How to renew O-A visa?

I would just like to comment on something that happens all too often in this forum.  There are people who post here that have been living in Thailand for years and know their way around the procedures.  Then there are people who have never lived there or maybe have lived there for a short time.  This second group of people ask for help on this forum.  They maybe have not yet learned the proper terminology but still need help.  In this case it is obvious that the OP wanted to know how to stay in Thailand beyond a year.  Some replied with considered and informative advice while others are much less helpful and give demeaning answers.  The OP could have simply been advised that in order to stay longer he needs a extension of stay and not a visa extension and then how to do accomplish it.

I too am a newbie and partially rely on this forum for information.  I hope if I ask a question, I get answers that at least try to help and not answers that are critical because I don't know the correct terminology.  

2 cents

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Glenn Roe said:

I hope if I ask a question, I get answers that at least try to help and not answers that are critical because I don't know the correct terminology.  

If a person uses the wrong terminology, likely he will get the wrong answer. In the main I think many helpful posters parse what they are reading to eliminate any wrong terminology that may be presented. But nobody can read minds.

(It wears thin hearing Retirement Visa when actually an Extension is what is being discussed. I am afraid many who have been living here many years are guilty, along with Thai Immigration and many agents. Some responders here are positively saint-like in their patience.)

On 12/15/2017 at 6:41 AM, Lim Yuan Hai said:

How if owner didn't do it?

You constantly harass the owner, demand his signed copy of ID (or Passport), his house book, etc. And you have to do it every time you stay in another place and return to your own place. This is how police state operates and you still want to retire here? Welcome to the Land of Smile. Of course you can pay a fine for your owner's busy schedule and not willing to comply with your constant harassment and demands. ????

Edited by onera1961

36 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

You constantly harass the owner, demand his signed copy of ID (or Passport), his house book, etc. And you have to do it every time you stay in another place and return to your own place. This is how police state operates and you still want to retire here? Welcome to the Land of Smile. Of course you can pay a fine for your owner's busy schedule and not willing to comply with your constant harassment and demands. ????

It is not your harassment - it is his responsibility renting to a foreigner.  

OMG, three pages to explain ME O-A visa, Permission to stay, ME O visa, renewal of permission to stay. Do we have a FAQ or similar page that explains succinctly (not more than few sentences) possibly with images of different types of visa, visa validity for each type, permission of stay for each visa type, extension for each visa type, etc.

With an O-A visa (ME), if you leave and enter Thailand multiple times, you may be questioned by TI because their notions of how people move in this cheap airfare world are very very outdated. I entered 10 times this year using an O-A visa and each time I got 365-day permission to stay from the date of each entry. On my 10th entry, the IO asked me what I'm doing in Thailand? 

Can somebody comment on this paragraph found in Royal Thai Embassy, Washington DC?

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom:
Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

Edited by onera1961

8 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Can somebody comment on this paragraph found in Royal Thai Embassy, Washington DC?

It is out of date since it was written when they only issued single entry OA visas. Now it is only multiple entry OA visas that allows unlimited entries for a year from the date of issue. 

Have you noticed the date on this topic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is out of date since it was written when they only issued single entry OA visas. Now it is only multiple entry OA visas allows unlimited entries for a year from the date of issue. 

Have you notice the date on this topic,

Thanks @ubonjoe. No, i have not noticed the date. I did not know that there was single entry O-A once upon a time

Edited by onera1961

Folks, Seems some of you don't know the difference between a non immigrant O-A Multi-Entry Visa and and a non imm O visa 90 days (that can be Extended One Year).

The O-A Visa bought in one's home country has an initial One Year term. Upon initial entry into Thailand the person is stamped in for one year. However, upon Exit and Reentry into Thailand during that year the person is stamped back in again for one year from the date of rentry. No Reentry Permits are needed in this first year because ofcthe Multi-Entry aspecy of the O-A Visa. Normally the O-A visa holder will time an Exit and Reentry into Thailand just a day or two before the one year Expiry.  This will give nearly full 12 months out into the future. Thus giving anorther year of a permission to stay.  (Two years total stay on a visa advertised as a one year visa). In the second year the Multi-Entry aspect of this O-A visa is not available. Exits from Thailand in the Second Year require a Reentry permit to keep the second year alive.

At the end of the second year the person has an option to apply for a one year Extension of Stay or go home and get another O-A visa.

With a Non O Visa 90 days - one applies for a one year Extension of Stay if staying longer is desired.

The application process for a one year Extension of Stay ofvan O Visa is not a renewal in the technical sense of the word because the application process requires starting all over again (the word renewal would often imply a shortened process relying on the original Extension application documents to abbreviate the process - but that does not happen).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hello all (and JDGRUEN in particular).  I just read JDGRUEN's append to this forum which is exactly the kind of info that I'm looking for.  I have an OA ME VISA that is marked "VALID UNTIL 13 JUNE 2019".  But I've been in-and-out of Thailand numerous times, and the latest stamp from this past April states "ADMITTED UNTIL 7 APRIL 2020". 

So it sounds like my "1 year visa" will actually be valid until at least 7 April 2020 (thus about 22 months), correct?

