D.i.y.

macb

I am interested in what DIY (Do it yourself) you do around your home?

I like to make repairs etc around my home bit of plumbing bit of electrics and of course the garden stuff.

In the UK I had everything tool wise all at hand if I needed, but here it is very different, I have managed over 2 yrs to accumulate a screw drivers saw spanners nails screws etc but if I saw to the wife I want to buy an electric plane she replies for what? So I bought a hand plane.

In the village its well borrow somebody's not need your own mmmmmmmmmmm. Plus I find they don't look after tools either

Do you experience this ??

I have bought quite a comprehensive set of tools and can do most things around the house, also got a few farms and machinery to work them plus contract farming. For my home tools (incl. elec plain) I have built a cupboard/bench where all tools are locked up and only I have the key. If somebody does not return a borrowed tool I set my wife on them. I haven't lost anything yet!

I have less control on the farms, with several people working for me, but keep a watchful eye on them. I do not borrow tools myself.

There's quite a good toolshop in Surin. Take the road south from bus station, turn right at xroads and it's about 100 metres on right.

I have bought quite a comprehensive set of tools and can do most things around the house, also got a few farms and machinery to work them plus contract farming. For my home tools (incl. elec plain) I have built a cupboard/bench where all tools are locked up and only I have the key. If somebody does not return a borrowed tool I set my wife on them. I haven't lost anything yet!

I have less control on the farms, with several people working for me, but keep a watchful eye on them. I do not borrow tools myself.

There's quite a good toolshop in Surin. Take the road south from bus station, turn right at xroads and it's about 100 metres on right.

THanks for that will look next time in Surin although we have good toll shops in Burriram its purseuading the wife to let me buy, I know what you mean about lock and key on tools my 4 stroke strimmer is under lock and key

I designed (adapted the local design actually) supervised and did some of each type of work done in building our house so no arguements from the wife on buying tools...

Power tools:......so far I've got a good Makita drill (3/4 inch chuck hammer drill....a really really good tool), a small single speed cheap drill for predrilling nail holes (Clinton, cheap), a hand power plane (Makita), a belt sander (Makita), a hand router (Clinton), a Bosch circular saw (about 7-1/2 inch I guess), a Makita circular saw (about 10 inch I guess), a concrete vibrator, a cement mixer, two dremel tools with attachments and a flex shaft with attachments, wheel grinder.

Hand tools:.....rebar bending tools up to 7/8 inch, misc hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, wrenches, sockets, chisels, hand saw, straight edges for stucco finishing, trowels, wrecking bars, post hole digger, shovels, jobs (heavy hoe) and misc garden tools.... misc jewelry making tools. A torch for soldering.

I've also got a 9 horsepower diesel Kubota two wheel tractor and a plow, disc, harrow, furrowing attachment, and tube pump. Also a Robin weed cutter and a two stroke portable light weight irrigation pump.

I've also got a multimeter and an assortment of tools and parts for making electronic prototypes (bread boards, misc. IC's, transistors, Opto-electronics, etc.

And these are only my tools in Thailand (almost all purchased here)...back in the old country I've got a ton of stuff (maybe two tons of stuff) stashed in a friends shop...it would sure be great to get all that stuff over here but I'm not sure if that will ever happen.

I hope this list will help your wife realize that the few things you want to purchase are really quite reasonable and even minimal compared to what other people buy!!!

Chownah

I forgot my orbital sander, two angle grinders with various blades, bench vise, assortment of C-clamps (2inch through 10 inch), and two bar clamps two metres long...and my glue gun, plumb bobs torpedo levels, and tape measures, corner squares, 30 cm scales, and sharpening stones including a couple of diamond files which are great for sharpening all kinds of cutting bits. I've also got a big 30 kilogram clevis pin I use as an anvil. Also all the different saw blades including dados and moulding cutters...also all the bits for the router including some molding cutters.

Chownah

I hope to bring a 40 foot container over this year, wifes name so duty free, thai returning home, i have been advised to fill it up, so going to bring all tools, sit down tractor lawnmower, jacks, hydralic motorcycle lift, also a good supply of tinned ferang food, and a few cases of bitter............. :o

Cownah,

I like your style man. My wife is about to ship router,mitre and chop saw, power plane, belt and orbital sanders and the list goes on and on, even includes a mig welder!

She can and does actually use all of these here in the UK.

We dare not bring all the tools we love---I feel sure the customs boys would give us a problem.

Things like angle grinders, breakers for concrete etc we have sold but retained a couple of good 110 volt transormers with leads etc.

How readily available are quality tools there? How do they compare to English prices?

Chownah:

Well I dont think I would use that many hahaha but thanks anyway.

I have got a water pump as well spirit level, pliers, wood saw, screw drivers, mole grips adjustable spanner , 2 Hammers a good hammer drill. and a socket set.

So not bad in camparison . Just lack some electrical bits

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got a chainsaw?

I ask where I could hire one a few weeks back and was told they're illegal in Thailand...w.t.f? Can anyone confirm this?

I've got a heap of blisters just healing up, and I like to avoid more next time I visit...

Cheers,

Anybody got a chainsaw?

I ask where I could hire one a few weeks back and was told they're illegal in Thailand...w.t.f? Can anyone confirm this?

