Woman tricked out of B3mn by Phuket con gang

webfact

Woman tricked out of B3mn by Phuket con gang

Eakkapop Thongtub

1513152994_1-org.jpg

Police yesterday arrested three suspects for the gambling con, but one suspect evaded capture. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Officers from the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) and Thalang Police yesterday (Dec 12) arrested two men and one woman who are said to be part of a four-member gang who conned a woman out of more than B3 million in a gambling con after pretending to be interested in doing business with her.

One member of the gang managed to escape arrest.

In addition, one of the men arrested yesterday was also arrested in May of this year for an identical scam.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-tricked-out-of-b3mn-by-phuket-con-gang-65119.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-13

This is very common. Tried this with my Thai wife more than 10 years ago. Phoned about renting one of our homes, wanted to deal with my Thai wife only. Big talk about money no problem. Drive her to a fancy Karon hotel to meet the money man. Money man starts talking about how he made his money by gambling. Tried to get my wife to drink a spiked water. My wife left and phoned me to collect her. Lucky escape. We phoned the police to report but they were long gone from the hotel.

Sounds like the Philippine card scam which tourists often fall prey to where you're befriended by a local and invited for dinner at their house. After the meal, you're asked to join in a friendly game of cards. Once you've won a few times, the stake increases and your winning streak disappears.

11 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Wonder what kind of interest they promised her for the loan?  Had to have been enough to get the greed in her to loan them the money.

Quite right  ... these scammers pray on Thai greed for a big quick easy profit.  Plus 'gambling' is very exciting/sexy to Thais.