transfer of visa in old passport to new passport

Hi,

I plan to get a new german passport next week at the 20th december here in thailand which will then be issued 2-3 weeks later.

My current passport has a SETV in it which expires on the 25th this month. 

Do I have to go to the immigration for the 30 day extension before or after I applied for a new passport ? Does it matter ?

Now to the question in the title:

According to the german embassy I need to get a paper for 1000 baht from them for the thai immigration which verifies that they issued a new passport to me. However I got  a new passport here from the german embassy 3 years ago and ran into kinda huge trouble when I wanted to leave thailand because I had only my new blank passport with me without the visa in it and the old passport the embassy made invalid without the paper for the immigration. I then had to get the paper faxed to the immigration which was very very complicated.

Do they "transfer" my current visa into the new passport or do they just make the "old" passport invalid and give me the paper for the immigration without the visa in the new passport ?

I just want to be prepared and know everything this time because the last time I trusted the embassy which was a mistake.

Thank you for your help guys :signthaivisa:

First, visas are never transferred. What they transfer is the current entry stamp from your old passport (with an annotation) together with any extensions. It is those extensions which tend to lead to trouble. Usually, only the immigration office that provided the extension(s) will do the transfer, and they will generally require that stupid letter from the embassy saying they issued a new passport in the expectation that you would use it.

Generally speaking, if you do not have any extensions, there is no need for the letter. Immigration at the airport, and at land crossings, will generally transfer regular entry stamps without trouble, and send you on your way. If you had the experience where they refused, I would be interested in hearing where this occurred.

If you have an unexpired multiple entry visa or re-entry permit, remember that you must use both the old passport and new passport to enter Thailand in order to use the old visa/permit.

• Like 2

They didnt let me leave at the friendship bridge on the Thai-Lao Border in Nongkai. I didnt started to discuss the matter there with the officer because I was very confused and a little bit shocked. He told me to go to the immigration "headquarter" in Nongkai. The IOs there were very friendly and with the help of my thai gf we were able to figure things out. I missed my flight and wasnt able to follow my travel plans though.

To be honest I still dont fully understand what you suggest now. Could you tell me what you would do in my position ? Im on a SETV atm and plan to get another SETV by the end of january with my new passport. But first I really want to make sure I dont run into trouble again because the german embassy told me last time I dont need the letter which was simply wrong.

UK Citizen here :

I left Nong Khai with a new PP and a letter from my Embassy.

I showed them my old PP and the new one and the letter and they stamped me out in the new PP

Straight forward and no problem, just took a while to fill some forms out and get photocopies done