Does anyone know if I need to do ANYTHING to ensure my visa extension before the original expiration date of 13 June 2019?  I really need to understand this because it so happens that I'll be flying out of Thailand on this coming 12 June 2019 (next month), and not returning until 18 July, so I really don't want to to come back and discover that I needed a special extension stamp, or something like that.  (I might mention that I did go to Chang Watthana Thai Immigration recently and spoke briefly to an immigration agent there... it was tough for me to understand her, but I did get the impression that I do need to do some procedure before June 13 2019)

I have started to bring funds over to my Thai bank account to get to the 800K THB requirement, but I won't have that much money in my account by 13 June 2019, but it seems to me that I won't really need that money there until 2020 when I have to apply for that extension before April.  Am I understanding correctly?

Also, I've had the pleasure of the Multiple Entry (ME) visa up until now, but it sounds like I'll lose that "feature".  So should I be getting a re-entry permit before I leave on my 12 June trip?  Is it possible for me to purchase a new ME permet valid for one year?

Thanks very much for any clarifications anyone can provide on this.

Edited by carlf

3 minutes ago, carlf said:

But I've been in-and-out of Thailand numerous times, and the latest stamp from this past April states "ADMITTED UNTIL 7 APRIL 2020". 

You will need to apply for an extension until  shortly before that day next year.

4 minutes ago, carlf said:

Does anyone know if I need to do ANYTHING to ensure my visa extension before the original expiration date of 13 June 2019? 

You will need a re-entry permit to keep the April 7th 2020 permit to stay you have now valid when your return from your trip.

You can get a single re-entry permit for a fee of 1000 baht or a multiple for a fee of 3800 baht.

• Thanks 1

Hello I am confused and my english is not so good, so i am so sorry if my question was already replied.

I hold a NON-INM O VISA MULTIPLE ENTRY that show valid until 26th july 2019. 

I will go out of the kingdom on June 23th and I planning to come back to thailand on september. and when I come back I would like to have the same status (MULTIPLE ENTRY - O)

How I must to proceed?

Thanks a lot

Edited by Alkay

I will go out of the kingdom on June 23th and I planning to come back to thailand on september. and when I come back I would like to have the same status (MULTIPLE ENTRY - O)

How I must to proceed?

You would have to obtain a new non immigrant O visa at a Thai Consulate.  Depending on why your current visa was issued and your nationality will determine where it might, or might not, be obtained.  

Edited by lopburi3

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You would have to obtain a new non immigrant O visa at a Thai Consulate.  Depending on why your current visa was issued and your nationality will determine where it might, or might not, be obtained.  

Thank you for your answer, I forget to comment that my VISA is marriage VISA I am from spain.

So I can not renew it in here on june? 40 days prior  the actual one expire?

12 minutes ago, Alkay said:

Thank you for your answer, I forget to comment that my VISA is marriage VISA I am from spain.

So I can not renew it in here on june? 40 days prior  the actual one expire?

You obtain visas outside of Thailand - are you asking about obtaining an extension of stay for one year from immigration?  There is no such thing as a multi entry but you can obtain multi re-entry permits for an extension of stay.  For that you would need wife/financial proof/paperwork.  Some offices allow up to 45 days early but other only 30.  Bangkok allows up to 45 days.  But it appears you will not be here 30 days later to obtain (review time) so obtaining a new O visa while in Spain seems best.  Multi entry allows 90 day stays and during last month of any stay you could obtain one year extension from immigration if meeting conditions.  

Edited by lopburi3

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You obtain visas outside of Thailand - are you asking about obtaining an extension of stay for one year from immigration?  There is no such thing as a multi entry but you can obtain multi re-entry permits for an extension of stay.  For that you would need wife/financial proof/paperwork.  Some offices allow up to 45 days early but other only 30.  Bangkok allows up to 45 days.  But it appears you will not be here 30 days later to obtain (review time) so obtaining a new O visa while in Spain seems best.  Multi entry allows 90 day stays and during last month of any stay you could obtain one year extension from immigration if meeting conditions.  

Clear as water... Thanks a lot. ????

On 5/2/2019 at 12:08 AM, carlf said:

So it sounds like my "1 year visa" will actually be valid until at least 7 April 2020 (thus about 22 months), correct?

No, please understand your visa is valid up to the Valid Until date in your visa sticker, not Admitted until on the IO stamp (a square stamp). In your case your visa will be valid until VALID UNTIL 13 JUNE 2019.

After that if you want to enter Thailand, you must have a reentry permit. When you get an reentry permit, that reentry permit will have a Length of Stay Until Date 7 April 2020. That's when your stay ends. Without a reentry permit you cannot enter Thailand after VALID UNTIL 13 JUNE 2019 using your O-A visa. . 

Edited by onera1961

On 12/15/2017 at 6:41 AM, Lim Yuan Hai said:

I am very confused with your TM30 notification's explanation.
Is it the owner duty for TM30 notification? What's got to do with tenant? How if owner didn't do it?

Yes, it is the owner's duty but you get be penalized if not done. Hence, many people do it themselves using the docs mentioned from owners. My real-estate agent does it for me. You can insist your real estate agent agent to do it for you also. For everything, there are two ways - agents or DIY. Many people feel accomplished when they do it themselves. 

Edited by onera1961