I've got a heap of blisters just healing up, and I like to avoid more next time I visit...

Cheers,

Yes they are illegal if I am not mistaken you have to have a license or letter from the Police or some Government Office. Ilegal tree felling does take place and the Police are constantly checking pick-ups with fresh timber on: Thailand is Conservation conscious

I have a chain saw, brought it in from \uk in my suitcase. I did not however realise that they were illegal here!!!!!!!!!! I have always been discreet anyway when using it, but will have to be more careful now.......thanks for the info....... :o

I have a chain saw, brought it in from \uk in my suitcase. I did not however realise that they were illegal here!!!!!!!!!! I have always been discreet anyway when using it, but will have to be more careful now.......thanks for the info....... :o

Ray you bugger:

What else did you have hidden your suitcase matey :D

How readily available are quality tools there? How do they compare to English prices?

There is quite a good selection of tools available, from the cheap Chinese brands to decent stuff like Bosch, Stanley, etc.

I am not sure of the UK prices, but I recently bought a Bosch angle grinder and Bosch professional battery operated drill/screwdriver for what seemed like reasonable prices (but sorry, can't remember how much :o )

I’ve been slowly building up my tool collection too. I’m trying to stick with Bosch professional. I’ve got hammer drills, circular saw, angle grinder and a few others.

I’m away working most of the time and apart from drilling the odd hole in a wall for picture hooks the relatives get to use them more than I do.

So far the relatives have used my tools to do the shop fittings in 3 of our shops and build 2 houses so I’m getting value out of the tools. They look after them and replace grinder discs etc if used on jobs that don’t involve my buildings.

I also bought a cheap Clinton brand hammer drill 4 years ago and that still works.

I’m looking for a DeWalt dealer in Ubon so I can replace the 110v battery charger on a cordless hammer drill. Has anyone seen one?

Farma,

Try the Home Pro franchise if there is one in Ubon, the Ptty store has a pretty good selection of DeWalt.

Don't happen to be a Mat Kenseth fan by chance?

If you can't find it there, give me a shout and I can probe from this end.

I’ve been slowly building up my tool collection too. I’m trying to stick with Bosch professional. I’ve got hammer drills, circular saw, angle grinder and a few others.

I’m away working most of the time and apart from drilling the odd hole in a wall for picture hooks the relatives get to use them more than I do.

So far the relatives have used my tools to do the shop fittings in 3 of our shops and build 2 houses so I’m getting value out of the tools. They look after them and replace grinder discs etc if used on jobs that don’t involve my buildings.

I also bought a cheap Clinton brand hammer drill 4 years ago and that still works.

I’m looking for a DeWalt dealer in Ubon so I can replace the 110v battery charger on a cordless hammer drill. Has anyone seen one?

Edited by dvk1951

I think the best place for tools in Ubon is the huge hardware store on the left as you drive on the main road from Warin into Ubon (opposite Modern furniture).

There is a new large Home Hub going up on the Si Sa Ket road, but last time I stopped by (a week ago) it wasn't open yet.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike I know the hardware place you mentioned and will take a look in there. That Home Hub place is huge, I dreading taking the wife in there when it opens. She's spotted it and can't wait for it to open.

Thanks Mike I know the hardware place you mentioned and will take a look in there. That Home Hub place is huge, I dreading taking the wife in there when it opens. She's spotted it and can't wait for it to open.

Ha ha - I have the opposite problem !

I want to browse the tools, my wife says you buy everything already, why you want look more, go eat first !

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know that this is in the Isaan forum, but thought that you DYI experts might be able to shed some light on my question. I am aware that HOMEPRO offers a wide range of home handy tools and would be the best place to buy those hard to find tools. But what about the “hardware” stores in rural/upcountry areas.

We will be in central Thailand between Nakon Sawan and Singburi and I want to start our “collection” of tools to use around the house.

Are the tools sold in rural hardware stores just as good as those in HOMEPRO if it is the same brand? I would have thought that the pricing would be cheaper at these stores rather then at HOMEPRO.

We currently have no tools and didn’t ship any from our home country. I also want to buy cordless drills etc, are these readily available in rural areas?

Any information/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Makyai

Hi,

I know that this is in the Isaan forum, but thought that you DYI experts might be able to shed some light on my question. I am aware that HOMEPRO offers a wide range of home handy tools and would be the best place to buy those hard to find tools. But what about the “hardware” stores in rural/upcountry areas.

We will be in central Thailand between Nakon Sawan and Singburi and I want to start our “collection” of tools to use around the house.

Are the tools sold in rural hardware stores just as good as those in HOMEPRO if it is the same brand? I would have thought that the pricing would be cheaper at these stores rather then at HOMEPRO.

We currently have no tools and didn’t ship any from our home country. I also want to buy cordless drills etc, are these readily available in rural areas?

Any information/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Makyai

A selection of tools is available in rural hardware stoors, but usually with emphasis on the cheaper brands. Also make sure you test a power tool in the shop. I tested a drill, and it vibrated badly, chuck off centre, so I bought a different one. Months later I was in the same shop with a friend, he tried a drill, and it was the very same one I had rejected earlier - they just put it back on the shelf !