The Airport On Phangan

I was just reading the Phangan News and the signs posted in protest of the new airport was the topic. I was wondering for those of you who live on the Island, maybe SBK is the only person living there, if there is any locals trying to get the officials to try and slow things down a bit.

I live there and don't know how things really work, but isn't the over building hurting everyone already there? Is there a big voice or any voice for that matter of concern? I know living on Thong Nai Pan it's very hard to explain to some of the Thai that many Farang that have been coming for years aren't going to be coming back because they don't want to spend 400 baht and up for a bungalow.

And what about the water? Two years ago the water was in very short supply. What happens if there is another draught? There must be 5% more bungalows on the island now, not that there are more tourist. For 3 months all I heard was Mai Mee Farang.

Is this a helpless situation? Surely the Farang that live there see what danger lies a head, what about the Thai that have been there for generations?

Seville, my understanding is it is still in the planning stages, last I heard the land was being surveyed for the possibility of an airport. Yes, there has been a feasibility study but the guy I talked to who owned land next to where they want to build an airport said part of the study was to even see if the land was strong enough for a plane to land. I don't know the outcome of the feasibility study but I would take all things you hear with a grain of salt. The jungle vine gossip on Koh Phangan is quite strong and many things get very distorted. I would wait before you get too upset over gossip posted on Beckman's Phangan news, alot of the stuff posted there is just hearsay from farang living/staying on the island.

The same happens on Samui, people talking about

the new airport being built near Nathon.

Some say the land has been allocated already,

some say it's all talk. Alot of locals are against it

saying the island is being overbuilt, others want it because

it will bring more tourists and more MONEY.

I agree with the locals saying the island is being overbuilt.

Too many house's for rent and not enough and not enough people

to fill them!!