws most people are required to abide?

If the US loses rule of law (which it could well) it will be a nightmare.

Just as reasonable a suggestion as just shooting them. 

Why should some people be allowed to break laws most people are required to abide?

If the US loses rule of law (which it could well) it will be a nightmare.
Yes but putting so many people in prison is barbaric especially because US prisons have nothing to do with rehabilitation.

You do not seem to know much about US prisons. 

In any event, this is getting off topic. 

I know that the U.S. prison system is about punishment and thus the recidivism rate is very high. I know that the percentage locked up is similar to authoritarian regimes. I know about institutionalized racism. I know more advanced nations do much better. I know many prisons are for corporate profit. I know about near slave labor in prisons. Americans should be ashamed.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I know that the U.S. prison system is about punishment and thus the recidivism rate is very high. I know that the percentage locked up is similar to authoritarian regimes. I know about institutionalized racism. I know more advanced nations do much better. I know many prisons are for corporate profit. I know about near slave labor in prisons. Americans should be ashamed.

You "knowing" something doesn't make it so.

You crack me up.