Britain's May defeated in parliament over Brexit blueprint

webfact

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I would like to think you are right, but the following quote from Verhofstadt suggests otherwise:

"He told the parliament: "Yesterday, Emmanuel Macron, the new French president, spoke about an open door. That if Britain changes its mind it would find an open door.

"I agree. But like Alice in Wonderland, not all the doors are the same.

"It will be a brand new door, with a new Europe, a Europe without rebates, without complexity, with real powers and with unity."

Isn't he the one who said that all countries would have to join the Euro and that they were going to insist on a united states of Europe?  Clearly a lunatic who likes the sound of his own voice.  Didn't realise he was on the Brexit negotiating team though :smile: 

But! if that were the case then we wouldn't stay.  It's not going to happen though.

Edited by dunroaming

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Isn't he the one who said that all countries would have to join the Euro and that they were going to insist on a united states of Europe?  Clearly a lunatic who likes the sound of his own voice.  Didn't realise he was on the Brexit negotiating team though :smile: 

But! if that were the case then we wouldn't stay.  It's not going to happen though.

Mr Verhofstadt is the chief Brexit representative for the European Parliament.

This is my point.  People like him are determined to punish the UK for damaging the United States of Europe dream. They will pounce on any signs of weakness, e.g. Westminster voting against the final deal.

I'd have preferred a cross party Brexit negotiating team for the UK, and that would have avoided all the party political in-fighting. But that was never going to happen, no matter which party was in government.

An Austrian MP weighs into the Brexit issue, it appears nearly all political environments have spineless people who fear rather than accept difficult challenges lay ahead.

Brexit should be cancelled, Austrian prime minister Christian Kern says - The Independenthttps://apple.news/A7LAjv-1yQhmrcKGi7i23cw

Those politicians that accept defeat or say some political issues are too difficult should maybe consider their careers & allow those that are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

No, I didn't cite it as proof of the necessity of having another referendum. I did cite it as proof of the hypocrisy of Brexiters. And the article was dated May 16, 2016. So was Farage a spent force before the referendum, too? Pesky things, facts.

What Farage said about fighting on, and the fact that nobody (except remain) was interested in it, is not proof of anything much. Certainly not "the hypocrisy of Brexiters". Yet you, over and over and over, try to project Farage's opinion on the matter onto people who have shown no interest in it, which is just plain old intellectual dishonesty.

Edited by Khun Han

6 hours ago, Khun Han said:

What Farage said about fighting on, and the fact that nobody (except remain) was interested in it, is not proof of anything much. Certainly not "the hypocrisy of Brexiters". Yet you, over and over and over, try to project Farage's opinion on the matter onto people who have shown no interest in it, which is just plain old intellectual dishonesty.

Nobody was interested in what the founder and leader of the Brexit movement said about campaigning again should the first Brexit referendum fail? Sounds plausible. In Oppositeland.

47 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Nobody was interested in what the founder and leader of the Brexit movement said about campaigning again should the first Brexit referendum fail? Sounds plausible. In Oppositeland.

So, where we are in this particular debate is that I interpret the silence which greeted Farage's suggestion about having yet another referendum as disinterest. Whereas you interpret it as approval. Interesting logic you have: a politician's failure to arouse any palpable interest in one of their rallying calls means that their public is very interested in and approving of said call. Do you live on planet Earth?